Goldselling and Archeage

Discussion in 'ArcheAge' started by ariana_, Oct 19, 2014.

1. ariana_

ariana_ Active Member

I feel like the problem has become ridiculous. There are gold selling bots everywhere now. There are even posts on the official forums, and nobody cares. I mean I have to wonder who is spending that much money on this game...but still. A lot of people think there is no point in playing legit. Do you guys think this is a huge problem, or just something that affects every MMO?

2. Mimsee

Mimsee Active Member

Goldselling is always going to be a part of MMOs because a lot of people don't want to do all of the mundane work that you do to farm up the gold yourself. In most games, though, it's taken very seriously and is a bannable offense. Maybe once ArcheAge has gained its footing in the MMO scene the moderators and game masters will start cracking down on the botting. It's definitely more of a problem in free-to-play game models though.

3. ariana_

ariana_ Active Member

I think that if they cracked down on gold selling, it would help Archeage in the MMO community. Personally, when I look to join a new MMO, I look to see how bad the economy is. I try to avoid getting into games that are just run by bots. I don't know anyone who has been banned for buying gold in Archeage. I wish the game had less grind so people wouldn't resort to these measures.

4. Mimsee

Mimsee Active Member

That's one of the main things I look at, too. :) If things are inflated or deflated so badly that the entire market is just ruined, there's no gain to be had from playing the game...it's so daunting to new players as well when they see that the game is such a grind that people have started botting it.

5. athena02

athena02 Member

I think the bots issue will always be present. Regardless of how many fixes are applied, they will always find ways to come back. That said, I think ArcheAge has been doing a good job at keeping bots and gold sellers from interfering with the game too much. Compared to the first few weeks, there has really been a huge improvements.

My only issue at this time is that it can be a pain to block like 3 of gold spammers that reached level 15 while I was asleep :p

Economy-wise, I think things are still stable. The price of Apex for example has been rising and falling appropriately according to the demand and supply.

6. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

Gold bots have been all over MMOs for years, you shouldn't be surprised. There's really no way to stop them unless the devs make some serious chat restrictions. Best you can do is ignore/report the gold spammers and move on with the game. As ariana_ said above, gold selling will always be apart of mmos, illegal or not.

7. Mimsee

Mimsee Active Member

I really like the way that Tera limits the global chat..you can't send more than 2 global messages in a short amount of time without being temporarily banned from the global chat. I think that ArcheAge should do something like that to help with the spam aspect of gold selling.

8. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

It seems unfair for the actual legitimate players who try to be social by limiting their messages. I actually think that the devs should begin shadowbanning the spammers. It might take up more server slots but it could decrease the amount of gold spammers.

9. Scottf13

Scottf13 Member

Banning the spam-tastic gold sellers and buyers would be a good idea. RMT isn't really a bother for me personally. The only issue I really have is when it drives up prices in some games or the bots won't shut up about it. If someone wants to go to some site and spend their money on fake gold so they can go play digital make-believe with less grind, go ahead. I just don't want to hear someone shouting it on every street corner. Keep it to yourself and move on with your life you bots!

10. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Firstly, just because they do not respond to forum posts about gold spammers, it doesn't mean they don't care.

Secondly, the reality check for everyone: how do you ban free to play accounts? You ban one and a hundred others pop up.

For Paid to Play games, there are still gold sellers, but it's worst for free to play games. If there is already an issue banning Paid to Play accounts that spam gold, how hard do you think it is to ban Free to Play accounts that spam gold?

There is no easy method to ban gold sellers spamming in free to play MMO games. No such technology. This isn't about hiring a million game masters and moderators because that's clearly a business sinkhole and unrealistic. This is about method.

When WoW started, gold spammers were there. Tons of them. Every expansion that came out, it was the same thing. When SWTOR came out, same thing. When Maplestory came out, same thing. I have not played a single MMO game that did not use in-game currency that did not have gold spammers. Even to this day, WoW still gets the occasional gold spammer. Thank the devs for implementing an easy report/block system and thank them further for putting a chat timer for new accounts. Other than that, there is no other good method.

foodal likes this.
  11. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Gold Sellers are always going to be a part of MMO's, there's no way around it.
    Blizzard was testing an alternative with the Diablo 3 Auction House, but that experiment went so poorly that they've already shut it down.

12. ariana_

ariana_ Active Member

Not all games have such a problem...sure, all games have gold sellers, but they don't necessarily cripple the economy.

13. Strykstar

Regular

I think that just varies with the size of the player base, they will be more active in games where they can find more clients.
    They not not cripple the economy, but they are always a bad influence on it.

14. jurew2

jurew2 Active Member
    Regular

Always when I play a MMO there are these gold bots and the gold sellers, which I really dislike in every game I play. They are more gold bots in the free to play models of the games, but there are also a few in the pay to play. I believe that there are always players that have too much money on them and don't like to grind for the ingame gold and therefore there will always be someone who is willing to sell the gold to them --> birth or continual existence of the gold bots.

15. ic3squid

ic3squid Well-Known Member

You can never really take away the gold sellers, they are always in some form in RPG's and if you try to ban it, even more gold seller s will appear. The best course of action right now for the moderators is to simply leave the gold sellers be, and if they decide to crack down on gold selling they must get a larger moderation team first.

16. Strykstar

Regular

Time is money, I understand why some people buy gold.
    Why spend 30 hours grinding for gold in the game when you can work for 5 hours and make enough money to buy the same amount of gold?

17. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's one of those problems that affects every game to some degree and never fully goes away. ArcheAge should try to crack down on bots and gold selling, but there's only so much that can be done. Some people are pretty persistent after all.

18. MrMoose

MrMoose Active Member

It is definitely something that happens to ALL MMO's. The best you can do is ignore it in a game like ArcheAge.

19. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think Blizzard finally learned from EVE.... if you can´t beat them, join them. Blizzard is going to start selling game-time tokens which players can sell for gold, basically just legalized gold-selling. ( same thing EVE and wildstar do).

The real problem with goldsellers that most people dont´realize is they mainly get their gold by hacking or phishing other people´s accounts, which then results in a lot of customer service calls.

20. Skilliard

Skilliard New Member

Trion has seriously improved the gold selling issue... they banned so many gold sellers, and I haven't seen much spam lately. The only problem is now they're going overboard and falsely banning people for it. For example if you try to trade a valuable item like a thunderstruck tree with someome, you might get banned or get the gold you traded removed. For now its just best to use the auction house to be safe.