Gamepad or keyboard?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by brokesword, Jun 8, 2013.

1. brokesword

brokesword Member

I play better with a mouse and keyboard, but in a pinch I can use a gamepad as well. I never really understood the appeal of the analogue stick when I can get much better control with a mouse.

2. andy103

andy103 Active Member

I feel like Guild Wars is one of those games that is just easier to play with a keyboard and mouse. Personally that's how I play because it seems so much easier.

3. Game

Game Member

I actually can't imagine playing GW2 with anything but a keyboard and a mouse, there are so many different mechanics at play that I wouldn't want even one skill to be left unattended. But it's all a matter of habit in the end, I guess.
    One thing that was hard on me when I began playing was the dodging mechanic, you have to time it just right to avoid damage. Maybe that would be easier to control on a gamepad since pressing the movement key twice isn't quite fast enough at times.

4. agzander

agzander Member

I personally cannot see myself really playing gw2 with a gamepad. It's the type of mmorpg that just really seems very based off keyboard based controls. So I personally don't see myself comfortable playing with something else. But I imagine there's somebody out there who prefers the gamepad.

5. NatureSun

NatureSun Well-Known Member

I definitely feel more comfortable with keyboard and mouse, for any MMO for that matter.

Controllers always fall shot in such games.

6. bknight

bknight Active Member

For any MMO I would think a small keyboard with a 5 key mouse is more than enough, I've used lots of key bindings in my MMO experience and through mixing mouse with the keyboard I've had more than enough to do everything I needed.

7. jcairns82

jcairns82 Active Member

The keyboard and mouse are a must for gaming. It's no longer the 80's where using a gamepad with a computer was a novelty. These days, developers are anticipating that the majority of their gamers have a keyboard and mouse and work their games towards this.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Keyboard + mouse is pretty much as good as it gets. To be honest I'm not comfortable playing with anything else for the time being.

9. xXPandosXx

xXPandosXx Well-Known Member

I could never imagine myself playing with a gamepad. I'm a keyboard/mouse kind of person, I'm used to it and it works really well, so why change it?

10. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I prefer using a gamepad when I use a keyboard and mouse I always press the wrong buttons it gets annoying.

11. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Well-Known Member

I can't imagine using a gamepad when playing. I just feel like everything's laid out on a keyboard and I'd get too confused with what I do with a gamepad on my console. I know I'd keep pressing the wrong things.

12. alxsnow

alxsnow Active Member

Keyboard and Mouse. A gamepad for me would feel way to unnatural. I currently use a G110 series logitech keyboard and the steel series sensei. Both K&M allow me to handle my macros rather well.

13. Orz

Orz Well-Known Member

Keyboard + Mouse combination always wins, against gamepads/controllers, you name it. I've tried my friends gamepad but just couldn't get used to it, its really no substitute. That said if you're playing in a VERY VERY enclosed space it might be a better option than a keyboard.

14. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

I use a Das Model S Professional and I think its the best thing ever. Cherry MX blues, solid construction and quality. It doesn't have any of those silly lights, worthless readouts, and unnecessary buttons. Quality of construction and key feel trumps all, and the Das has it in spades.

15. Lodismel

Lodismel Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you could play this game using a gamepad. It just wouldn't make much sense. I feel like you would be severely limiting yourself. There aren't that many skills, but even so it wouldn't work very well I think.

16. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with you. I cannot imagine playing Guild Wars 2 with a controller. The way you must be attentive and dodge at the right moments and all. I don`t think I could do it with a gamepad. I cannot really imagine playing any MMORPG with a gamepad, much less GW.

17. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

Keyboard for me. More buttons/keys usually means more things that you can control, but well, it may be hard if a game require too much button >_> I used to think that I can play every game ever if I got some sort of "universal keyboard". Why do you need other controllers when you got one with 100+ keys or buttons? Of course there's always the fun factor with controllers for gaming console......

18. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

For every MMO, I think that a mouse and keyboard work best. There are a lot of stuff on screen that needs buttons and gamepads don't offer that many. Also, the game needs quick reaction so I don't think playing with a gamepad is very effective.

19. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

MMORPG's are generally horrid to play on a gamepad in my opinion. If you think you can pull it off then go ahead I guess.

20. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

It's not that hard setting up the controls to work properly are key in other MMO's I have used it quite often with success and people can't even tell that I use a controller the only thing that a game pad is not good for is PvP it can be pulled off, but I would prefer to use a K&M then.