Quantcast

Graphics Compared To Other Tom Clancy Games

Discussion in 'The Division' started by troutski, May 5, 2015.

1. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

You know, Tom Clancy games have never really had the best graphics at the time of release. New Vegas 1 and 2 looked pretty bad when they came out. GRAW 1 and 2 looked all right, and then Future Soldier looked a lot better than most of the other games. Do you think The Division is going to suffer from the same old issue of meh graphics?

2. andkno

andkno Member

Who knows, we can't really tell until they release it, I would assume that being a "next-gen" game it should display better graphics and hopefully they will be really good.

3. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

People are saying that it's been downgraded since the first showing of the game, but I think that even now it's the best looking Tom Clancy game ever made. The Snowdrop Engine, the graphical engine they're using, looks really good and the enviroments are beautiful. It's obvious they're putting a lot of work on the look of the game, and it shows.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

From the trailers we can't really tell for certain since they always pump up the graphics to make the game look good but I assume this one is going to have next-gen graphics, which should be at least good.

5. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, game developers DO seem to keep doing that, don't they? Almost makes one cynical about gaming in general.

I'm more interested in the game play than the graphics insofar as they're consistent and they're more or less seamless anyway. I'd rather a game that doesn't look amazing but at least feels right when I play it, ie no free-floating characters or enemies firing in random, useless directions but mysteriously hitting me anyway. And so far, The Division is at least toeing the modern graphics line, if not flinging itself bodily over the line and into the deep.

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

The most important thing for me though is that I hope it runs relatively fine on consoles and on most PCs. Performance should be the priority when we're talking about Ubisoft games.

7. FuZyOn

Could you blame them? Your average Joe won't be able to tell the difference between the trailer and the actual graphics, so they can get away with it pretty easily. I remember how EA does this mostly every year with FIFA. FIFA 08's trailer looked like FIFA 15 gameplay for God's sake.

8. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Ugh. Those sports games. I take beef with sports games in general. I used to love them when I was younger, but each year the titles seem like more and more of the same, with just a few tweaks to make them 'fresh' and 'new'. EA's approach to sports games - releasing a new title every year - has informed their decision-making for all of their games, and I don't like that one bit. You shouldn't be releasing some of these titles every year, give the developers time to work.

Anyway.

The graphics on Division look fine so far, and I'd like to think that Ubisoft won't besmirch their franchise's name by mucking this aspect of its game too much.

9. FuZyOn

I think the yearly releases are fine as long as you actually update your game significantly. EA also have the upperhand since they have the best sports games, so they can get away with every crap they pull. Worst company ever, honestly.

10. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

SLTE and FuZyOn: the way I look at it with yearly sports game releases is that the developers never stop working on the game and simply release yearly builds. It's up to you to decide if that year's build has enough improvement over the last in order to buy it. It also helps the devs see what works and what doesn't, and allows them to take it out if it doesn't work and bombs.

I'm a huge hockey fan, but I no longer get EA Sports NHL titles every year. For Xbox 360, I went NHL 09, NHL 11, and NHL 14. I'll wait and see what NHL 16 brings but so far I'm not crazy about it so I'll probably skip it. Once you get over thinking that you *need* to buy it every year, you find that skipping a year or two isn't that bad.

Also, those games go down in price very quickly (usually a few months after release), so if you're willing to wait, you can usually get the "upgraded" game for $20-40.

As for the graphics in the Division, every video has blown me away so far. It'll be interesting to see them once released on my console or PC, but right now I'd say they definitely are above other Tom Clancy games, and better than a lot of other games in general.

11. FuZyOn

Well, it doesn't really work that way. For example, it's mandatory to purchase a new FIFA game every year because of some new, small additions. Compare FIFA 15 and 16 for instance - barely any change in gameplay and graphics but instead they have a new menu, updated features, new Ultimate Team features (basically EA's cash cow) and new transfers. I probably won't spend a dime and bother with FIFA this year, but I'm in the minority.

12. Cyborg Superman

It's not mandatory to buy it every year though, that's totally your decision. And honestly, it's starting to get hard to improve things at the point where we're at. I don't know how much more they can push it.

13. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

Well it's really hard to mess up the graphics now since most consoles are really powerful, except for the Wii U maybe. But who knows, I mean, players got all riled up when the issue of FPS is at stake and yet they want their games to look awesome. But I think it would look amazing as it is and besides, you play games for the experience of the game not the way it looks.

14. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member Regular

That's the pain I always face on my mediocre PC. I want my games to look really really good, but if I do, I know I'll suffer a bit of lag. While graphics aren't everything, it's a nice touch to a game I feel. I agree though, gameplay is what's really important.

15. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

Couldn't agree more. I've been playing on my laptop for years before I got a proper PC and I have to say, playing any game beyond 2009 is a real drag.

When I played Skyrim for the first time I had to turn down the resolution to an embarrassing 800x600 just so I can play the game at High settings at a decent enough frame rate.

16. harlek

harlek Active Member Regular

Probably not although the graphics downgrade thing might come up but I think it's not going to be a problem. Also since most games of today look gorgeous even at the lowest possible graphical settings, it's probably a safe bet to say that this game would hold up in terms of graphics.

17. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Well-Known Member Regular

The trailers suggest the graphics are going to be next-gen, which they will always do no matter what the final result is going to be. But remember this game is utilizing the Snowdrop engine, its new, its supposed to be a huge step forward in terms of graphics processing, and its really the biggest factor. If the developers can use this relatively new system effectively then this might just be the Clancy title that sets the standard for the next few years.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  18. Cyborg Superman

That's one part I'm really excited about: the new Snowdrop engine. It seems pretty sick in the videos, but I'm curious to really give it a try. It would be nice to have a new game engine that looks and feels amazing! I'm hopeful.

19. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member Regular

We won't know until it's out and being played. From the looks of it, it'll be good though.

20. karamara

karamara Active Member Regular

The tech demos look awesome but then again, game companies have a long history of showcasing mind blowing graphics and then delivering a watered down version of what it's supposed to be. I think Killzone pulled that one off when the PS4 is being showed to the public.

But I think this game would look good at release, I mean there's really not much of an excuse you can make to give the consumers lousy outdated graphics since pretty much most consoles have the technology to pull off great visual feats.