Is EQNext Vaporware?

Discussion in 'Everquest Next' started by asuewrowt, Jun 26, 2015.

1. asuewrowt

asuewrowt Member

As the title suggest . I played in Alpha of Landmark and I felt it was a bit dull after a while and couldn't see it as being a game anyone would actually play for long .
    is this game going to even be released ?

2. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

Ultimately the only answer you are going to get is speculation from us or a promise from the devs themselves. Personally I think it'll be released half finished and then people will forget about it after half a year

3. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

The game is actively being worked on - so the intention is to finish and release.

As far as will that happen - most likely yes, but at what sacrifices of the original vision - that remains to be seen.

I think EQN will be released - that's a pretty safe bet - however how many originally promised elements will actually be in the released version - that's anyone's guess at this point.

4. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Active Member

I'm surprised so many people care whether this releases or not, aside from the Landmark sheep. Turning EQ into Disney is insulting to pretty much every EQ fan and that's not even considering some of the worst MMO combat ever made. No one but diehard fanbois are going to take this jest of a game seriously, at least not in it's current form.

5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

I'm thinking "vaporware" might be too strong of a term, but at this point you almost have to wonder if it's ever going to be officially released. And honestly, considering the God-awful state of MMOs right now, if EQN dies on the table I wouldn't be surprised at all.

6. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

I have faith that Smedley will release something and it will have EQN in the name. Whether or not there is an actual mmo or even something resembling a FB game remains to be seen.

7. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I doubt you have any idea what it's current form is. Landmark is just a component of EQN. If you are basing it on Landmark than you lack the information needed to make a judgement. Have you done any testing? Did you pay to be part of Landmark? Can you even say why you think the game will be a joke other than a vague reference to combat?

8. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The game definitely has problems.. I think they had these wild plans and then everything has kinda drifted back and forth. Like most others, I think they will release ´something´ but it probably will not be what most of us thought of when they were talking about it last year and there will be a lot of disappointed players.

I don´t know who started this whole thing, but I have no idea why developers now feel the need to announce games so far in advance before they have done any real work on the game.

9. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

They had done a lot of work on the game by the time official announcements had been made. The project is enormous in scope for a game and I'm not surprised at the length of time to be honest. Things are announced early to generate interest and to generate community involvement where needed. They have done enough substantial work on the project that I'm confident that it will be released in a state similar to what has been announced. This is of course is barring financial issues like another sale of the company or bankruptcy etc.. If Daybreak survives I think EQN will release as or very similar to what has been promised.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

You are saying they announce early ´to hold interest´.. that is really backwards.. They announce early, then people lose interest, and when a year goes by with little news, you get threads like this, where people start calling it vaporware or Duke Nukem Forever.

I really don´t think it is that huge of scope, it is similar to Shards Online or Crowfall.... and certainly less than Star Citizen.

11. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

Smedley left the Daybreak.
    Devs are constantly releasing some updates on their progress, so it's not like they're not working on the game. I think the studio is still reorganizing after Sony divorced it, but after they sort their things out the development will speed up.

12. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd rather they take their time and make a good game instead of something half-assed like H1Z1. Just give them a break, I'm sure the game is still on track and like the above poster said, they are still updating on the progress. If the scope is as big as they said when they announced it then it's hard to not be surprised that the game is taking this long.

13. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

H1Z1 is still in a very early stage of development even if it's publicly available. If the community is handled well, early access can be a great way of polishing things up.

14. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Name a game that had a year ofearly access that had a successful ´launch´? I understand why the devs do it, they get money earlier than they were before.. but I don´t understand why players want to pay to play a broken and incomplete game. I think devs are even less motivated to work hard if the game is early access because they already got their money. If the devs don´t make money until they launch a final game, then they will work harder and faster.

15. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft. Prison Architect is also probably going to be successful.

To have a look at it and participate in the development. It's not for everyone, but still it's nice to have this option.

16. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Minecraft was not broken when it was ´early access´ and it was never really a paid early access like games are doing now. I lot of games now you can barely move your character, and the game is nothing but promises being sold for $25. Minecraft was playable, unbroken and fun from the very beginning.

Nytegeek likes this.