Quantcast

If mods are available, do you use them?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Lostvalleyguy, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

A lot of very bright people put a great deal of effort into enhancing the gaming experience with mods. If the mod is good enough it might even get incorporated into the game. Some systems can't handle a lot of the mods while others can have several functioning simultaneously.

Do you prefer playing the game in its raw (right from the box) form or are you one to download as many enhancements as are available?

2. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer to play with mods, add-ons and plugins, but this depends on the game. For example, I played Fallout 3 without mods for a long time, then found that there are some tweaks I can get like Space Marine armour. So got that for my toon.

For Minecraft, I eventually found out about mini-maps, resource packs and Optifine. So I use those. I try to keep it as bare as I can, but add some extended usability.

For WoW, I have a few add-ons like AuctionLite, GTFO, Recount and Profession Assistance. Back in the day, when I prefer anal UI customization, I used Bongo 2 UI but with every update, came a mess of the properties and decided to use the default UI when Cata came out. I also used to use Atlas Loot and Maps and some raiding stuff.

3. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Yes, I will. I use mods all the time. Some mods that gamers create are actually better than the things created by the developers. Skyrim for example has amazing mods. Some of them truly show great effort and enhances the game a lot.

4. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

Not really. I only use mods on sports games like the NBA2k series. Fans usually release special jerseys and court layout, so I apply the mods to see how it looks like. Sometimes in sports games where you see the same things again and again, a change of scenery is necessary to keep you bored from seeing the same stuff.

5. Delusional

Delusional Well-Known Member

I only use mods when I'm done with the game and want some more fun. I have played Skyrim a lot. When I finished it 2 times, I started adding mods.

6. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

It depends on the mods, I don't use anything that makes me more powerful and the game easier, but I'll use mods that solve some issues, or that for example add more weapons (same power) or add more character customization.

7. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Adding good mods to your game is why I love PC gaming. I always use mods if they are bug free and add good content. You can easily add many hours of content and gameplay to your vanilla game, when properly modded. Just take a look at Skyrim and the huge amounts of mods available. Same goes for Fallout 3, New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights and many other great PC RPGs.

8. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

It depends on the game really for games like Skyrim and Fallout I have a ton, but for games like GTA I never really install mods except in IV and those were all car and sound mods.

9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Only after finishing the game vanilla though. I prefer a vanilla playthrough then a modded playthrough myself.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

Usually I prefer the raw version. It's how the game was meant to be played by the developers. However with certain games I do download mods later on, just to see what interesting things people have managed to create.

11. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

Unmodded Skyrim is terrible. Game play and graphics both, mods improve so much. Any Bethseda game without mods is a disaster. After all, modding is one of the greatest advantage of PC gaming.

Chris_A likes this.
  12. Chris_A

I agree, Skyrim is another example where mods really help make a game much better. There are so many mods that make things a lot easier to handle in the game. A good example would be the Convenient Horses mods, which really help with that annoying horse AI.

13. MrFreshh

MrFreshh Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of modding. Skyrim has some incredibly good mods, but there are plenty of other RPG's that have really good mods as well. Fallout is another that comes to mind. Hell, even Dragon Age had pretty decent quality of life improvements.

14. forte210392

forte210392 Active Member

Definitely. For me, modding adds an extra dimension to game play. I'm a huge fan of Skyrim, and the mods available brought this already awesome game to a whole new level. Just imagine, Skyrim with a Mario theme!

15. Chris_A

There are literally tons of mods out there. There are even entire YouTube channels dedicated to reviewing Skyrim mods. The things modders come up with are incredible. You could mod that game so much, you would barely be able to recognize it as Skyrim anymore.

16. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Graphical mods are a big one for me. They can enhance gameplay sooooo much and make things feel so much more real.

17. Oakster

I agree with unmodded Skyrim being unplayable, same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
    However, there are just too many mods for this game, last year I reinstalled Skyrim and I spent 2 days just browsing the Steam Workshop before I even booted the game up.

18. Chris_A

Haha, I know what you mean, however, browsing for days for the best mods before even starting the game is part of the fun for me. :D

19. Oakster

It's an endless cycle...
    When you start playing you think "I think I saw a mods to better this part ..." then you find yourself starting the game from scratch over and over again.

20. Chris_A

Yeah, that happened to me a lot. :D However, most mods can be installed and played even when you already started the story, so you don`t have to replay everything.