Have hobbit ever revisited Dale and Erebor or immediately went to Rivendell?

Discussion in 'Lord of the Rings' started by pinkring, Aug 6, 2013.

1. pinkring

pinkring Well-Known Member

Have hobbit ever revisited Dale and Erebor or immediately went to Rivendell?

2. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

It says in the book, that Bilbo got to Rivendell without much adventure, and after that he went to Dale together with the dwarves (which seems to be his last journey) and back again to Rivendell.

3. pinkring

pinkring Well-Known Member

Thanks, I must have overlooked it cause I haven't found anything that would say he did return to Erebor (maybe I skipped some bit of text :). I have to search more thoroughly (it's curious that in the timeline there is no mention of it, meaning no date shown for example Bilbo visits Erebor again or something like that :). Amazing I read books so many times and still things like that can escape my memory haha :) well maybe it's good cause I can rediscover them again with fresh sense of wonder :).

4. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

I had to seach for it myself - I´m reread LotR because I thought there are too many things that I cannot remember but a book like LotR I can never read too many times. :) I didn´t looked in the timeline - It says that Bilbo went to Rivendell, Dale and back again in the conversation between Bilbo and Frodo in the chapter

5. BattleAxe

BattleAxe Well-Known Member

I often find myself discovering more and more things each time I give the books another reading :) They are really detailed and I often find myself revisiting certain chapters to get a better understanding of a current event in the book.

6. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

This is a good question. Bilbo tells Frodo that he went from Rivendell with the dwarves to Dale and all the way back, but other than that I don't think so. I will have to check the books again.

7. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Well-Known Member

From memory, the books say that Bilbo (and later Frodo) often went walking, and met with Elves and Dwarves, as well as the fact that here "disappeared frequently". I always felt that Bilbo would have visited Rivendell a few times after his "Unexpected Journey" because he seems very much at home there, and quite close to Lord Elrond, and Aragorn, when we meet him in Rivendell once Frodo arrives there.