Have you tried being paid while testing and writing a review of a new game?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by mwin43587, Jun 7, 2015.

1. mwin43587

mwin43587 Well-Known Member

Have you tried being paid while testing and writing a review of a new game?

2. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

No but I heard some people do that but it's not always fun and games because they're forced to try the beta or some really bad games but that's the worst of it. If I could do this it would be a dream job definitely. Gaming has to be a passion for someone in this profession and writing skills are a must.

3. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

Once I actually signed up to a site offering money for game reviews but I ended up never getting any games to review. However there are plenty of opportunities online to sign up for so if you want to try please share your experiences.

4. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member
    Regular

Yes I have and has been a wonderful experience sometimes. Only downside, like one that was mentioned above is that you may not enjoy the game your testing. Also you may have to be required to complete a lot of stages and steps in the game in order to receive credit. Overall it is a fun way to make extra money especially for a gamer. Another downfall I have experienced is not getting paid for testing games or writing a review. You will be fine as long as you make sure you do your research on the company who needs this information.

5. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have a friend who was a beta tester. Unfortunately for her, a week before she started the company signed some exclusive deal and they completely shifted their business towards HOPA and F2P games. She did not have fun, but she managed to save her ass and move to a different section of the company and now she's a graphic designer for them.

6. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I wouldn't mind being paid to write reviews for video games, but my problem would lie in the fact that I don't have every console and I'm still in the process of building a new gaming PC. There's also the fact that I'm not a huge fan of certain genres of games like sport and party games. Then again, if the pay is good, I can find a way to hide my bias and write an honest review of the game even if I hated it.

7. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

It sounds like a pretty fun deal, but everything turns boring when you turn it into a job.
    I know people who had success with reviewing games on youtube and getting money from the views, but they also get contacted by some studios and developers and feature their games for a fee.

8. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Very good point!!! I'd rather review games as some sort of pastime rather than simply turning it into a lame monetization attempt. I wouldn't like that at all. Let the hobbies be simple hobbies rather than ways of leeching money off of them.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I've been paid a couple of times to write an in-depth review of some Android games, but that is about it. It was fun being part of the project though.

10. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, I haven't but believe me when I say if I was to be given a good opportunity within that field I would take it.

11. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have not. I wish I could get such blogging gigs. It would be interesting to write those videoblogs. And making videos for such sponsored review is not a bad idea. I am sure many people will appreciate it.

12. fishbate

fishbate Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not yet but i'm willing to try, being paid while having fun is the best job there is. Also it is a great way to enhance your gaming skills and earning at the same time. I wish i had that experience.

13. dionnextherese

dionnextherese Well-Known Member
    Regular

I haven't tried this kind of job yet but I'm willing to try it since I'm into games.