Quantcast

How much future tech do you want?

Discussion in 'The Division' started by troutski, May 5, 2015.

1. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Trailers and gameplay videos of The Division show a few futuresque gadgets and whatnot. How much future tech do you want to see in the game? I don't want a ton of it, but a little gadget here and there won't hurt anyone. Well, it might kill people in the game. Anyways...

2. Obi

Obi Well-Known Member

I'm hoping there's enough to make the game feel futuristic. I don't want to be riding around in jetpacks and shooting with my laser blaster powered by imagination, but I'd prefer to see more 'techy' versions of the stuff we already have, like holographic sights you can upgrade to have thermal vision.

3. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I like what I've seen so far. It seems futuristic enough without being unbelievable or gimmicky, which is always good.

4. andkno

andkno Member

I'm ok with future tech in the game, it's always fun to experience with game mechanics different than the usual, but I hope that the keep it as closed to reality as possible.

5. From what I've seen they struck quite a good balance with being futuristic without being cheesy. I hope they don't end up overdoing it. I trust Ubi on this one :p

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

I don't think it's going to be too much futuristic. I mean the game's going to be pretty much as we're seeing it in the gameplay videos and trailers. There's some stuff like the map on the floor that shows you the way and holographic menus and so on, but that's pretty much it. No laser guns or stuff like that. I think it's pretty tame and that's perfectly fine.

7. umizi

umizi New Member

I definitely agree -- if used sparingly, then futuristic gear might be pretty effective in making gameplay interesting. As long as it fits in with the gritty, urban setting of the game and it doesn't feel like an easy power-up or escape route, I'm all for trying new things.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I'm not really sure about how much I'd like but I hope they don't exaggerate with those gadgets. It'd kind of crappy to see them everywhere but as long as the game feels nice enough I don't mind it.

9. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member Regular

Not too much, lets not end up like Call of Duty and its weird change of weaponry.

10. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

I say keep it somewhat current tech. I don't mind some advancements, and we've already seen some like healing grenades and stuff, but it's been pretty "realistic" so far, and I'm OK with that. As previous people said, I don't think we need teleporters and jet packs quite yet.

11. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member Regular

I usually don't like it when they go over the top with future tech weapons. Like some have already said, keeping the tech somewhat loyal to what we currently have is probably the best way to go.

12. SinisterSpydio

SinisterSpydio Well-Known Member Regular

Hmm I don;t really mind the future tech, however i really would prefer going without it

13. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

It definitely works for certain games (Mass Effect, Crysis, etc) as long as that's the theme. I think it would look really out of place in The Division. The game is set in the future, but not THAT far where you'd have super advanced tech, in my opinion.

14. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member Regular

Same, it would feel weird.

15. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, in Mass Effect it all felt natural because of the setting. You were immediately thrown into this universe where warps across space are an every day thing.

Like you said though, this isn't set that far into the future. Aside from that, Tom Clancy games always tend to be very conscious of our current reality when it comes to tech. I doubt they will use anything not in the realm of possibility.

Cyborg Superman likes this.