How expensive is this game to play comfortably?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter' started by tomorrowdreamking, Jun 8, 2015.

1. tomorrowdreamking

What I mean is will it be expensive to play it with the perks you would normally have in an MMO?
    I have not yet dug into the game but I'm considering it but at the same time I don't want to spend a ton of cash either. I have heard it's a very expensive game to play if you expect to have things like mounts and bag space...is this true?
    I honestly don't mind spending a few $ but not if it's going to be constant...know what I mean?
    Thanks..

2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

Opinions may differ.

But IMO this game is too expensive for what it is. Some of the items in the store are way way too high. $10 for a 24 slot bag for instance.

If you do an initial investment of $50-$60 then you CAN get a mount, a bag or two, and a few other perks to get started. Just be aware this game is designed to get you to spend money at every turn.

Lots of lock box drops, constant spam across your screen of " so and so looted a ( Insert item here) from lockbox".

It is fun to play very casually, but to get a top geared toon be prepared to spend either a ton of money or months and months of grind time.

For me its casual play all the way, not worried about getting a max level character with all the best gear as a sub or B2P game such as GW2, TSW, or ESO have much better offerings and wont break you just to have a decent geared character.

3. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

i personally dont need the cash shop in this game. Not only is overpriced, its nonsense. In PvE you dont need to have the best character out there so you are fine with whatever you loot (in fact, that makes it more challenging game and less faceroll cakewalk). And in PvP..... you dont take PvP seriously in a F2P mmo with unbalanced cash shop so PvP means nothing here. Focus on D&D story and you have the entire game in your palm for free.

4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

You might want to read this post about how to make Astral Diamonds in game, might help your decision
    You might want to read this post about how to make Astral Diamonds in game, might help your decision

www.mmowiki.org

5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

I buy bags or bank space sometimes but only when they go on sale. I really don't use or need mounts in game. The only things I like to have from the cash shops are bags and bank space. I've also bought extra character slots... that were on sale. lol

You get one bag for free, then you do a quest for another bag, and you get companions at lvl 16. I am a casual player and take what I can get.

Don't bother with lockboxes unless you wanna spend a lot of money on keys.

6. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Well-Known Member

The cost of this game depends on what your goals are, and what you need for those. PvP is really pay to win, with the overprices tier 8-9 enchants and so on. In PvE you can get along fine most of the time, with one or two extra bag slots.

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

A lot of free2play games come down to how seriously you want to play the game. Most of them are a ton of fun, Neverwinter included, if you are content to be less than perfect. DDO is probably the best in that regards, but Neverwinter is fine with its model. Some of the stuff seems pricey on the store but can be ignored. I think EQ2 and SWTOR were the only two free2play games that I felt really took away the ´fun´ and forced you to pay just to play a normal feeling game. Neverwinter is great to play free, probably the only annoyance is the constant reminders that you are losing out on stuff. DDO has no such system.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, this game (and as most F2P ones out there) will make you spend money everytime you progress in the game, and frankly it's a little bit hard to play without spending some money. You're not going to enjoy the game to the maximum if you aren't willing to invest constantly, in my opinion. (That's in PvP)

9. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I played this game a few years back and had 2 maxed toons. I remember I played it with some bags that I got on sale. However, I didn't buy anything up until much later levels. Then you either had to farm/grind endlessly for little to no loot, or forced to buy in order to get proper gear, items for enchants etc. So the pay to play definitely increases as you level later on.

10. grrlscout420

grrlscout420 New Member

I haven't put a dime into the game. I'm lvl 70 ( and then some ) with good gear that guild mates gave to me or I got from AD or exchanging AD for zen. The game is only grindy if you choose. With so much content you can farm a lil here & there especially if there's 2XP event happening.
    Plus most are willing to trade for what you're looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

11. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I personally love free games. I've never bought a game unless this one be the first one. I play many games but when it gets to the paying part, then I quit.