Gaming. Desktop vs Laptop.

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by William Quah, Mar 9, 2014.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I wouldn't really say that. Of course, a laptop will never come close to the power of a gaming PC, but MSI and Asus have been doing a great job in bringing awesome gaming laptops. MSI even fit a desktop CPU in one.

2. DeathXXXXGun

DeathXXXXGun Member
    Regular

The reason you would see more people playing on laptops rather than PC's is because laptops are more.. accessible in more places. You generally don't bring your pc tower and monitor to the library...

However, if this were not a problem then I would have to say Tower over Laptop. The size of a tower is much more than just... big. It holds a hold more CPU, RAM, and other important pieces of hardware that EVERY MODERN gamer needs! It is customize friendly as well haha

-DeathXGun

3. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not really talking about power here.Gaming laptops can be pretty powerful, but :
    - better ones are very expensive, and in comparison with desktop systems you end up either paying much more for a similar amount of power, or slightly more for less power.
    - heat reasons,they can die pretty quickly
    - being heavier and with less battery life than other laptops can lower portability which defeats the purpose

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree. I don't think heat is an issue since the best gaming laptops don't heat up that much, and while the portability is lower the laptop is still portable enough to bring it with you anywhere you want. Of course, it's heavier and not comfortable to carry around but you can still plug it in a library or coffee house.

5. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

The power and heat issues in a gaming laptop are easily mitigated. I don't see why that would be an obstacle to using or owning one so long as you know how to use and care for your computer correctly.

6. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Member
    Regular

I prefer my laptop over a desktop due to its portability and I have to admit, it is comparable. I have heard from friends that the desktop is better due to its ability to be upgraded for game requirements whereas, a laptop isn't usually easy to upgrade if you can even do it to begin with. I have an HP Envy that has suited me just fine in the world of online gaming and is pretty beast to be honest, but my dream tech would be an Alienware any day of the week.

7. midorisour

midorisour Active Member
    Regular

A Gaming laptop would be nice for portability but laptops in general get hot. Well at least mine do. It gets really hot when playing Guild Wars. So I usually stick to gaming on my desktop over the laptop.

Plus you can get a pretty awesome desktop for cheaper then all the same features in a laptop.

So pretty much my choice would be gaming desktop.

8. galactica

galactica Member
    Regular

Gaming laptops are usually unattractive and cumbersome. I prefer a desktop, even if there were no benefits other than aesthetic. Other factors such as cost (gaming laptops are a lot more expensive for the specs), heat issues, needing extra peripherals, and poor battery life makes gaming on laptops less-than-ideal. If portability was an issue (traveling, moving for jobs), I'd just go with a mini-ATX and monitor that I can fit in a backpack.

9. Player7

Player7 Active Member
    Regular

For many reasons I would've prefered a laptop due to mobility and being able to play anywhere. However some time I go a friend bought an Alienware Area 51 desktop and I found it looked amazing plus he could carry it anywhere if he was to play at a friends house. This was a mindset changer for me and now I prefer desktops because they can really hold the most power. I'm aware this difference won't last for long because as technology advances even laptops will get better parts, which means more space and better performance.

10. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like gaming laptops. But, I still connect my laptop to my big screen tv and play, because that's where all the fun is. The bigger the screen the better. However, I have not found any use for a desktop since 2005.

11. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member
    Regular

The graphic card in the Area 51 is honestly not very good (first gen at least, I haven't been keeping up with it). What excited me now is the new Razer ultrabook, if it actually does what it says. Imagine an ultrabook for portability and light gaming, and when you get home, just plug in an external graphic card. Best of both worlds!

12. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice
    Regular

Desktop, all the way. Not only are laptops inherently less powerful than desktop, the inability to customize and update your laptop easily as hardware gets better and better makes a desktop computer a much more worthy investment. Though if you do get a gaming desktop, it's always best(and cheaper) to simply build your own.

13. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer gaming on my laptop. The simple reason why I'd go for a laptop over the desktop as far as gaming is concern is I can easily go with my laptop to any where I feel more comfortable to play the game.

14. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd personally would go with the laptop. It is much lighter and a lot more portable.

15. fishbate

fishbate Well-Known Member
    Regular

When it comes to flexibility i go for a laptop, the fact that you can bring it anywhere is a thing to consider. Playing is almost a day to day activity. And if you don't wanna miss a game, then go for a laptop. When it comes to personalizing your hardware, a desktop is the most efficient way. You can hardware upgrades on your own. Your choice your specification:).