Quantcast

Handheld, console or PC?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Narukami, May 22, 2014.

1. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

So, what's your favorite system to play RPGs on in between handhelds, consoles and PCs?

Personally, I love RPGs on handhelds the most, specially if they're grindy at all. Grinding a bit on a handheld RPG doesn't feel as annoying as grinding in a console RPG to me, due to the portability and the pick-up-and-play style of handheld systems. Also, most classic RPGs have been moving towards handhelds and ignoring consoles and PCs, so handhelds seem like better systems for RPGs all around.

2. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Well-Known Member

Hmm. Can you suggest a handheld RPG to me? I wanted to play a pretty good RPG on my phone the only handheld RPG I played was Infinity Blade, pretty fun and graphics are good.

3. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

It depends on the type of RPG. If RP games were restricted to a system type, then I would say I prefer PC's for advance RP games like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc. For adventure RP games like Zelda and Final Fantasy, then console systems are nicer. However, if console system RP games are open to PC's, then I would pick PC's for sure.

4. Catalyst64

Catalyst64 Well-Known Member

I would say console because it's easier to manage a controller than a mouse and keyboard. But if it's a MMORPG, I would say computer, because communications and stuff.

5. Lolman112

Lolman112 Well-Known Member

PC, best graphics, best controls (subjective) and usually best games in general. The only bad part about it is you can't take 'em with you .

6. firelily99

firelily99 Member

I do have a console but for me it has to be the PC or actually my laptop. When I bought my new lap top - which I use for work - I added a gamer's package to so I would have the games with me when I was on the road. The laptop was paid for by my employer but I paid for the package which was worth it for me to have it.

7. Narukami

To be fair, the PC does have best controls and that is not subjective. Why is it not subjective? Because on PC you can use anything you want as a controller. You like the Dualshock 3? You can use it. You like the 360 controller? You can use that too! You like keyboard & mouse? Definitely an option and only for PCs!

8. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

PC, I like the freedom of controls, graphics and ability to play on a large monitor/tv.

9. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Consoles mainly because I grew up playing games on the console. I gamed on the PC before like Final Fantasy 8 but it's not the same. I know that it's easier to navigate because of the keyboard and mouse but I'm too lazy to keep up hardware-wise. Console to me is way more convenient be it RPGs or other genres because I don't have to tweak anything other than brightness and maybe frames lock in some games.

10. Arya

Arya Well-Known Member

My favorite is PC, they get much more in depth than handhelds, and I prefer the controls over console.

11. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member Regular

Well I think that the PC would be the best option, because it has the best graphics and more stuff if you ask me. The games on the PC always have more than the consoles and handhelds. I just love the PC graphics though they just look so much better. After the PC I would go with console over handheld, because I just like playing on big screens haha.

12. megadelayed

megadelayed Active Member

I find that RPG's that requires quite a bit of grinding is great to play on a handheld console, as you can just get it out and grind when you find yourself in a boring situation outside of your home. Whereas on a PC/console you get the feeling that you want to see more and more of the storyline as soon as possible and grinding becomes more tedious.

13. Narukami

That's exactly how I feel about it. Grinding a bit on a handheld doesn't feel like a chore. You whip it out for a bit, do some grinding and then you're done. Hell, it's actually preferable to not have a story-heavy game on a handheld, since it requires more attention and you're prone to being more distracted on a handheld.

But on a console, grind-heavy games just feel like damn chores.

14. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer playing on my PC because of better graphics and more power than in a handheld or console.

15. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Well-Known Member

I would have to say console RPG's, although the PC is very good, the lag time can be an issue. If you have a super PC with great specs then go for the PC , if not do the Console thing.

16. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

I have to go with PC. Once my eyes have been open to the world of modding, they were never shut again. Everything else just seems like a downgrade when you can make changes to a game yourself to fix things or add things to get extra play value out of it. (Thank you, Dragon Age for spoiling me like that! <333)

17. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

I prefer to play on a console, unless I'm playing a MMORPG. If I'm playing a MMORPG I would prefer to play on a PC.

18. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

PC offeres a lot of variety and modification options to games. Especially for MMO's, I cannot see myself having much fun with WoW if it was for xbox.

19. majessticah

majessticah Active Member

Personally, I'm a PC gamer at heart. While I do own consoles and enjoy using them, I always feel more relaxed while PC gaming -- especially RPGs. I'm not sure if it's because controllers get annoying to me to constantly hold, or if I'm just more comfortable at the PC. Additionally, I find that games with large, open worlds like Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, Shadow of Mordor, etc. load a LOT faster on the PC. For example, most of my experience playing Skyrim on PS3 was load screen after load screen that took at least 2 minutes each. On the PC, they zip by. Definitely preferable to me. Also, certain games allow mods, again using Skyrim as an example, and using a console makes this impossible. ;)

20. Arma45

Arma45 Active Member

In order it would be PC, Consoles, Handheld.

I prefer PC due to the vast majority of the games I can play for one. Then you have graphics. The amount of detail once can experience from their PC is mind blowing. The plus side on controls is as already mentioned. I use a 360 controller on some games because I like the feel and lay out of it.

I have no problem using keyboard and mouse on those games that require it as the MMO I play does and actually find myself enjoying it and is rather easy to learn quickly.