How should MMOs and/or gaming in general deal with toxicity?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by ISKMogul, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Player7

Player7 Active Member
    Regular

As someone said before, you should behave just like a Zen Master :). I do agree though that bad language filters should be heavily improved and somekind of bans should be made effective for people who abuse the possibility to express themselves freely. My rights (such as freedom of speech) end where someone elses rights begin. Hopefully one day everyone matures and what can be viewed as a drastic measure for a foul-mouthed someone is actually a way to teach them respect.

2. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think placing the appropriate system that works best for any particular game is the most that developers can do. For example, I like playing a mobile MOBA that uses a Ping system instead of chat or voice chat so players can be protected from toxic people, but even then the more trolling types ended up spamming it which then was solved by placing a delay on the frequency of allowed pings. Although, even then there are lots of other ways of being toxic such as going AFK or losing intentionally, and for that there is a report system which I think works well enough for the most part so if I had to pick one specific solution I'd guess that would be the most beneficial route.

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

Ignore/Block and Report filters are always your friends. I don't really agree with the cursing filters though, since I'm pretty nice and I curse quite a bit, haha. :p My main game is full of pretty nice or at least okay people, but I have come across some nasty and down right vicious players. Usually, I personally just shrug it off (and complain a little to my guildies, lol).

4. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

Asshats and trolls are everywhere. It sucks, but there's no real good way to screen for them outside of waiting for them to show their ass, so then you can block/mute/ignore them.

5. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, but there should be a way. Trolls suck the fun out of any game.

6. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

I don't think any GM should have the right to ban a player simply because they're immature and childish. If someone is being toxic and rude online, your best bet is to simply ignore them. If they turn it up a notch and start harassing you even through a block, that's when the bans come out.

7. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah. I can usually handle trolls. But, some people just don't go away. Banning isn't what I had in mind though, but there should be some way to check a guy's reputation. You know like in the real world you kind of know who the aholes are in the group, so you tend to avoid them as much as you can :p

8. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

They just need to remind people that it's just as wrong to try to control everyone as it is to be hateful and ruin someone's play experience. As long as they're just words, people need to grow the hell up. Our society is getting slowly neutered by people that are afraid of words. Whimps. Your ancestors almost starved to death and you're crying over trolls. Coddled little babies.

9. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would say either try the ignore option as most people suggested. Block them the best way you can, try to mute them.

10. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think MMO are nothing but survival. So I don't feel surprised to see that some may appear as toxic. But they can be fun to play so we don't get to judge it as such. And it can be some of the time harder as well.

11. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is strange how sometimes I rarely think about this and then other times it is the one thing that frustrates me. Unfortunately ignoring them probably is the best answer here.

12. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

You can't really do much about it, it's just something you have to deal with in pretty much every mp game. I just mute overly toxic and immature players. I don't think devs can do much about it either.

13. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member
    Regular

Every game should be comfortable for everyone to play .

14. walter12

walter12 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Punishing people and not letting things slide

15. Blader70

Regular

True but there are people who just love to get under someone's skin when it comes to hobbies.

16. walter12

Regular

You will never find a game without toxicity regardless of how popular

17. Blader70

Regular

Yeah, that is the cold truth about gaming and most fandoms.

18. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sometimes we just have to take games for what they are and not try to read too much into that sort of approach. And toxicity is often just an delusion that we think in the games but it does not exist.

19. Blader70

Regular

Yeah, though sometimes it is just people picking out the small things wrong with it and calling it trash.

20. walter12

Regular

Those type of people only look to make things look bad