Quantcast

Growing up, what were your favorite RPGs?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by BroknKyboard, Dec 15, 2013.

1. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

Mine were Chrono Trigger and the original Pokemon games!

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Mine was Pokémon Red it was my 1st RPG I loved the game, but I never watched the anime.

3. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Me too, I absolutely love Chrono Trigger even more so than Final Fantasy 8. Seven was good but I love Final Fantasy 8 better. The remake for the PS1 was the best version.

4. Martin

Martin Member

I have to go with Morrowind. The base game was good, but the modding community was fantastic. There was so much added mod content for that game, it really upped both my enjoyment of it and the re-playability of the game.

5. xXPandosXx

xXPandosXx Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears, I believe that these two games were probably the best games at their time. Beautiful graphics, huge and impressive storyline and strategic combat with lots of features. Besides, who doesn't like Mechs? ^^

6. heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou Well-Known Member

The very first RPG that caught my eye was Phantasy Star IV on Sega Genesis, such a great game. Earthbound also become one of my favorites, and then later there was Xenogears, FFVII, and Saga Frontier.

7. jbepp

jbepp Well-Known Member

I remember playing Morrowind on the Xbox and Neverwinter Nights 2 on PC.
    Those two were my favorite RPGs, and I still consider them excellent RPGs.

8. Rice

Rice Active Member

Chrono Trigger was absolutely amazing; actually it is still is one of my favorite RPGs. It doesn't really get all that old and the sound track is still great.

Growing up, however, my favorite RPG was probably the Lufia series, Lufia II: Rise of the Sinsterals on SNES, and Lufia: The Legend Returns. Just something about the combat system was something I really enjoyed, especially on the third installment. There was an interesting depth of strategy and the 3x3 placement of characters made it fairly unique. The plot was fairly well executed as well.

I also really enjoyed Tales of Eternia/Tales of Destiny II for the PSX when the action-based combat of the Tales series used to be new and refreshing. The plot was interesting, the game had a good length and replay value, and characters had their quirks as well. I did enjoy the mini-games included as well.

9. rosacrux

rosacrux Well-Known Member

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI (in my times it was called III). The SNES had games really great, but I will always remember CT and FFVI as the ones that introduced to the RPG world.

10. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

I was a late bloomer. I was introduced to RPGs in the PS 1 days already. The very first RPG that I played was Guardian's Crusade and I feel in love with it immediately. The vibrant graphics, the massive world, and the cute little Baby. . . It was the first RPG that I loved.

11. t0rnad0

t0rnad0 Well-Known Member

Like a lot of people on here, Chrono Trigger and FFVI were my favorites when I was younger. They had such awesome soundtracks and were so memorable. Another one of my favorites was the Quest for Glory series on the PC.

12. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

I grew up playing Zelda and all of the Final Fantasy games. I started playing Runescape, Diablo and World of Warcraft in my early to late teens. It's kind of hard to say which is my favorite since I usually play one game until I get bored then I hop onto another one.

13. Delusional

Delusional Well-Known Member

I played Zelda a lot. I really loved the game and all the sequels they made. I also played Pokemon on my Gameboy. Only the original ones because I didn't care about the next generations of pokemon.

14. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member Regular

The early Final Fantasy games and Pokemon. That's all I needed.

15. Mine was definitely Pokemon! It was probably my first RPG and I really enjoyed the game! I remember playing the games and watching the anime a lot growing up as a kid.

16. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

My favorite RPG's growing up were Legend of Dragoon for PS1, but that's hardly when I was growing up actually. So probably Mystic Quest for the TG16, Final Fantasy 6 for the SNES and Might & Magic 5, 6, 7 and 8 for the PC.

17. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

For me it was the original Wizardry game that launched me into the gaming world. Although it was not a game in which one competed with other players (the few modems out there were pretty slow), there are a lot of elements from that original game that I see in more modern games.

18. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

My very first RPG is a dragon ball game for SNES, where they covered the whole Frieza story arc. It got me into the RPG genre as a whole, and after that I have learned to appreciate the beauty of RPG. As for my favourite, it's actually a more obscure game called Radiant Historia for NDS developed by Atlus. It's also a proof that there's still a lot of great games out there if I removed my nostalgia goggles.

19. rachael

rachael Active Member

Mine was Fable:TLC, I didn't get that until I was like 10 or so. It really introduced me to the RPG world, and I've never turned back.

20. hamz10

hamz10 Well-Known Member

I loved final fantasy as a kid also I loved all the paper Mario games. they give a great RPG experience!