How's the story mode going to be?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: Lore Discussion' started by Jesse, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Jesse

Jesse Member

Normally with a MMORPG like this, you'd play with friends online and compete with others. Thing is I kind of like the option of playing a lengthy story. Any idea if Guild Wars 2 will have a story mode? Or will it strictly be online game-play?

2. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

In GW1 we had those single player campaigns. I'm not sure what it was called but you were able to play as a certain character and go through a part of their story & at the end if you completed it you got a reward. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

3. Brem

Brem Active Member

I like to know the controls more before I go into anymore online battles and all that cool stuff. I'd say I'm close to the end of the campaign, it's been quite enjoyable. Any idea if they released add-on for the game? That'd be cool.

4. Level 1

Level 1 Member

The personal story will have a different path then the main story. Your friends can come with you and you can go with them, but only you can make choices in your personal story, your friends can only help. So yes it's kinda a solo thing you do with a group of friends or on your own and The main story will be with everyone, it's all on line however.

1 person likes this.
  5. Vercinger

Vercinger Member

Something that's bothering me is the actual story parts - the walls of text you get from NPCs. I love reading all of them, but whenever I'm playing with other people, they'll almost always skip through everything possible and just care about what the quest or reward is. So are there any story parts that require co-op play or can I go through all of it alone, at my own pace?

6. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

Whats going on is (and Anet has said they know thats what happens with players wanting to skip while others dont) that all the wall of text stuff are pre massive quest chain stuff, or personal story stuff. So there'll hardly be any cinema in the middle of a big quest/dungeon or event. It'll be quickly spoken by npcs or just told on a lvl where the action doesnt stop, so those impatient types wont be bored.

1 person likes this.
  7. Vercinger

Vercinger Member

I'm glad to hear that! Going through a co-op story without having to skip that story to keep up with my teammates will be a new experience for me.

1 person likes this.
  8. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

This is the aspect of Personal Story that I really like. I have a tendency when in a group to herd folks along and keep them moving - honestly it isn't that I don't want them to be able to read and enjoy the lore it's literally that while one person does that someone else decides to play with their keyboard controls and goes running off in some odd direction grabbing tons of aggro while screeching that they don't know how to "turn it off". Basically the group I hang out with is so easily distracted it is hilarious - this is also why I'm looking forward to Dynamic Events - no need to get everyone on the same quest at the same time.

The other thing about Personal Story that I am really looking forward to is that decisions can have an impact. One of the examples for humans is that early on you choose to save the hospital or the orphanage in your neighborhood - can only save one or the other. Your neighborhood forever has to deal with that early decision.

Finally what other game in recent memory has asked you at character creation if you want to join the circus?

9. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

i would definetly save the Hospital, people cant live with out healthcare :cool: