Quantcast

Growing up, what were your favorite RPGs?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by BroknKyboard, Dec 15, 2013.

1. insertkittyface

insertkittyface Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy and Pokemon was all I played. Two of my favorite things, even to this day.

2. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Well-Known Member

I was big on the Zelda games as a kid, Final Fantasy was another game I played a lot.

3. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

Too many to name haha. Pretty much anything by Square Enix was an automatic buy- Chrono, Final Fantasy, KH, Xenogears. Atlus and Namco produced a few interesting RPGs like Persona, Disgea, Tales and Xenosaga. (I loved Xenosaga so much.) Zelda of course and Pokemon.

4. primaLucid

primaLucid Well-Known Member Regular

My favorite RPG games were definitely the Pokemon games. I started playing Pokemon Red on the Gameboy Color and I fell in love with the game. I recently bought a 3DS to play the new Pokemon ORAS games, and I am still amazed that Gamefreak is still producing high quality Pokemon games. It is definitely very nostalgic.

5. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I loved playing Final Fantasy series as I have grown up playing them. I just wish that the recent ones were even half as good as the first few entries.

6. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

Diablo. I played that game so much. I played Pokemon a lot with friends as well but nothing on the scale of Diablo. It only got worse when Diablo 2 was released. I probably had 6-7 accounts full of characters.

7. Briggs

Briggs Well-Known Member

Lmao! Growing up the only rpg I played was with dice, paper, and pencil. I'm old enough that D&D was a really big thing when I was young. We use to sit around the kitchen table all night long playing. I remember staying up so late that I fell asleep in the middle of the table while the characters wee fighting!! Lol

8. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I enjoyed, Super mario and how it had a fantasy world and you felt connected to the game and also it is was a game that could cause you to get frustrated at the puzzles. I also enjoyed, Spyro the dragn and playing a dragon who has to save the adult ones and also beat the villians who can be challenging at times. I, did like Crash bandicoot and how the graphics were in the game and also how it looked real good to play as well.

9. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

The Fable games, some of the Final Fantasy Titles, and so many others.

10. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

Yeah, I also have to say that Pokemon games were definetly the best. Nobody in my neighborhood had a portable console but we would all just emulate the game on our PCs and play it all games. Even now when I play it on a mobile phone and such I get extreme pleasure out of it. And part of that is definetly the sentiment behind Pokemons :p

11. xSentaru

xSentaru Member

Chrono Cross baby! One of the best RPG's I have ever played. The beautiful background art, the music and the characters are amazing! The game had mind-blowing cutscenes for its time. The story can be a little of a fuck up sometimes, but overall, the game is worth. I've used to play it everyday on my PS1 when I was younger. I still boot it up on my emulator from time to time. If you haven't played the title yet, you are missing out big time!

12. Paradox

Paradox Member

Final Fantasy I-VII as well as Chrono Trigger were my favorite hands down. If I had to narrow it down it would probably be FFVI(or FFIII if you had the American version). I believe this is also where the Mog and his moogle pals were first introduced. The back stories behind each character always took my interest and I loved the fallout of the second half with the world in ruins. Espers (summons) were really nice in this one as well and the music was godlike. Definitely had replay value for me in this game and that's what matters most to me in any game.

13. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

My favorite rpgs were first the game Final Fantasy IX (Final Fantasy 9/FFIX) which would then eventually lead me to the game Boku to Mao (Okage: Shadow King/I am Satan King). Despite it's Japanese title, it actually has nothing at all to do with the devil; it's just an evil king who's a shadow now that has to beat up other 'fake' evil kings; some of which would then go on to help in the quest with an underlying story becoming more and more apparent as you play through the game.

14. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy 8 - my first JRPG, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout, Icewind Dale (really, any Black Isle game I could get my hands on), Quest for Glory series (sure, not a pure RPG, but definitely a strong RPG element in those games, I only had 1, 3 and 4, sadly, probably because 2 never got remade and 5 was too new at that point). I've also played some of the Ishar trilogy, but never got too far in it because I was way too young back then.

15. Rado.ko

Rado.ko Member

The first Gothic along with Blade of Darkness. Both great games, spent a lot of time on them.

16. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Well-Known Member

Some of the FF games, most especially those in the Gameboy. For some reason I enjoy the pixelated FF games more than the ones with better graphics.

17. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Game Boy Color, or Advance? I'm assuming it was the FF4-6 remasters? :)

18. Jesse93

Jesse93 Member

Pokemon Yellow was my first RPG. But I will always have a soft spot for Final Fantasy 6. I remember being a kid and spending hours playing it. It was the first game that really made me feel connected to the characters. Since then I've loved Final Fantasy. I think it will always be my favorite series.

19. Escoda

Escoda Member

Pokemon, I can still vividly remember the rage I had when my brother took my Pokemon Yellow to a friend of his and lost it. Turns out years later he never lost it there but at home where it fell between a chair which we only discovered upon taking that chair apart, I definitely had some apologies to make that day.

But I still have my Blue cartridge around, I should really do something about preserving the battery that's in there to not lose my save game.

20. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Final Fantasy 8, 9 and 10 and Grandia II were my favorites as a kid, while as my teenage years were consumed by Persona 3. Great games, most of them still hold up today!

Also, I was into Pokémon too but I honestly never got into the game as much as other kids and I don't care much for Pokémon nowadays...