Quantcast

Give Up

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by RolePlayer, Oct 8, 2015.

1. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member Regular

Do you ever give up on an RPG after you play for a certain amount of hours? How long do you think the average amount of time does it take you to quit? Whenever I hit a wall in a game I give it a few days then I'm done.

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I don't know if I've ever fully given up, but I have taken breaks before. Long breaks. Like, months long breaks. But if I get stuck too horribly, I'll usually just look up how to get past the one part that's stumping me.

3. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I try not to give up on a game, unless it's a game I'm not enjoying in anyway. I'll take breaks quite often as I go to play other games, or I just forget about a game for a bit, but I try not to just flat out give up with any specific game.

4. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I have a bad habit of playing a game until completion, even if it pisses me off the more I play just to say I was able to finish it. It also helps when I make reviews and can tear a hole in the game because I know all the details that pissed me off to prove my point against naysayers that tell me I can't criticize the game since I didn't beat it. Finally, I'm stubborn and I have to see things through, unless it gets to the point that I get a headache and need to get away from the game for a bit to cool down.

5. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member Regular

If I'm enjoying the game, I'll try to stick with it. Even if it means doing just a little each day to build up level to progress, etc. But if I'm not having fun, I can let it go.

6. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I'm a completionist, so quitting a game part way annoys me, but there are rare times where I'll just walk away from a game. If the story's stupidly convoluted or if it's bugged as hell then there's no point in torturing myself. Generally I stay away from pre-release or just released hype because generally it leads to disappointment.

7. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I would give the game a try and see how I feel after 10 hours and did that when I played the Risen game and did not like the character looks and also saving was done by the game and too many bugs in the game, to really enjoy it and was a game that could of done better if more time went into development in certain places in the game. The game Two worlds 2 had a similar look as well and was alright for the first few hours then got boring, and was not something you would feel like carrying on and that is one thing I try and see in a game what you have to do and is it easy or just a waste of your time and energy to do the tasks. I think when a game is being made the developers need to test it out and not rush a game as that does show when a game is released and that is what happened in the Reckoning game it had some good areas and the other parts were not that good and the company shut down as it did not profit them.

8. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

Not really. If I wont enjoy the game I just quit it immediately. No sense in wasting time on something I don't enjoy.

9. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

When I was younger and played RPGs on the Gameube I would all the time. When it got too hard my younger self would just get pissed and take really really long breaks.

10. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member Regular

I don't call it "giving up," I call it "taking a break." I take a break, and come back. Sometimes, I try another character, or take a different approach to whatever I'm stuck on. I mean, I set Diablo III (original, no expansions) off to the side for awhile-- like well over a year. I just finished it yesterday.

11. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

If there's absolutely nothing I can do to overcome an obstacle in an RPG, I'd look up a guide first before giving up.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I always quit games since I ought to get bored of them, but I wouldn't quit after I hit a wall in the game. Every game has its hard parts and its easier parts, it's part of the game. The best feeling is when you get through a difficult phase.

13. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

The only time I quite playing a game was Skyrim believe it or not. I was going everywhere and doing everything (like you do in RPG games), but then my hard drive died along with my save file. Realizing that I'll have to do again dozens upon dozens of gameplay was too much for me. Took me a good year before I was able to go back and re-play the game.

14. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

I only give up when I get bored or the game is no good, and it looks like I'm not the only one in this thread. I take incredibly difficult areas as an extra challenge, and will do my damndest to push ahead anyway. I do have several RPGs that I've just plain dropped because they weren't that good, however - the first one that jumps to mind is Citizens of Earth, because it was repetitive and glitchy. Hard to excel in a game when it crashes on you and forces you to replay large sections of bland areas.

15. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

Same here, I just throw the towel when it's no fun anymore (what would be the point of playing it then?). Remainds me of that goddamn 7th Saga (SNES), where your rivals were incredibly tough, the monsters leveled up at the same pace or more than your character, insanely difficult, but fun.

16. coolyfrost

coolyfrost Well-Known Member Regular

I don't know why, but there are some RPGs that just don't stick to me even though I'd think I would like them. The biggest example that comes to mind is The Witcher 3. It got awesome reviews and I enjoyed it immensely for the very little time I played it, however I never felt the compulsion to finish it. The same thing happened with The Witcher 2 as well.

17. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

The first RPG I ever gave up on was 7th Saga

[​IMG]

This game was ridiculous. It was so provoking and stressful I just threw it away and never looked back! Anyone ever tried this one?

18. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member Regular

I rarely truly give up on an rp, until I beat it and it just bores me with the post game.

19. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member Regular

Not really, I can play them as long as I want, especially if I am not occupied in doing any other activities.

20. Sweeriebanana

Sweeriebanana Active Member Regular

Giving up is easy. I normally take a break from the game after playing and losing after playing a couple of times. I tend to relax and take a break from the game. Sometimes I even go to bed and try the next day. I find it so interesting when I don't win the game according to my expectations.

Never give up. It's never that serious. It's just a game. Please don't also get angry when you lose, you can always try to win someother time. Don't be frustrated by losing.