Gospel of Artyom

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Komodo Saurian, Mar 25, 2013.

1. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

Today was the first time I have read this. I love Metro for how powerful the story can be.

2. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Reading now ;)

3. Clear Sky Stalker

Clear Sky Stalker Spartan Ranger
    Regular

4. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

very good. loved it.

5. Mikhail Porfiryevich

Mikhail Porfiryevich Active Member

Very good, powerful and sad. Artyom was very cruel but at least he knows and hopefully he (me) will have a way of making it up to the dark ones in Last light.

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Tbh, now that I look back on the first time I read this in Polish, I've come to the conclusion that this comic version is worse than the one included with the books as text only. Perhaps it's the way that text by itself forces you to imagine things on your own and there are only words to read, the mind pays full attention to what the text conveys. In this comic, on the other hand, I found myself distracted by the images and some of them conflicted slightly with the way I imagined these scenes so many months earlier.

Furthermore, I really am under the impression that the Polish version was written using better language. I don't know - maybe it's just because Polish is my first language, but I've always found it more complex and beautiful than English ever since I got the hang of English.

7. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

Probably because English is a second language to you and it's quite different to your native language. Awkward translations are probably a problem too, a sentence in one language might translate to something not quite right in another.

Although I don't need to explain that to you since you seem like you have a better understanding of English than I do myself and most other British people tbh, everyone I know has the English writing skill of a brick. I always struggle explaining things for example, never knowing what words to use.

8. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

nah man it's just that polish is your first language.

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I guess so, which means that my impressions are definitely biased. But I really do find Polish harder to write and read. It has feminine and masculine words, there's no "of, the, a, an" etc. (the words change based on the sentence). Here's one example of that: in English numbers have only one form (two), whilst Polish has... seventeen forms (dwa, dwie, dwoje, dwóch, dwojga etc.). Sometimes I love this language for its complexity, but other times I hate it.

Although reading and writing is easier for me in English, I still speak more naturally in Polish than I do English (even though I forget some words or speak much less clearly than the average Pole when I'm not trying). I guess this is due to the fact that I use Polish as a speaking language much more often than I write it, as I still speak Polish at home or whenever I'm with my family or Polish friends.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread. I guess I should have started a new thread for this if I wanted to discuss it, but I was too dumb to do so. :p

10. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

SEVENTEEN!!! different ways of saying two :shocked::shocked::shocked:

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, see what I mean? :lol: It's because it varies depending on the sentence and its meanings (I'm pretty sure most of the Slavic languages have similar things too). Here are a few examples:
    English: Two guys were walking down the street.
    Polish: Dwaj faceci szli ulicą.

English: Two girls were walking down the street.
    Polish: Dwie dziewczyny szły ulicą.

English: Two airplanes flew over the airport.
    Polish: Dwa samoloty przeleciały nad lotniskiem.

English: It's still a long way to those two statues.
    Polish: Jeszcze kawał drogi do tamtych dwóch posągów.

There's tons more I could mention, but I can't be arsed to think of them - you'll get what I mean with those four. :p Sorry for the weird examples, they were just first ones that came to mind.

EDIT: Just realized I'm continuing this off-topic madness. Sorry! :p I guess we could start a thread with random facts about languages. :)

#31 Bamul, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
  12. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Ta-da!

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

14. Unspeakable

Unspeakable New Member

Well... I didn't even know that there's some kind of сomics about metro or something like that. Thanks!

15. Commissar_Jimbo

Commissar_Jimbo Well-Known Member

All of the images are errors for me :(

16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Someone else uploaded it as a video:

[YOUTUBE]zF4B95YHWZw[/YOUTUBE]