Is it as fun as the real deal?

Discussion in 'Dungeons and Dragons Online' started by rage89, Aug 6, 2013.

1. rage89

rage89 Member

I played a lot of Dungeon And Dragons as a kid and young teen, but I haven't taken into any games yet. I'm interested in getting my some Dungeon and Dragons games soon and does anyone have any recommendations for the best ones? I have an old copy of Buldurs Gate that I plan to play for fun and I hear that's very similar to D&D.

Is there other D&D games out there worth checking out? I'll have to check out D&D online in the meantime.

2. Cutler4Life

Cutler4Life Active Member

I really didn't even know this existed! Im asking myself the same question you're asking the community! Someone please answer, im excited

3. Zombie Lad

Zombie Lad Well-Known Member

You never knew D&D was originally a pencil to paper type of game? You created dungeons and would have a dungeon master. It's much more different than what we see in game form, because you're going off imagination rather than visuals. It's still a really great time as I still play it on some weekends. Always a good time hanging with my friends, playing D&D with a cold brew in hand. Great times.

As for it being as fun as the original, the games are more deep in what you can get. But I still have a fond feeling of creating my own world on paper and having this fun time making things up.

4. BattleAxe

BattleAxe Well-Known Member

I think I actually have a copy of the board game in my attic, but I haven't got around to playing it so far. Definitely check out the D&D online though, it's really fun and you'll enjoy it :)

5. Nickey22

Nickey22 Active Member

I played a lot of D&D back in elementary school and middle school. I haven't played it since sadly. I enjoyed it back then and I just loved the idea behind creating your own world. I remember fondly drawing up caves, dungeons and villages and the like. It certainly is a fun game to get into, especially more so when playing with a bunch of friends with a few sheets of paper, a dice and so on.

The video games are great fun as well, so you should check those out too. :)

6. Lafcadio

Lafcadio Member

The paper & pencil game was great! I used to play it a lot back in high school - that's actually how I met some of my best friends. The possibilities were limited only by your imagination, and with my friends, that meant no limit! Now that we've spread out around the planet, we still get together sometimes via WOW or DDO.

7. ahisel4

ahisel4 Member

I found that DDO, while a fun experience, wasn't really anything like pen and paper D&D. Since there's no dungeon master or anything it's much more forgiving at times and much less at others, and feels a lot more linear. The graphics are very good, and it does do a good job of being a good experience in general. Whether it's a good D&D experience is for more seasoned players to decide.

If you want to get back into pen and paper D&D, I actually recommend Pathfinder, which is based on 3.5 rules on the OGL but is at this point vastly improved. Or, you could try to find a copy of 3.5 rules, which shouldn't be too hard since WoTC is actually reprinting them and they're showing up in Barnes and Nobles and the like.

8. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I never played the pen and paper D&D, but I used to play the video game it was fun, but that was several years ago I don't know how it is now, but if you have never played it I would highly recommend trying it!

9. Rivere

Rivere Member

D&D is a very addictive game but its dying off like most other games sadly but its worth checking out the ones on steam and possibly enjoy it buying extras :)

10. Mizali

Mizali Member

There's honestly not really much comparison between D&D Online and playing pen and paper D&D, but I think they did a decent job of translating the game over to an MMO. The result was pretty darned good to as much as I could expect, and probably better than I hoped for.

11. TheViper

TheViper Well-Known Member

The version you are talking about was alright. I still prefer the "old school" method. It was better than expect and that is saying a whole lot.

12. Mizali

Mizali Member

Yeah, exactly. They still made quite a few decisions that I didn't agree with (like the fact that the Holy Symbols for Clerics looked completely ridiculous, and I hated them so much that I couldn't even play a Cleric) but overall it was relatively true to the source material.

13. hydrlon

hydrlon Active Member

The original always beats the internet replicas, it's just way more fun and nostalgic playing D&D with some friends over one night than to load up my computer and sit around it.

14. xarziv

xarziv Member

Oh my gosh! I have this in my garage outside. I didn't know about this. Fakes actually don't matter , but ill checkout the online version .

15. TheViper

TheViper Well-Known Member

The internet version is enjoyable but they can only do so much. Those that never heard of the original version would think I am just making up random stuff.

Though, once they get started with the original method. They usually choose it over the internet replica.

16. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is hard to have an online RPG be like the pen and paper D&D because a human dungeonmaster is able to adapt the story based on the actions of the players. In computer games, your actions and responses to problems has to be predicted in advance by the devs so that can program what happens next.

DDO is a great game that sticks mostly to the rules of D&D, but no programmer can weave a story based on player actions the way a human DM could.

17. Epicfied

Epicfied Well-Known Member

When I played DDO, I really enjoyed it and you definitely could feel the essence of D&D. For example, I don't know if they changed it, but there was a dice rolling for everything.
    I personally still prefer table top D&D because there is definitely a different feel. However, DDO was a nice way to play with my DM that moved. We no longer play though.
    DDO is obviously pre-planned and can't be changed as much as the real deal, but I think they did a decent job.

18. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Agree completely. DDO is great if you play solo and you are just exploring the dungeons and game the way a real character would in D&D. The problem is that it is an MMO, so there is a lot of pressure on progressing, especially when you are in groups, everyone will be in a hurry, and it loses a lot of that D&D charm and feels like a typical MMO. But the great part, and why I love DDO is that you can do 99% of the content solo and it is approprirately challenging and rewarding. In games like WOW, you can solo a ton of old content, but the rewards arenĀ“t level appropriate.

19. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I might give DDO a try since I too played D&D in the past and have been curious about the game for a while and I've been itching to do something with a little more solo play in it.

As for WoW's old content, Blizzard's gone back to put more incentives to farm them beyond getting the old mounts. The mogging feature and the expansion of the pet system gives players incentive to solo said old content for additional vanity items, which is pretty nice. I mean yeah the rewards aren't level appropriate but the ability to mog and get vanity pets/items is a nice touch and addresses relevancy to revisit old content.

20. Epicfied

Epicfied Well-Known Member

DDO used to be 3.5 based but I think they switched to 4.0 at one point. I'm not sure if they switched to 5.0 or not recently. I'd suggest it though, but don't expect it to be the exact fix.