I hope they change the name

Discussion in 'Overwatch (MOBA)' started by GlacialDoom, May 28, 2015.

1. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that the name "Overwatch" is pretty terrible, especially due to conflicting names. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive's moderating system is called Overwatch, and this means that there will be a lot of confusion on servers when people will post that they got an "Overwatch ban".

I also think that the name is not that expressive, so I hope that they give it a better one.

Does anyone else think the same way I do?

2. FreddyMac

FreddyMac Member
    Regular

If someone is wise enough to understand they got an Overwatch ban in CS, then they will be aware enough to see that they are playing a different game.

Overwatch is pretty generic, sure, but actually communicates the game better than, say Borderlands? Overwatch, I expect to be team-based and defensive. its usually used in military or defensive terms, so I can expect shooting.

3. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, it is a rather blah name that shows up in other games frequently, but at this point, I think they are too far into the marketing to change the name.

4. Calamity

Calamity Member

I don't dislike the name. I feel that there hardly will be an issue when comparing CS:GO's moderation system to a totally different game's title. Overwatch is a fine name and I doubt Blizzard cares that Valve is using it for a moderation program. The name implies exactly what I expect, so I disagree that they should change the name. And as someone already said it is fairly far along for them to consider changing the name. It'd be far too late in terms of marketing. Bottom Line Overwatch isn't an amazing title, but it evokes what'd you expect and it works fine. If someone is enough of a dolt that they can't differentiate between Overwatch the game and the moderation program I think we have bigger problems.

5. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member
    Regular

For Borderlands, I think that that name describes the series perfectly. It may just be because I played the games for so long that I automatically associate the name with the games.

I am sure that the same will happen with Overwatch, though, but I'd still love it if they changed the name.

6. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hmmm... I doubt they'll change the name of this title. Although I feel it's a bland title, I doubt Blizzard will change it, especially with the large amount of marketing they have done. I don't think conflicting mechanics and game mode names from a different game are a good justification for changing the name.

7. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not a big fan of the name Overwatch either.. it's not the fact that it conflicts with the name of the Overwatch system on CS:GO, but I just don't think it's a great name for an FPS game that could be a very competitive game in the eSports industry. It's not that I could make up a better name, though. I just dislike it for some reason.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not really keen on this name either, but I don't think Blizzard will change it anytime soon, if ever. They've already marketed it so it'd be pretty confusing.

9. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I`m cool with the name. Nothing wrong with it. And I think it also kind of ties in with the story of the game, if I`m not mistaken.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yep, I think once the name has been publicly announced with great fanfare, it is really impossible for them to put the cat back in the bag.

11. Snakevenom

Snakevenom Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like the name, and I'm assuming no one here has played it so you really have no idea whether it matches the game or not. Maybe once you play it you'll understand the meaning of the name and why they named it that more. It's far too early to pass judgement on something so trivial as the name.

12. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I guess I'm neutral to the name overall. I mean compared to their other franchise names which have 'craft' tacked on the end- Overwatch isn't so bad. I don't think Blizzard exactly wins 'original name of the year' awards haha.

13. Ram Levy

Ram Levy Well-Known Member
    Regular

Everytime I hear about this game I think immidately about cs:go's overwatch so I think that you do have a valid point.

14. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like the name although I can see why it is a little bland to others because it sort of is. I prefer it over some other cheesier name though, but if it does clash with some terms on Counterstrike then I can see why there is even more need for a name change though I don't think that is a major enough conflict to warrant a name change.

15. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with OP. The title's a bit generic and I get confused with all these games that start with "Over" or end with "Watch".
    But even with such a generic name it seems like it's getting really popular anyways so I guess it's working for Blizzard. :p

16. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think they should have called it, "Blizzard fortress 3." Or maybe, "Team Fortress: Blizzard." Perhaps "We really liked Team Fortress." Or like, "Valve was taking too long so we made team fortress with robot guns"

17. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's pretty alright, considering how lots of CS:GO players are elitist and look down on CoD and other "casual" FPS games which don't emphasise as much on aim/spray patterns.

18. Goat of Departure

Regular

I think the name is fine although I have to agree with you on the CS part but gamers are smart enough to figure out the difference between the two and I don't think people would be talking the same thing between the two Overwatch subjects.

19. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't see why they should change it. It's a solid name and people already know what you're talking about when you say Overwatch. If they come up with something better that's great, if not then I don't see a problem.

20. Kinomir

Kinomir Member
    Regular

I really don't think they are going to change the name of the game at this point in time. It's already widely known, and it's extremely rare for a game to get a name change.

You also have to consider that they have been marketing it as "Overwatch" this whole time, and haven't received any major negative feedback about the name.