fun with flamethrowers

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by TotalAaron, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Certainly not during World War II. German technology reigned supreme over us, which was prevalent in weapon systems such as the MG-42, ME-262, and th Tiger 2. American soldiers had to undergo psychological training before battle against MG-42s, because they'd never heard a gun fire that fast before..

As for tanks today, I'm fairly positive the Russians have a tank that is on par with the M1 Abrams. (EDIT: The T-90 was the tank I was thinking of. It's diesel!)

#21 Pip314, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

I don't mind stationary flamethrowers once maybe twice in the game but if it's every other level and if there is a portable flamethrower I'm going to break the disc.

3. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

I'd argue that the Russian tanks are in many ways superior to the American Abrams, especially with the Russians new T-90ms...

4. Heavygunner

Heavygunner Well-Known Member
    Regular

Leopard 2A6 Destroys everything <3
    :D

5. Aaron

Regular

Agreed!

Only because us Canadians use them!

6. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

WAIT! You guys are arguing about nationality and tanks now?? INTO ZEE CORNER!

7. Aaron

Regular

8. Heavygunner

Regular

Nope, because it is German and German Tanks are Awesome:D (Tiger ^^)

9. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Mmm, really wouldn't mind a flamethrower section of the game. But one that you can use at any time? No thanks.. Artyom doesn't have time to carry all dat stuff, imo.

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree and disagree at the same time. German weapons were valued for their novelty, power, accuracy and they really were some of the best of their time. However, Russian weapons were much more durable and sometimes just as powerful. The extremely fast firing rate of the Pepesha made it the most powerful SMG of WWII. Furthermore, you can still find Pepeshas, Mosin Nagants or Tokarevs that were used during World War II and can be fired without any problem even today, but finding an MP 40 from the time period that requires no restoration work to function is a bit more difficult.

So I guess it depends on how you look at it. The German weapons generally had better accuracy and sometimes were more powerful, but the Russian guns were cheaper & easier to produce - usually did their job just as well as German weaponry - and they were extremely durable. However, I can certainly agree that the MG 42 had no equal in its class.

11. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

What's funny is how WW2 was fought with SMGs.

12. Aaron

Regular

Well, depends who and what situation you're talking about...

13. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

modern= ive been in a t90 on a field trip the fuel lines are on the door so its a very big deathtrap. the M1 is outdated not M60 patton outdated but you know what i mean so i go with the Leapord (spelling unsure) 2

WW2= yes Tiggers where good but people forget that the germans had there own version of the T30 (the medium tank) the panther

14. Aaron

Regular

I love tanks! Especially ones from Nazi Germany.
    I've built many models of them in my spare time, like a Marder ii, PziV and King tiger!

... And a Churchill l... And a Sherman 75mm... And a T-72m1...

Anyway, I plan on building at least; a T-34-85, Jagdtiger, Panther G, B1 Bis, Panzer Vi, Chi-To and a KV-1. After that I might think of some more modern ones like a Leopard 2a6, Leclerc or something...

15. TotalAaron

thats it i meant a T34 in my comment thaks other Aaron

16. Aaron

Regular

You don't have to make a new post to edit something. Just hit the "Edit" button on the bottom of the post.

17. TotalAaron

Thanks for the advice :). after looking up a documentary The world at war it mentions a flamethrower that was attached to a T34 carriage. because german tanks could hold their own against anything the ruskies threw at them they where taught to drive there tank over a tiger for example immobileise it then let rip with a flamethrower but to get that close it could only be done in urban area and even then it was at considerable loss

18. Heavygunner

Regular

Do you play world of Tanks?
    http://worldoftanks.eu/

19. Aaron

Regular

Why yes, I do!

As for tanks only ramming In urban environments that statement isn't entirely true. Take operation Citadel For example (more specifically the battle of Kursk). It was a fairly common sight to see Russian T-34's ramming the German panzers to render them useless and Kursk was almost entirely open field. Tanks ramming has happened plenty of times, both purposeful and accidental. From the western front to the eastern front. It all depends on the situation. If tanks are caught in the heat of battle and lack infantry support to notify them of an approaching tank then it can easily be snuck up on.

Take this for example. An excellent example of how vital infantry support is to tanks.

... Welp, I can't get it to work but whatever. If you type it in I'm sure youll find it... Here>http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...dTNlcUzBr_oCh4H21qvZoqg&bvm=bv.43287494,d.b2I

#39 Aaron, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  20. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I can testify to this, as I recently did a bit of research on the subject. The russian tank crews did however view this as a sort of last resort, if they were on fire, out of ammo or in some other way disabled.