Quantcast

If Blizzard made a World of Starcraft game, do you think it would be as big as World of Warcraft?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by thepieeatingjay, May 3, 2015.

1. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

When it comes to RTS, Starcraft and Warcraft were the top in the genre in the late 90's and early 2000's. Then Blizzard decided to experiment in the world of MMO by using Warcraft. That became a big success. So, if they made a Starcraft version, would the same success happen?

2. Tibz1337

Tibz1337 Member

If they make WoW F2P and then release this, I reckon it will have great success. I've always wanted a Starcraft MMO.

3. jeremy2092

jeremy2092 Member

Oh yeah, and that is such a great idea. To have a scifi version of WoW would be awesome. They would already have my money.

4. MrGravyCakes

MrGravyCakes Active Member

They should not combine these 2 genres that would be. Bad idea. Everyone would stop playing wow and Starcraft and play the combined one. People who like one and do not like the other will just not like this at all, I don't like Starcraft but like wow

5. fatguy39

fatguy39 Active Member

Hahaha, seeing that Starcraft encompasses a lot of worlds, it's a bit crazy to say World of Starcraft, haha! With how vast the lore of Starcraft is however, they do have a lot of potential in it. It's a bit hard to say how it will be different in terms of gameplay, since I bet it will be similar; just swap the lore of Warcraft with Starcraft. I do hope that won't be the case though if it indeed is done.

If it happens to be at the point where the story is done, I wonder how it will fare though. Seeing as how the plots of Starcraft 2 is going, I think that the story will really be over after it.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I'd probably enjoy a World of Starcraft game, but I think Blizzard kind of let down the whole Starcraft franchise and community by not focusing on the game as much as they should've did.

7. Samu Zadori

Samu Zadori Member

Nothing will ever be as big as WoW. That game came along just at the right time, when internet connections were rapidly increasing in speed, and people wishing for a quality MMO with a rich, immersive lore. However, since these days the market is oversaturated with all sorts of MMO's and free-to-play is the norm of online gaming, a potential World of Starcraft game would not do well. I mean, if SWTOR and ESO couldn't stay true to their initial vision and become relevant, Starcraft has no chance.

8. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I don`t think making a Starcraft MMO would be a good idea. The Starcraft series, at its core, was always an RTS. Making an MMO out of it would just ruin the whole feeling of the game. On the other hand, adding RPG elements to Starcraft would be amazing. But they kind of did that with Starcraft II. And Legacy of the Void promises to be even more RPGy.

9. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

That's an interesting question. Considering how popular the series is, yes I think it would be successful. I think it would be even if WoW doesn't go Free to Play. Heck, maybe that will be what Blizzard opts to do when WoW does finally die. Eventually, all MMO's must perish, but it would be smart of them to turn another popular franchise into an MMO in my opinion.

10. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

Don't know how successful it would be but I would love to see a Starcraft game.

11. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

The Starcraft world wouldn't work as an MMO like that of WoW, based on how the Starcraft mechanics work. The best approach to a Starcraft MMO would be like Planetside, where players from different factions wage massive persistent battles across different regions of a planet, across solar systems, clusters of star systems within a sector in the galaxy.

Unlike Planetside, players can drop into zones as a part of a party that will help gain funds/resources that will help with the bigger war effort. You can consider these equivalent to dungeons. Attack fleets wage war above, while armies wage battle on the planet, trying to take over resource points.

Etc. Stuff like that.

12. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone would expect it to function the way WoW does. That doesn't really change the fact that it would be a good candidate for an MMO. Though, it's unlikely that it would be made into one anytime soon. For all we know, that's what Titan was before it was dropped. I'm really not sure how much information was released on that though. I didn't really follow it closely.

13. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member Regular

What I don't get is what would be the difference other than the title? Starcraft is basically like WOW except it takes place in a futuristic/space setting as opposed to a more of a fantasy setting.

14. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I honestly don't think it would do well as an MMO. Sci-fi as an MMO genre has always struggled against fantasy. It's just the nature of the genre itself. Wildstar was a huge flop, Galaxies was closed up, Matrix Online only lasted a few years. Trek Online, EvE and SWTOR are the only ones that are doing alright in a market filled with MMOs. Overall Starcraft should stay as a stand alone game.

15. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

And WOW has alternative planets, time travel and basically all the sci-fi stuff already anyway. I am not sure you could go to Hellfire Pennisula ( in BC) and not see it as an alien planet.

16. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member Regular

How about a Starcraft MMOFPS like Planetside? It will be very interesting to see, although I'm not sure how lore-friendly it will be (I'm not that well-versed in Starcraft lore). It can be different from WoW, and putting you as a regular marine (for example) rising through the ranks may be a good way to potray the conflict. You are not the chosen one, but with enough progression you can be the commander and give our orders to low level players.

17. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member Regular

I'm surprised that the WoW hype lasted for such a long time though... I mean, only in 2014 did I notice a significant decrease in the player base, after all these years. And trust me, if you aren't aware of this, there are also those "unofficial servers" which encompass other few millions of players that don't afford paying the price... so the player base is bigger if we don't relate to the official servers.

About a WoS game... not much of a fan, really. They would just ruin both concepts.

18. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

I doubt it, to be honest. I could be wrong, but I don't see Starcraft having the same hype Warcraft did prior to WoW.

19. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

It definitely would be a good idea although it is hard to become as popular as WoW has been. It has lost most of its active players already though some have remained.

20. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I reckon it could work out with the right idea in the game and also needs to be exciting so that players can continue to play the game and move on in the game so the story progresses and they could make choices and have many major bosses in the game who oppose the player in their efforts, to save the world from the evil people who want to be supreme and have no rival in the world. A villain could be someone who was a hero long time ago and then by circumstances could change like in Dragon Age Origins Loghain was hero and pushed the Orlesian empire back, and then he became a tyrant later in life and persecuted people who opposed him or him allies in the game someone like that could be a good boss in this game. I reckon with the right support and the graphics need to be up to date and something that players would want to buy and the controls need to be easy otherwise people would just get frustrated just to play the game if they have to think about what button to press all the time.