Quantcast

Game World Realism

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by tinybutnotfangless, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

Why play a game that is totally ´real´ when real life is totally real. Now, I don´t want a game where you can kill kids or do stupid pscyhopath stuff just because people do it in real life. Games are meant to be entertaining, not to be realistic.

2. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

I prefer games to have a certain amount of fantasy, or a lack of realism. The closest I want to realism is the Sims. It's goofy, and things happen in it that wouldn't really happen in real life. So, yeah. I much prefer the games not to resemble real life at all.

3. Obi

Obi Well-Known Member

I'd rather they didn't censor their games but it doesn't bother me that much because I try not to think about he material that's missing I've basically forgotten what a child looks like because in games with murder they're often not included at all, but I don't mind too much because the game is already really detailed.

4. I believe censorship in any form is wrong.

5. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member Regular

As long as proper filters are in place, and the individuals playing the games are at a mature enough level to play them there shouldn't be any kind of restrictions or filters. Soon when games start becoming just as realistic as reality, is when the real fun starts with gaming and virtual reality and I personally can't wait. To restrict that experience would just be ridiculous.

6. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

It's a game, and we are adults. We want it to be as realistic as possible that's what makes it so amazing, I do not want anything to be censored or changed to not be as realistic if it is brutal or gory. Give me this that I'm asking for and I'll gladly buy your games.

7. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

It depends on the game? I don't support censorship, also we HAVE a rating system in place, so the chance of kids playing R-rated games is some what low. If the game is meant to be gory, let it be gory. If a game has a lot of political themes in it(*cough*Dreamfall:Chapters*cough*) then let it have those political themes! Bioshock Infinte was pretty fucking gory and it had a shit ton of political and race relation themes, and it was Game of the Year.

8. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

The argument of "games are art" starts to fall apart as soon as morally questionable actions become commonplace for the player over the course of the game. Art is a form of expression, and some forms of expression can be dangerous or morally questionable. The just course of action is to silence dangerous expression that hampers forward progress of society. Games are more about entertainment than art. And honestly, if someone needs to kill children or have absolute freedom to cause destruction to be entertained, I question their mental state.

Censorship is entirely warranted when one considers that what is and is not censored is determined by the social climate of the time in which the censorship takes place. It's trivial exercise a historian's fallacy and decry censorship as unjust out of context, and it seems a lot of people are trying to paint gaming as important as say political discourse or other actually valuable forms of expression. Censorship of gaming does nothing to harm one's enjoyment.

The point of critique and censorship of gaming is to make it more inclusive to those who might otherwise be excluded for one reason or another. Yet some have taken any form of censorship or silencing of dangerous opinions or actions as a violation of some natural form of law. It echoes the warped notion of freedom of speech that many seem to have today. They view any form of expression as sacred and are incapable of seeing it's flaws. And lets be honest, gaming's biggest flaw in the context we're discussing is it's often offensive and exclusionary content. Freedom of expression is not absolute, nor should it be. The opinions of a bigot should not be given credence, so why turn a blind eye to offensive and exclusionary forms of expression in gaming?

There absolutely should be limits to what things can take place in a game. Both from a technical and moral perspective. No one wants to wade through endless hours of monotony to reach actual gameplay because of the drudgery of a world that is too realistic. And no one wants to be senselessly beaten over the head with extreme and gratuitous violence. Imagine a game made about the current war in Syria where you had to play a doctor amputating bombing victims. That's something no one would have fun doing. At some point it becomes too real. We play games as an escape, not to be faced with the horrible reality of our civilization.