How has your experience with EVE been?

Discussion in 'EVE Online' started by ISKMogul, Aug 3, 2015.

1. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

As someone who has played EVE since 2009, I could say I've experienced a fair portion of the game. I've played in high-sec falling into the trap of solo play. I've been in pirate groups in low-sec, and as of my most recent run been part of major null-sec alliances. Just about the only thing I haven't done is leading a large corporation or alliance.

All of this has created a sort of love/hate relationship with the game. EVE is a strange game that makes me sometimes love the game but hate the players.

Overall, I'd say the best and worst parts of EVE for me have been the community. At times they're great, and in other instances they're so toxic I just have to tune them out. What is your most loved or hated part of EVE?

2. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I tried to play it a few years after release, but the whole off-line skill gain system put me off. I don´t want to play a game where no matter what I do or how much I play I cannot catch up to other players. Also while the solo play was pretty good, the big fun pvp battles are only fun if you are high up in the corp, if not, you are just a tool they use. ´just use that ability over and over´..

3. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

Well, life isn't fair, and EVE is a game driven by a cutthroat attitude. So the idea that you can catch up to the players who have been playing for years before you doesn't fit the game. As far as feeling used, it seems that way at first, but the actual fights can be fun even when you're the lowest on the totem pole. The feeling of neuting or jamming out a several Billion ISK ship in a ship that costs 3 Million ISK and making them completely useless is amazing. The feeling of being on the winning side in a large fight is well worth being another cog in the fleet machine. Also, being on the top is really stressful. FCing in large fights can be a nightmare, it's not something many people enjoy.

EVE is a fun game if you can get past it's issues. But it isn't for everyone. To each their own.

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Amazing. you are sitting there pressing one button for a few hours. To me, it reminded me of raiding in the original Everquest. You had a big giant creature that took hours to kill, and all you did was be one of a hundred people who pressed 1 button for a few hours while very little actually changed.

5. Tanis

Tanis Active Member
    Regular

My EVE experience was mostly pretty fantastic. I met an awesome girlfriend from it, made some great friends and enjoyed every moment I played. I spent a lot of time helping newbies out in help channels and just generally taking in the grim, but pleasant playerbase. Experiences from sov null to highsec carebear showed me a lot of interesting gameplay and I just have a love for the spaceships and gorgeous graphics. No complaints here.

6. Whitewolf2578

Whitewolf2578 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well I don't play much anymore, but kind of want to start getting back into it. I started off the game being a carebear miner, which you kind of have to do in order to make money safely. Sure you can do missions with your weak starter ship. I now run two accounts, one with an Orca and the other with an industrial mining ship. My main account is the one I have been working on mostly though, due to the fact I feel in love with Stealth Bombers.

7. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I loved the community, and the big risk involved with any operation. In most other games, if you die, you don't really lose anything other than time or progress. In Eve, if you die, you lose tangible goods. That elements adds an adrenaline boost in any scenario where you hard earned isk of ships are at risk. I still remember my first time in null sec and the stress of potentially losing my ship (which I did, but totally worth it looking back).

8. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Massive fleet battles, gorgeous solar systems, calming background music, beautiful ships. What isn't there to like? Probably all the little tidbits that make me want to pull my hair out, like the massive amount of techs you can research, the materials you need to gather to build things, the time it takes to jump from one system to another...

It's bad and good. it's a game I will invest more time in when one day, I have exhausted my gaming interests and I no longer feel bound to financial restrictions.

9. Writeratyourservice

Writeratyourservice Well-Known Member
    Regular

True.

10. Writeratyourservice

Writeratyourservice Well-Known Member
    Regular

Me too.