Have you read any good fiction recently?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by casiolol, Sep 27, 2013.

1. casiolol

casiolol Well-Known Member

I like to read fiction in my down time when I am not on the web or gaming. I recently read life of pi which was just average. The last really good fiction book that I read was Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell. Have you found any fiction gems lately?

2. ZackBanana

ZackBanana Member

You should try Unwind by Neal Shusterman. It's got dynamic characters and a really immersive universe. It takes place in a world where kids aged 13 - 17 can be "proactively aborted" or, unwound. They surgically take the kids apart while keeping them alive the whole time. After this, they donate their body parts to people that need them. It's a pretty dark story, but not too dark. It's definitely one of my favorites.
    Since it's release, there has been a sequel titled UnWholly and a novella titled UnStrung. Though, UnStrung is only available in eBook form. I actually heard news about a third book titled UnSouled scheduled for release sometime this month. However, I'm not too sure about the details on that one.

My little description really doesn't do this book justice. I highly recommend you read it.

3. iShootRocks

iShootRocks Member

You really should read Divergent by Veronica Roth. Its a dystopian book about a girl named Beatrice. There's 5 factions and each represents a virtue. She belongs to the selfless virtue and she doesn't feel right there. So when you're 16 you get to take a test to see what faction you belong to. She found out that shes special and could belong to any 3 factions. This is extremely dangerous and if anyone finds out she will be killed. She joins the Dauntless faction (Faction of courage) and she goes through initiation which is extremely intense and she does some insane stuff. Its the first in a 3 book series and its quite a page turner. I read two of them in around 5 days which is pretty good for me because I'm a slow reader. I just couldn't put it down! I highly recommend it.

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

The last book I read was The Da Vinci Code it was a really great book unlike the movie I was disappointed sadly I would love to read more books , but with college and all I don't really have the time to do so.:mad:

5. casiolol

That looks like quite the novel. I love how you describe it. I'll definitely check it out! Thank you so much. I haven't heard of the author, Veronica Roth. I think I would fit in well with a selfless virtue faction.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Last great one was Impact by Douglass Preston. Very nice scifi thriller.

7. crimsonghost747

Regular

Last great one was Impact by Douglass Preston. Very nice scifi thriller.

8. iShootRocks

iShootRocks Member

Yeah you should its a very interesting book. I really like how it makes you think about her decisions and what you would do if you were there. I'd probably fit into the faction of knowledge haha I love learning

9. casiolol

I recently finished Childhood's End, a sci-fi novel by Arthur C. Clark. It was a pretty good read. The middle drags a bit but the beginning and the end are fascinating. I rate it a B+.

10. Myristyl

Myristyl Member

I just recently finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Best I've read by him in quite some time.

I would also recommend George RR Martin's books, but that is a MAJOR time commitment.

11. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

I am currently reading The City and the City by China Mieville. Unlike his usual weird fiction this one is something of a pulp detective story but of course with the usually Mieville touch. Pretty good so far even though I haven't finished it as yet.

12. jardantuan

jardantuan Active Member

I'll second George RR Martin.

After the third season of Game of Thrones (having only caught up with the show a few weeks before season 3 began) I made a decision to read them. Any fans of the show owe it to themselves to do so - there's so much backstory that (understandably) gets left out of the show, and a lot of things started to make sense having read the books.

Currently near the beginning of A Dance With Dragons, but it's hard to find time to sit down and read these days :(

13. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

Those reading his ASOIAF well be smart to take up the books one at a time. The insane length of the first five can feel daunting to many and it would be advisable to stretch it out for a long period of time.

Also, his much shorter novel Fevre Dream is treat to read. For those sick of the sparkly, likable vampire shit will definitely like it.

14. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

About a month ago I started reading "The Road" so far it's a great book, but I am a little over half way done with the book I should be done with the book soon since I have some free time.:cool:

15. crimsonghost747

Regular

Picked up another one of his scifi books, Ice Limit. Haven't gotten far yet (only had it for a day) but it seems promising but not as great as Impact.

16. doctorimpossible

One absolutely amazing series you should definitely check out is the lies of Locke lamano(pretty sure that's how it's spelled) it is a book about a group of thieves that scuttle around a dark medieval Venice and relieve wealthy people of their money. Beware the dark tiwst near the end of the story

17. Psybe

Psybe Well-Known Member

Yup. Illuminatus and Schrodinger's Cat by RAW. Love that guy

18. WorkingGamer

WorkingGamer Member

Neil is such a good author and his books are so damn good, I mean when I first was told to read them I was not quite sure but ended up absolutely loving them. "Skinjackers" is probably my favorite but "Unwind" is good aswell. Also I recently started reading "Swallowing Stones" again and still love it so I would suggest it.

19. kellykr09

kellykr09 Active Member

I read Divergent and it was great. I wasn't really interested in reading it before, but after I saw the movie trailer, I just had to. It was amazing and I'm in the middle of reading the second installment of the series. I'm in love with young adult fiction, but a lot of them tend to fall for the typical cliche storylines, which annoy me to no end.

20. AnotherEmpty

AnotherEmpty Member

I'm marching through the surprisingly and eminently readable Count Belisarius by the peculiar and particular caretaker of the ancients Robert Graves. Page 210. Started three days ago. I do not read too many books, but I love it. He's an excellent author who does not get mentioned enough with his interesting way of combining exhausting (literally exhausting, just reading his sources tires out my brain!) and exhaustive research with a very quick pen. I can't praise him enough.