Quantcast

Have you ever played earthbound?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Jasmine2015, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I think it is one of the coolest games made. The melodies are awesome to listen to. So what is your take on this game?

2. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

I haven't played it yet, but I've been meaning to. It's definitely a bit of a cult classic. From what I've heard, it's sort of like a sci-fi RPG? I love Ness and Lucas in SSB, so I've been meaning to play it for a long time. I just haven't gotten around to it.

3. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member Regular

I haven't played it, but looks like it could be a pretty cool RPG. Ness is one of my favorite characters in Super Smash Bros. and I think he's from that game.

4. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I never beat it, but it's a pretty cool game and has some designs I wish were implemented in more game such as instantly defeating enemies that are way weaker than you. Sadly, though, the INSANE final boss fight became a meme and lost a lot of its impact...

Anyway, it's very good game and it's pretty unique. The sequel, MOTHER 3, is totally worth playing too. Ignore EarthBound 0/Mother 1 though, it's awful and I personally found it unplayably unfun.

5. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member Regular

Yes! I played and beat it several times. Awesome and charming SNES RPG, with quirky humor. Many RPGs, let alone games nail the atmosphere, quirkiness, and heartwarming moments that Earthbound (and the other titles in the series) accomplish. I can't recommend this enough. If you enjoy this, try Mother 3 with the fan-made English translation patch.

6. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I've never played it, but I've heard a lot about it. A lot of people seem to like it! It's surely a cult classic of gaming.

7. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

Ness is in super smash Bros and I believe Lucas is also in atleast one of the series. I don't remember whether or not you have to unlock him or not. Though lots of people here seem to like mother 3. I wish another game was made in the series.

8. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I adore the hell out of that game! The only thing that pissed me off about it was the limited inventory space and having to grind to get the best weapon and armors in the game. Just thinking about the Sword of Kinds used to make my eye twitch for a good minute or two since I spent two whole days trying to get that damned sword. Sure my part was overleveled, but I did what I had to do. Plus, who doesn't like making kids dig in trash cans for hamburgers to heal you when combined with packets of ketchup?

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  9. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I've played a bit of Earthbound and Mother 3, but haven't beaten either. Earthbound is good... but I think it's kind of dated nowadays, it's still good, with a great soundtrack, and wonderfully unique premise, but some of the combat mechanics are a bit dated in my opinion. I started Mother 3, and that's an incredible game, one of these days I need to go back and beat it.

10. SereneAngel88

Ah, I beat Mother 3 and I have to admit that the ending actually made me a bit misty eyed, though there were parts of the game that gave me the same effect. I've heard of a Mother 4 fan game being produced and so I'm going to keep an eye out and see how it develops.

11. Narukami

Yeah, the Mother 4 fangame is looking good but I think it's been in development for quite a while now! I hate the title of it, though. I mean, it's a fangame but calling it Mother 4 makes it sound as if they're trying to pass it off as an official sequel and that greatly bothers me...

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Never tried it but a lot of people that played it say that the game is really nice, and the soundtrack is pretty good indeed. Maybe I'll give it a go some day! :D

13. SereneAngel88

That's true but if they called it Earthbound 2, I would think that we would see Ness and company again. I just treat it like I treat Final Fantasy: every entry (with the exception of a couple) is its own story within the same universe. Mother 1 had Ninten , Mother 2 had Ness and Mother 3 had Lucas so having a new protagonist for Mother 4 isn't farfetched...

14. Narukami

Oh I get that. It's like Final Fantasy in that sense, sure. But my point is that I dislike that a FAN game is called Mother 4, because it makes it sound like an official sequel even though it isn't. It's like if there was a Final Fantasy fangame called Final Fantasy X, you know?

I think they should have called it something else, something that sounded less official.

15. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I have heard about it, and a friend of mine highly recommended the game to me, knowing that I was a big RPG fan. I will definitely check it out, as soon as time allows.

16. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member Regular

I started it but I kinda crapped out at the beginning. The enemies were really challenging and I died constantly. I'd like to go back and try it again sometime though.

17. Jeffery3

Jeffery3 Guest

This is my favorite game.

18. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

I once watched a friend of mine play although i didn't get interested in it since I played so many games at the same time that I had enough.

19. SereneAngel88

That makes sense. But the creator did say that he wouldn't mind if people continued making games from the series and anyone that is a Mother/Earthbound fan knows that Mother 3 is the last game (as well as a game we never got in the states). Unless it was made by Itoi himself, it is automatically non-official in my book so I don't have a problem with it.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  20. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member Regular

I don't pertain to those who have played, but from the looks of some videos which I hastily searched on Youtube, it looks strong and has an overall nice flow. I will try it and come back with a response. Thank you! :D