Gas mask pia is end for me

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by Doctahg, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Doctahg

Doctahg New Member

Probably the only one but I was enjoying the game until my mask failed and there were none to replace it with. Starting the level over and over is just the surest way to get me to quit any game. No matter how many I kill none have a useable gas mask for me, so I die, restart, get pissed, and waste hours of time. Not fun, stupid, not necessary. So much for what I thought was a great game. The filters are a pain, and stupid too, but I get those. Not having masks despite EVERYONE having one is like I said.

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

I'm sorry you find the game so difficult. I never had any problem with broken masks in the game; I always took new masks whenever I'd find any, even if my mask was just a little bit damaged, so I'd be sure that it could last as long as possible. I guess you're right that it should be possible to take enemies' gas masks, but that wouldn't make it much of a challenge, would it? :p

If you're still "stuck" because you can't find a new gasmask, I highly recommend you to revert to a previous save and search around for a new gasmask and then work your way back to where you were before, because after all, it is such a great game that it's worth to revert to an older save. Perhaps you should adjust to an easier difficulty setting, if that's necessary.

3. Doctahg

Doctahg New Member

The game isn't difficult at all. The tediousness of hunting down these masks and filters ruins it for me. I just bypassed most of the nazis and ran through till the end so I finished the chapter...then the game. But now in last light..same deal..near the airplane after escaping. I can find one filter..55 secs worth, w high gets me nowhere. It is wasting the 1hour I,have already that pisses me off....

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree that neither of the games is particularly difficult, but I don't remember ever having any problems with filters or gas masks. As long as you explore and do things at a decent pace, you shouldn't have any issues - same goes for ammo. Then again, people have different playstyles.

5. Commissar_Jimbo

Commissar_Jimbo Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are suffer(cat)ing on the difficulty setting :3

6. Thane

Thane Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. I actually ran out on my 4th play through and couldn't progress. Because of that, i used a cheat program for LL and disabled the degradation of filters. That way i could spend all the time i wanted staring at the exterior landscapes and imagining what it would really feel like to be in that dangerous, but hauntingly beautiful landscapes. I actually think this is more realistic this way, because filter really take a long time to wear out unless you're doing something very very dusty and in my opinion the air outside would be clean and so the masks would likely last for years.

This was a long time ago, not sure if any are still available, but im sure there are some around somewhere.

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

That's interesting, you really think the radiation would have gone away after those 20 years?

8. Thane

Thane Well-Known Member

Hi, IMO, i think the radiation would be in particulate matter, like metal and maybe dirt? Not sure about dirt/dust. Its not that i think a mask wouldn't be helpful, because dust carries in the wind, but i feel that a standard mask would be effective for months or even years on end in normal windy situations because your just trying to prevent radiation carrying debree from entering your lungs, not radiation itself. This is from my painting experience where we use different masks for long periods of time in normal use. In a tornado the mask would fill up much faster from all the debree coming in and all of a sudden air might be pulled in from the sides of the mask more easily, but just in normal windy Metro 2033, the wind would likely have carried dust and dirt away to its settling place by now. I also think cloth covering your face would probably be fine.

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

Very interesting theory! :) I like it, it sounds logical, but there's just one thing though; do you have any scientific theory or evidence that can confirm that the radiation would be gone after 20 years? It sure is a long time for radiation to stay in the air, I agree about that, but we don't have any specific knowledge about radiation whatsoever though. I'd love to hear it if you have any :)

If I were to guess, I'd guess too that the radiation would be more or less gone after 20 years, but it was after all several large nukes, they probably destroyed half the earth. I can remember being told that humanity possesses enough nuclear bombs to whipe out human existance 20 times over or something, the whole planet could have been bombed for all we know. -That reminds me of that live moving map of where the bombs struck in the story in 2013, have you seen that? I can't remember if it was actual lore or if it was just a curiosity.

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I think that was just marketing for Last Light, not part of the canon (there was an official statement about it somewhere, possibly reposted by someone here on the forum at some point, but I can't say for sure).

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up :) But my statement still stands none the less!

12. Thane

Thane Well-Known Member

I only think the radiation would be gone from the atmosphere, but honestly i don't know. I just think gravity would eventually bring all the dust down within a year or so. Dust carries from Africa to the eastern USA, so it would be up there for a long time im sure. But even if there still was irradiated dust in the air, i still think even a simple dust mask would last for years or decades.

That said, i don't get anything out of the mask/filer gameplay. I get more out of walking along slowly outside letting myself believe its all real.

13. Commissar_Jimbo

I reckon radiation would still be a huge threat twenty-years on.

14. Commissar_Jimbo

15. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

There's a book that I picked up last year called THE COLD AND THE DARK: THE WORLD AFTER NUCLEAR WAR. I have yet to read through it, but, I remember cracking it open and seeing some of its contents. While the entire scenario is complete theory, it was apparently conjured up by "supreme scientist from around the world;" so the theories presented in the text should be somewhat accurate. I do remember the book mentioning something about the amount of time radiation particles should remain suspended, in the air, but I don't recall the exact duration. Sorry fellas. I'll look into it and post back.

The book may be an interesting read; especially since it'll run alongside the line, of Metro 2033, due to the fact that it's written with nuclear winter as the topic.