How is this different from Dota 2 and League?

Discussion in 'Heroes of the Storm' started by OursIsTheFury, May 6, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am an avid player of both Dota 2 and League of Legends. I have heard of Heroes of the Storm, but I never seem to have been interested enough to give it a try. Can I ask what's the difference between this game and games like Dota 2 and LoL? I'm curious at what makes it a unique game, in terms of appearance, game mechanics, etc. Can you guys help me understand it?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well for one there are real objectives in the game. What that objective is and how it affects the game depends on the map, but needless to say ALL of these objectives are worth fighting for.

Apart from that, I'd say the game is very fast paced, the match will be over in about 20 minutes and there is always something going on somewhere.

3. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

As mentioned, the objectives and maps are more important than just laning. You can´t ignore the map objectives and win.

The bigger thing is the shared exp, which allows for more diverse roles rather than everyone just grabbing a lane. In my opinion, it also has a less hostile community, probably because of the shared exp taking away a lot of the ´you suck´ stuff.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah I think the overall meta is different. I like how objectives are given much more importance and value and I also prefer that the games are shorter because I like playing a bit more casually. Not that this game is particularly casual but it's a little less of a time investment that way.

5. crimsonghost747

Regular

I haven't played other MOBAs but damn if the community is less hostile then in the other ones they have to be throwing insults out even before the game starts.

6. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

LOL has almost become a parady of itself because of this. It has such a huge history of toxic players, that people now try to outdo each other. If I had a nickel for every time a player told another player to commit suicide, I would have all the heroes bought.

7. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

This game is a lot more team reliant than League or DOTA 2, it can be both good and a terrible thing. They handle disconnections differently, and you will end up with a bot. I guess it is better than nothing but it makes a huge difference when you have a bad player or someone leaving the game in comparison to the former games..

8. Sworden

Sworden Well-Known Member
    Regular

All of the things mentioned above and more. The game is more casual at first, so you get a less hostile environment.

The game is new, so you feel part of the beginning of something.
    The heroes you play as are characters from the lore that you already know and are passionate about, hence you might even have a favorite character before you even open up the game.
    Also, it's made by Blizzard, and I'm a huge fan of their games. They've been supporting Hots pretty well and I can only see it getting bigger.

9. crimsonghost747

Regular

Personally I love the AI coming in and helping. Sure, it's rarely as good as a real player but at least you don't find yourself at 4vs5 in every team fight,

10. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

Here's the differences I noticed between HoTS from LoL and DoTa:
    • There's lots of maps and they're unique from each other as well. Unlike LoL and DoTa where there's this primary map and all the other maps are pretty much gimmicks, HoTS actually has relevant maps that have different objectives which makes each one playable.
    • Experience points are shared by the whole team. It's another break away from DoTa and LoL where last hitting is allowed. With HoTs, it's all team-based, what one gets, everyone else also gets.
    • Items are non-existent for players. Instead, we have skills which we need to level up. You can combine different skills as well to compliment each other.
    • The game play is shorter in HoTs as compared to DoTa or Lol.
    • Graphics-wise, I think LoL has better imagery than the other two.
    • When it comes to the level of difficulty of the game, there's no doubt that HoTs is the easiest of the three, considering the first three items I've listed.
    I hope this helps!

11. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

The whole lane part of League isn't really a thing in Heroes of the storm. The objectives are all over the map and play a critical role int he result of the game. There are also eight maps to play compared to the one map you can play in Dota and 4 in League.

12. ADE001

ADE001 Member
    Regular

No last hit! I got so annoyed with that mechanic, when Heroes came out I never looked back. There's a very short lane phase to begin with, on a few maps it's until level 10 but on most of them you find you and your team engaging in fights way before that because of earlier mentioned map objectives. If you never tried it you should really give it a shot. Blizzard is quite dedicated to making it a success. They have quite the team working on the game and keep supporting it with frequent balance patches, new heroes and maps.

13. crimsonghost747

Regular

yeah the lane thing is funny in HoTS. The lanes certainly need to be kept for the experience (you need to be within a certain distance of a dying minion to get xp) but the objectives and bigger team fights will of course make people abandon the lanes. And later on in the game there really is no time to lane anyway, apart from maybe killing one or two groups of minions which is pretty damn fast at that point.