From The Start, What Did You Do?

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas' started by troutski, Jul 16, 2015.

1. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

When I played NV for the first time, i went through the beginning of the game's first couple missions that get you started. Then it gives you a mission to head out of that first starter area, and instead of doing that I immediately went the other direction to go explore. How about you? Did you proceed through the story or go make your own adventure from the start?

2. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I ran around exploring the area and stealing everything I could get my hands on that looked valuable. My character may have been shot in the head and suffering slight amnesia, but she still retains her klepto tendencies.

3. stardustcrusader

stardustcrusader New Member

I definitely went exploring the first chance I got, ran into a horde of geckos I totally wasn't prepared for though haha.
    Exploring in games is the most fun things about games for me, and the desert is so, sooo big! Theres plenty of stuff to find in there.

4. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I did the first main quests but after I talk to people they started to give me quests so I did them first and I eventually forgot to do the Main quests.

5. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well I had two run throughs, the good protagonist and the Evil fuck around adventurer. The first time I played I did everything by the book and followed the wain mission with no real evil involved. Then the second time, oh the second time I killed every thing in site and just did whatever the fuck I wanted to do, it was great.

6. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Member

I went the way I was led. I did not think to go the other way. Sometimes these new style of gaming can be a bit confusing. In the 1980s when games first came out, it was a bit more straight forward and players only had limited options. I like the way things have improved, but they are still a bit confusing for an old timer like me.

7. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member
    Regular

I did the introductory missions so I could get some XP. I then explored but didn't see the signs (there are literally signs that tell you to beware, that I only saw in my second playthrough) and went in a Deathclaw area (Quarry Junction I think?).

I of course got killed promptly.

In general I explored as much as I could but I followed the main story at the same time. In my second playthrough I play much more freely as I want to see things I've missed.

8. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Man, you should NEVER go near Deathclaws when you start the game and if you do see one, haul ass (it won't save you but, effort). You should only come back after you find a toy car, some tubing spare parts and a poison gland from a radscorpion or something similar and channel your inner MacGuyver to create a gun out of it.

9. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member
    Regular

I explored Goodsprings quite a bit, visited every visitable house and got some of the side-quests I could. I played on Hardcore so that extra exp was really useful for me.

Luckily I did not visit the Deathclaw arena until later in the game, although on hardcore that didn't do me much good as they had their way with me anyways...

10. Tanis

Tanis Active Member
    Regular

My first New Vegas character went up the west side of the map because I wanted to ignore the main quest and explore. Hello Cazadores at level 3. Bad plan. That part of New Vegas annoyed me because it railroaded you onto the main quest for quite a while and the beginning of the game feels worse as a result.

I did discover a love for Small Guns on the way, though. And sneak attacks.

11. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I generally get to the strip, then deviate from there and make my own story. In terms of weapons I only use revolvers and pistols, rather than larger weaponry. I'm with Tanis though, sneak attacks are so fun!

12. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

By mistake I reached New Vegas in the first few hours of the game, and talked to Mr House and discovered everything about the story and about the guy who shot me in the beginning. I was very confused because there was too much to understand. After I hung out in New Vegas a bit I came back to do everything else because I thought I wasn't supposed to be there yet, ahahha. But I love that you can do that, absolutely.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I did the starter missions just for the sake of it then I went to go exploring. I didn't go to my first mission, the same as you did.

14. Matthew Fritsche

Matthew Fritsche New Member

I immediately went exploring just because I've played previous fallout games before. But I also like to collect as much as possible to start off so I feel ahead of the game when I go on missions.

15. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Member

I shot everybody in Goodsprings, looted the town, and did all the NCR missions I could before joining the Legion. I murdered all of the NCR stations and troopers, destroyed the robot army like Caeser wanted me to, and killed Mr. House. I then turned on the Legion and wiped them out, and became Dictoratus of the Wasteland. I betrayed everyone, it was hilarious.

16. sunnysideways

sunnysideways Member

The first thing I've always done is drain everyone dry of caps by playing Caravan, so I have a few thousand caps by the time I leave the first few towns. Then when I get to NoVac, I buy out all the Dinky the Dinosaur figurines and leave them in silly places around the wasteland.

17. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member
    Regular

The first time around I stuck with the story line for a while. Once I got to Freeside I did side missions for quite a while. Now that I've played the game a few times I just try to get to benny as quick as I can and off that punk.

18. Nuka-Cola Girl

Nuka-Cola Girl Active Member

I started looting everything and sold junk to Chet to get something other than the jumpsuit. Then I went to Sunny Smiles and did her tutorial quests and helped Goodsprings from Joe Cob and the Powder Gangers. I made my way to Primm and got overpowered at the hotel where the deputy was held hostage. o_O

19. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

I basically just ran around and explored. That's my favorite part of Fallout, exploring.

20. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I did what you did, turned to the other direction and started exploring...until I met a huge Rad-Scorpion whom I could not damage, because I had to weak weapons and got slaughtered. :D