How Bethesda Designed Battlecry's Female Characters?

Discussion in 'BattleCry Discussion' started by elmarianexx, Jul 29, 2015.

1. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Well-Known Member

"One of the things we wanted to do was make sure our female warriors are aspirational to female players."

The developers behind Bethesda's upcoming PC free-to-play multiplayer game Battlecry have designed its female characters to be "aspirational" to female players, the company explained today at E3 2015. They won't look like strippers, Battlecry executive producer Rich Vogel said during an panel presentation.

"We have both male and female warriors in our game, and one of the things we wanted to do was make sure our female warriors are aspirational to female players," Vogel explained. The game's female characters should represent what female players "would enjoy and be proud of playing," instead of "something you would see at a strip club," he said.

Battlecry is a 32-player online multiplayer game currently in development at Battlecry Studios in Austin, Texas. The game's unique art style comes from the mind of Viktor Antonov; you may not know his name, but you're probably familiar with his work, as he designed Half-Life 2's City 17.

There are no guns in the game (it's set in an alternate history where nations signed a peace treaty forbidding the use of gunpowder), so combat is often up-close and personal. Overall, Bethesda describes Battlecry as a game that accentuates the "nobility" of battle.

Earlier this week at E3, Bethesda announced that the Battlecry beta will be available worldwide later this year; you can sign up for it here.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-bethesda-designed-battlecry-s-female-character/1100-6428303/

2. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Well-Known Member

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thank you for the detailed post, it helped me understand a little bit more about what's going on in the "backstage". The trailer looks really good, and if the game looks anything like it then it's going to be a hit!

4. mooray

mooray Active Member

The trailer is awesome. Although, I must admit I am rarely inspired by gaming characters, it would feel good controlling a character like Bethseda who fits the gaming world.

5. atlantasports

atlantasports Well-Known Member

Man, that trailer looks so good. I can't wait to play this. I'm definitely going to buy this asap.

6. atlantasports

atlantasports Well-Known Member

I completely agree with that. I find it hard to be inspired by gaming characters as well, but I think that Bethesda is going to be a really easy to manage character.

7. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like that they put effort into making it personal and customized. And I agree, the characters should be what I'd want to be proud of. Not how they are most times in video games.

8. SinisterSpydio

SinisterSpydio Well-Known Member
    Regular

Wow, great trailer! Can't waitttttttt.

9. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member
    Regular

What a fantastic trailer!

10. philbert

philbert New Member

11. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Can someone please ban this guy.

12. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's always interesting to see how the game was developed. Interesting they took that approach to creating female characters. I would imagine there aren't many female developers, so it's cool to see what they had in mind when creating those characters.

13. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree, it is so interesting to see how everything works in the background of such a big company, I wouldn't agree about the female developers but you could be right, I just hope they polish them to the point of greatness so it makes the game even better when it comes out.

14. rajesh

rajesh Active Member

I loved the video. The PEGI trailer was really awesome. The game looks very promising. The characters look awesome. Thank you for posting the video.