Future of Gaming

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by StoneScroll, Aug 22, 2013.

1. StoneScroll

StoneScroll Member

[​IMG]
    Gaming is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. This means that Billions & Billions are spent each year on games, subscriptions, accessories, consoles, upgrades, in-game purchases, sound equipment and more.

I wonder when I look at the advanced of video cards, and graphics on PC's, XBox's, Playstations, if the graphics and ease of use of games has kept pace with the billions of dollars that have been spent on gaming in the last 50-100 years. With the billions of dollars spent on games, are the graphics good enough? Could they be better?

The future of gaming is going towards technologies like virtual and augmented reality consoles, and other ways to further immerse our minds and bodies into the gaming environment. The games of the future will be much more personal, causing our minds and emotions to be tied to the gaming experience. We think we have good graphics and consoles now, but in the future things could become very different.

Many new technologies are being researched and developed including NeuroGaming
    in which the body and mind will meet to play games. This new technology will rely heavily on things such as augmented and virtual reality. Some say that the Google Glass project will be a good foundation to start on.

[​IMG]

Other Technologies that will work for gaming in the future are things like Secondary Screens for Gaming. The big three game makers, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are working on ways secondary devices such as the Wii U GamePad, Microsoft's SmartGlass, and Sony's Cross-Play, a handheld device and even Apple's iPad products.

Cloud Gaming will also play a role in a future dominated by everything being in the cloud. Accessibility of games will be more easy than ever before in history. No need to wait for game updates, as the Cloud will instantaneously do that. The Cloud could fundamentally change the way gaming is done. How do you see the gaming world evolving?

Where do you see the gaming industry going into the future? The Billion of dollars that are being invested and spent will be creating some truly innovative technologies. Do you think that the above technology will vastly improve the gaming experience in your life?

2. NatureSun

NatureSun Well-Known Member

Oculus Rift is definitely a very interesting concept and I was surprised at the price they're apparently going to sell it at.

300$ for it would definitely be worth it. Atleast for a starting price. I'm sure it would go down if it actually sells and is profitable.

However, if these technologies will work in the real world along with PCs and consoles and play all the games which we own, then only will this take off. Without that I don't see a big future for it.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the future of gaming is more about the transition of pc/consoles -> mobile.
    I see games being something that you don't even pay too much attention to while playing... they will become a normal part of your life.

4. bknight

bknight Active Member

I've seen those type of glasses during the PS2 announcement a few years ago now, there was something like it around at the time, of course it shouldn't be as evolved as it is right now but that's natural due to the evolution of technology, but this concept is pretty good and if comes at a reasonable price, I might even be grabbing a pair.

5. Eltharion

Eltharion Member

I've been following Oculus Rift for the last 2 years and I'm so excited for the project. I read a review where the developers had to put warnings in a FPS because people were actually crouching and dodging and someone fell down a stair. The whole concept of it measuring your head movements so when you look around you look around your virtual world blows my mind. Its a definitive purchase for me.

6. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I guess Google glass will be pioneering this kind of tech but I think it will be a long time before this becomes the standard for gaming. After all, the "screen & controller" method of gaming has been the way to game for about 25 years.

7. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Active Member

What the future of gaming is about? Remember the holodeck in Star Trek? That#s the future.

Another possibility is some game in your mind. You turn it on and everything is simulated in your head so nothing exterior like a holodeck is needed.

8. casiolol

casiolol Well-Known Member

This is the most interesting topic that I've read about in a while. I think Virtual Reality helmets will be very popular over the next decade. I read that Sony is working on one. Oculus Rift was a disappointment according to the people that I've met who have played it. Virtual Boy by Nintendo was also a VR system that disappointed. I think augmented reality games will become popular for the next 5 years or so but there are only so many game styles that work well with augmented reality techonology (see faceraiders for 3ds).

9. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Active Member

Virtual Boy was an early try. A bad early try. I don't think that we will use virtual reality helmets in the future. It will all be in your mind.

10. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Personally I am not to keen on putting things on my face it could be really hard on the eyes and I defiantly don't want to mess up my vision.

11. TheViper

TheViper Well-Known Member

The concept is fairly cool and it may do initially well. Though, this type of technology is only a gimmick for most.

We want games with a great plot that is enjoyable to play. The realism aspect is always nice but what is the point of a beautiful graphics system. When the plot of the game is just horrible to the point of you not wanted to play?

12. erronousRogue

erronousRogue Active Member

Pretty much. Although it's also worth noting that "realism" can add a lot to the game's immersion. If you feel more involved in the story, you're also more likely to enjoy it. Once things like full body VR suits or huge simulators become available, we'll have games where you can actually look around yourself and immerse yourself in the atmosphere, helping a lot in how you perceive the story itself.

13. John Edison

John Edison Active Member

I can't honestly say where the future of gaming is going. A lot of people are saying that gaming is heading towards mobile games. I think consoles are still going pretty strong. I've been hearing a lot about NeroGaming, and I honestly I am not that excited about it. We can produce some pretty awesome technology, but that doesn't mean the average consumer is going to take onto it.

I think about 3D movies as a relevant example. I hate them. Sure, it might seem very futuristic in concept, but I will pick the regular 2D movies 10 times out of 10.

I think that we are going to see some pretty awesome games in the next few years. I don't think that consumers will really take onto NeroGaming. I could be wrong (I didn't think the Wii would do very well either). To me, nothing beats the feel of a controller.

14. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

I don't think VR gaming will take off anytime soon, instead we're going to see console and PC games with better and more realistic game engines, allowing you to do a wide variety of actions, and creating a fully interactive world around you.

15. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

The standard for gaming will definitely become either highly realistic virtual reality consoles, or more and more handheld mobile entertainment. And I assume this is going to be within our lifetime, seeing as just how rapidly technology is evolving, the graphics are already what you wouldn't imagine ten years ago, so can we really truly imagine how things will be 10 years from now?

16. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

VR will definitely be a huge part of the future and next step in gaming. I think they will learn to make a cheap version that everyone can afford.

17. RMCMage

It will take awhile for it to become cheap I would think considering it is going to cost a lot of money for one of them to work properly I would think.

18. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member
    Regular

I tested an Oculus Rift 1080 prototype at PAX last year and I was blown away. It is definitely the future of gaming as it really provided a realistic virtual experience I have never seen before. The potential for this product if it remains affordable is amazing.

19. RMCMage

I didn't even know what that is I had to google it.

20. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member
    Regular

The gist of it is that it is a virtual reality headset that was crowdfunded to get its start and it has been gaining gradual popularity over the past three or so years as they develop it. It is one of the first VR headsets to actually deliver an experience that one could call life-like while all the ones of the past have failed to do that.

The headset supports motion tracking, so moving your head in real life will move the characters head in the game as well.