Quantcast

If mods are available, do you use them?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Lostvalleyguy, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I don't use many mods, but I like ones that make the graphics better and fix bugs and glitches.

2. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

For about the first week of gameplay, I like to play vanilla. Mods- especially for grand strategy games- really enhance the gameplay itself. If you look at games from the total war series and others, mods are what brought the game to where it should have been at release and kept the community alive.

3. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

Depends on what the mods have to offer. There are plenty of games out there that have mods that don't really add anything to the game but rather just replace. I don't really use model mods or texture packs (with the exception of Minecraft) in games. If the mod offers something that I feel would make the game a better experience than I have no problem using mods. A lot of game companies release modding tools and enjoy seeing what the community can create. It brings longevity to their game and if the mod is really good can even influence others to buy the base game. Mods like DayZ and Game of Thrones for Arma 2 and Crusader Kings 2 certainly helped breathe fire into games whose sales were slowing.

4. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

I only use mods if I really think I need to use them. I try to play games the way they are intended to be played.

5. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I don't need mods to enjoy a game, but I often will download and install a handful of them to add more features to a given game.

6. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Depends on the game. When it comes to Bethesda titles, definitely. If I can get them running (since it can be pretty finicky), there's a ton to gain from mods for The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. For other RPGs, though, I prefer them vanilla. Don't know why, but I never had a desire to try and mod stuff like Might and Magic or Baldur's Gate.

7. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Well-Known Member

Yes, I would, but my PC's just too weak to process the mods I want. :(

8. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Mods usually suit my liking even more than those made by developers. I prefer having fun with a lot of glitches than being lame and working seamlessly.
    If only developers knew what interests us...

9. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

I'm not really big on using mods. The only time I really experiment on them is once I'm actually done beating the game.

Most mods are made so that you can simply breeze through the games, thus eliminating most of the challenge.

10. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I will play with mods if mods are universally accepted or allowed (like in steam games like Don't Starve); in which the game is exponentially advanced by way of using helpful or not-so-helpful mods for stuff like fishing or collecting items.

11. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

I'm one of those people that have a gaming pc but I almost never really mess with mods. I'm only interested in the sort of mods that alter the levels of games. Of which there aren't many of those.

12. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you'd like the Don't Starve Together game for certain mods then, but I'm also certain you'd enjoy it for others. It's too bad FNAF isn't an RPG or well modded because that game can become extremely hard when you mod the difficulty properly. On the bright side, there's probably a few hidden gem rpgs or mmos with the kind of modding you're looking for.

13. Obvcynicae

Obvcynicae Member

I normally will use mods if their available, especially in games like Skyrim. I can't quite run all texture mods perfectly on my laptop, but it still looks quite a bit better than the vanilla game, and I think the bug fixing mods/patches are quite necessary. There are other little things I've added to my game through mods, too.

14. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, those are extremely rare. It's mostly old games that have those kind of overhaul mods. Nowadays, there's rarely those kind of mods save for certain games (like the mod heaven that is Skyrim)...

15. Michelle

Michelle Well-Known Member

It's really interesting to me because I only started playing Skyrim a few weeks ago. I was playing it completely unmodded of course and was totally engrossed in the game. I heard people say that the unmodded game was unplayable and I couldn't really imagine how they thought that. Yes it was buggy in places but I thought it was really amazing anyway.

Then I was like, might as well try a mod or 2. Now I have a ton of mods and I can't imagine playing without them. The mods that enhance the graphics are okay and I enjoy them, but it's the mods that fix the bugs and add content that I find incredible. I'm just in awe at the amount of talent and creativity that these mod developers have!

And sorry that my post is totally aimed at Skyrim. I know there are other RPGs that use mods, but Skyrim is my only true experience right now.