Five years!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

I realized, right now just by coincidence (in a desperate attempt to find out what the heck happened to the bullet system), that today marks the exact day that I have had the pleasure and honor to be part of this forum for five years! :dance: :whoo:

So, that's basically all I wanted to say. Thanks to all of you here, and all of those who aren't here anymore, for five great years. My english has improved significantly, I have learned almost all there is to learn about the metro-universe and even ended up getting the book (which I still haven't read yet :rolleyes:), I have learned a lot of different things about different countries and customs, I have had awesome quality-roleplaying moments through literally thousands of words over several hundred pages, but best of all: I have gotten to know you lovely bunch and have some really good conversations and debates, having someone I could tell about the things I have an interest for.

Honorary mentions (Sorry if I've forgotten someone, I most likely will)(This is not a ranking system or anything, I just write down the first names that come to my mind):

Komodo Saurian
    Bamul
    Nuclear
    Von Streff
    Nodari2033
    Darkbringer
    Aaron Poitras
    Other Aaron ;)
    TheStalker
    Rolfwar
    Cerberus
    Professor Pew (Although his stay was short, it was an honor to have him here, and very helpful at that).
    TheDarknessEnvelops
    And a shout-out to Eru Cozorav for being so eager to breathe some life into this.
    And to Commissar Jimbo, for creating his own little Metro-universe specifically in Gmod, making awesome and unique fan-art that I very much appreciate every single time!

And to all the rest of you who have done everything from chit-chatting, to posting videos of full-out modding of the games.

#1 Skaara Dreadlocks, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2017
  2. Thelastknown

Thelastknown Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G361F met Tapatalk

3. Eru Cozorav

Eru Cozorav Well-Known Member
    Regular

Where's the like button?

Also i just want to herald the time when the great 4agames rise again, so thanks benjie for mentioning me ;)

4. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

wooo, recognition for existing, I couldn't ask for anything more, skaara, and it's been an honour as well

5. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh thanks. Damn, five years. I'm getting old :p

6. Eru Cozorav

Eru Cozorav Well-Known Member
    Regular

so, is this a farewell post ? :(

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

Nope, just sayin' :)

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

It's been a while indeed.

9. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Nice, Skaara! And I know Bamul signed up like a day either before or after you. So congrats to you too, man. Hahaha. I feel the same way, guys. This forum rocks. It has indeed been a great pleasure to be part of this community. You guys are really cool and I have really enjoyed having the type of conversations that we managed to have over the years. I couldn't have wished for a better group of people to share my interest with. Next step is to meet each other on a grand tour of Chernobyl with a tour guide named Yuri :whoo:

10. Thelastknown

Thelastknown Well-Known Member

Chernobyl guide?!

Mind if i step in? :D

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G361F met Tapatalk

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

Man, oh man, that would be something. We should totally do this! :lol:

12. Commissar_Jimbo

Commissar_Jimbo Well-Known Member

Oof- not even a little shout-out? I'm hurt.

13. Skaara Dreadlocks

Like I said, my memory isn't the best and I made the post in more or less of a hurry, but I updated the first post. Check it out, bby :kiss:

14. Commissar_Jimbo

Commissar_Jimbo Well-Known Member

Too late, I am already triggered and crying.

15. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

A toast to this anniversary!

16. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

5 years, eh?

Has it really been that long since I started this journey? I suppose so. My hands are rough now and as cold as the wind that blazes over them without stop. I apologize for my lack of posts lately. I can say this is because of my most recent and ongoing expedition 100% and not for any other reason at all. I'm proud to say I'm the first man to journey to the dark side of Pluto *It's a planet ok* and study it's nature. Those Soviet cosmonauts refuse to go there and I understand why. It's harsh here. The wind is somehow even colder here and the air freezes my lungs even through the suit. Plus the signal is strange and unreliable. But by far the biggest obstacle I face is the black, the complete and utter lack of light, a true void. I have a rover with powerful flood lights and some torches but even these barely pierce the darkness. This is what eats my signal, no, devours it. I know it.

I didn't sleep for the first two weeks. And I didn't want to either but my Chinese "Stay-awake!" brand (Totally FDA approved) space travel caffeine pills finally couldn't keep me up anymore. Every night I would stare into the dark and although I can't confirm, I swear there's something staring back. I was out like a rock the second my head hit the pillow when it all started. At 3:06am (equivalent) the beep of my hand-set radio woke me up. Strange since I hadn't had signal for days, but what really got me was the report saying it was from my rover not 10m away. White noise. I stuck my head out of my tent but on the dark side 10m might as well be the end of the world. So I grab my torch and shine it on the rover, the beam barely reaching. As soon as the light touches it the transmission stops.

"The Soviet cosmonauts! They finally found me!" I think. Grabbing my Chinese "Stay-dead!" laser pistol *Limited run Bruce Lee edition might I add* I run out to the rover through the wind and bust the door open. Empty. Now I'm scared, hopping inside and locking the door I check the rovers radio, still set to commands frequency, like always. "What's going on here? There's no other foot prints here." I ponder. As I think the radio beeps, startling me, its my tents hand-set transmitting. White noise.

I glue my eyes to the rovers window but once again the darkness is complete so I jump out of the rover and shine the light on the tent. The transmission stops. "I'm leaving for higher ground" I think to myself. But before I grab my tent I pull the power on the rovers radio trying to act one step ahead of this anomaly and as I do all the wind that has been with me since the beginning, stops.

I stand motionless for a moment unused to the absence. No wind or sound. Only the void of absolute black.

Nothing else happened for weeks after that night. I made my report to command about the incident and noted that the wind had stopped. "Noted. Continue as scheduled" They said. I continued with my research but I would still spent hours staring into the dark. Sometimes I would bring my torch and wait until it felt like it was right in front of me then shine the light, but nothing.

One silent night the transmission came back again. White noise from my rover. I wasted no time running to the rover, as I neared the rover the transmission stopped as expected but when I threw the doors open I was nearly knocked over by a sudden rush of wind from behind. I turned into the gale but saw nothing. The winds had returned, now of all times, right in this moment? It quickly calmed to the usual speeds from weeks before.

It's been a month since then. The transmissions are still happening more and more often, but I ignore them now. Command says they have no record of these phantom transmissions, that it's interference, maybe the Soviets crossing wave lengths or side effects of the caffeine pills. "My caffeine pills are FDA approved dammit!" I protest. "Continue as scheduled" they say every time. That's not all, I swear there's a third party on the air every time we transmit. It's so faint but I know its there, I know I hear it through the white noise. Again they blame it on this and that. "Continue as scheduled" they say.

That was a long time ago.

Staring into the Black the other day I realized it's been five years.

Five years, eh?

The wind stopped again but I don't remember when it happened. "Command, the wind stopped again. When did that happen? When did the wind stop?"

"Continue as scheduled"

17. Skaara Dreadlocks

.................................................... wat? :lol:

Best entry this forum has ever had! :D Brings me back to our RP days.. You still have it in you ;)
    So, the military has driven you completely mad, or?

18. Aaron

Regular

Idk just felt like writing something as it came into my head. took me about an hour and then it deleted it all as I posted so I had to do it again, just like old times.

As for the army, I love being in it, but we have less funding than a soup kitchen. The way I see everything is like a collection of mental patients in uniform running an empty, rusty circus and taking it super seriously. I cant help but be sarcastic and go insane like everybody else, laughing as we ride the pony-go-round. It's hard to take anything here seriously.

Apart from the crippling funding issues and a complete lack of physical standards though its a living I suppose.

I've been to fort Hood in Texas for training and the difference in our armies is appalling. All the funding and equipment you need and a loving public who cheer you on. They're organized, fit and trained.

But its ours and I'll always love it and rep it no matter what.

These days I just hangout and fix tanks all day everyday, waiting to go abroad anywhere.

19. Skaara Dreadlocks

Ooooh, you fix tanks? :D
    I was called in for duty here the other day and had to go through different tests, and learn about my opportunities in the military. I was qualified and very interested; I could've had the chance to work on military vehicles like HEMTT trucks and tanks, and work as a weapon mechanic, even fixing on a Javelin! :eek:

Buuut in the end I refused, both because of my religion and my current living situation. It kinda sucks to have lost the "opportunity of a lifetime" to do those things and actually go to the military. I was very tempted, after playing almost 500 hours of Arma3. But well, I still stand by my decision, even though it sucks :p

20. Aaron

Regular

Mechanics are treated like royalty here since we rely so heavily on them everyday and there aren't enough to go around. As for weapons tecs. there job sucks mostly, most times they have to check every small arm we have for defects. Hundreds of guns doing the same test over and over. Also they fix our stoves ;)

We fix tanks so much that we're all practically mechanics. The maintainers supervise us and share there wisdom while we do most of the work, although they do the really complicated stuff.