How do yo choose your name in MMOs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by thecorinthian, Aug 18, 2015.

1. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Do you base it off the storyline of the game? Do you use your real name? I base mine off Greek mythology or science fiction writers. I base my guild name off old biker gangs.

2. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Honestly I chose it randomly, I just put some words that I am thinking in that moment and merge them and just write the result.

3. lunaticred

lunaticred Member

I usually want something cool and edgy (lame, I know...) or something really cute. I think of common, everyday names and put them together. Most times a lot of my combinations sound really bad, so it takes a while to find the perfect name. Usually I just use one ign for every game. It saves me the stress and effort. :)

4. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't really think about the name and just random it or find one online. I am really bad at making up names.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I mostly use the nickname "FuZyOn" but when it's not available I mock some celebrities names (I have an account with Piggy Azalea, sooo...). :D I hate to choose the same name everywhere, but at the same time I need to be consistant.

6. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member
    Regular

Same name for everything, Zimbitt!

7. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am the worst with names. If I had kids, they would be named after food items like Tomato, Potato, Pumpkin. I might steal the names of deities such as Jesus, Buddha and Mohammad though. My characters are usually named after exactly such things.

8. AthenaEntendu

AthenaEntendu Member

I actually did the lame thing and stole part of my name from my husband's character. lol. Then I used our daughter's middle name as the first part of my name. Ironically enough, I eventually made an alternate character to play on the same game (mostly to help me with retainer space, but my husband ended up using it quite a bit to take into endgame dungeons as well). I got that name from characters from one of my favorite writers. Then when my next baby was born, my husband had the idea to have her middle name be the first name of my alternate char. So it worked out to be a fair switch. One character is named after my daughter's middle name, and one daughter got her middle name from my character. haha. Such a legacy I'm leaving my children with :p

9. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I spend more time thinking about the name of my character than actually designing my character. I won't be motivated to play the game unless I feel like my character name works. Nothing is worse than thinking of a great character name and then come to find, it's already taken. Generally, I'll look around my house or think of a product I'm really into at the time an name my character after it. If the name is taken, and I really like it, I'll try it in a foreign language.

10. jbepp

jbepp Well-Known Member

I usually use the same name for all my main characters. Alt characters and everything else I usually just choose a random name or if something cool comes to mind I'll use it. I never really give it too much thought.

11. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I think choosing one name that is not complicated could be the coolest, I normally choose my name, if it doesn't exist I only add a few letters to adjust it and make it look unique.

12. Varian245

Varian245 Active Member
    Regular

Whenever I am naming my characters, I try not to use numbers so I have to go find like foreign names that normally you wouldn't see. I have used Russian names to name my characters because it's rare you find those names on the NA servers I play on. Sometimes you do, but it's not common. :)

13. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

I use a combination of past user names, a random list of nice-sounding names, and some online dictionaries to pick my names for characters.

14. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

I usually go off of my favorite mythological figures. I currently have a character with the name "Neamhain", who is the one of the trio that makes the Morrigan and represents the "Frenzied chaos of war". Which I though was a pretty good name for a Dark Knight Tank character.

15. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I named a lalafell in FFXIV Midlittle Snippet because he is short. I'm just sort of weird and random with it.

16. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member
    Regular

For most games, I either use one of my fictional characters' names, or I use Kat, which is my online alias. :)

17. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I try to make my character's names lore friend if possible, if not, I just use my name here (qag) or some variant of it.

18. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I use a mix of mythology, Latin based scientific names and others depending on how I feel.

19. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

What would you name a character that enjoys chowing down on live puppies?

20. Snakevenom

Snakevenom Well-Known Member
    Regular

I always theme it to the game setting, so it's a mythical MMO (like Neverwinter) I'll name myself something like Aragoth. My thought process is: Does it sound like something that could exist in the LOTD universe? If yes then choose that name.

For more futuristic games I try to add digits and underscores if it allows me, if not then I choose something representing technology such as "cyberghost" etc.