Quantcast

First Fable

Discussion in 'Fable' started by jbeavis100, Dec 25, 2013.

1. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

How good is it? I'm considering picking it up in the current holiday steam sale and I don't really know much about fable other then it's an RPG in the same vein as elder scrolls (right?) and it's highly rated.

2. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

It's a pretty good game. I played it a long time ago so I don't know how well it's aged, but when I played it, it was fun and long. It's not really comparable to Elder Scrolls since it's not exactly open world and more zones separated by loading screens. It has a pretty good story, pretty fun combat, and pretty interesting setting. I think it's worth giving a try.

3. rosacrux

rosacrux Well-Known Member

If you have not played it, get a copy now. It is a really nice game. It is like mixing Dungeons and Dragons with the Legend of Zelda.

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I would say it is worth playing the graphics are not the best, but the story is enjoyable and you should be able to get it extremely cheap I would say it's a must play especially if you enjoyed any of the other Fable games!

5. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

It's not open world? EHHHH I think i'll pass then. I find RPG's without an open world kinda blegh.

SereneAngel88 likes this.
  6. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

It's not really open world but I remember there being a fair lot of freedom.

7. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

Well, the first one (Fable: The Lost Chapters) was the amazin one and it really looks like a smaller brother of Skyrim. The story,gameplay,graphics were amazing (well, graphics for that time :) ), and the game had many ways to play, many quests allow you to take different decisions and so on. Some of this stuff is true for the later games, but to be honest, I really was disappointed by Fable 3. It's not bad, it's just not as great as I expected. Seriously, Skyrim is like what I expected for Fable 3.

8. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it does have quite a few similarities to Skyrim, but one main difference between the two is Fable TCL is less serious and has some humor.

9. camsdad

camsdad Active Member

The first game was kind of a new engine of gaming if I remember correctly. I'd say it's definitely worth checking out if you want to complete your collection, or have a nostalgic gaming experience.

10. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

If you loved Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Morrowind and Oblivion, then stay clear away from Fable. If you love invisible walls, the inability to jump, the inability to hop down an inch and a myriad of anti-RPG elements, then definitely get Fable. I do not know why Lord1027 would compare Fable with Skyrim. They are vastly unlike each other. Fable is more like the little baby of the son's son's son's son's son of Kingdoms of Amalur without the epicness.

The only positive I see from the game is that your choices on how you want to play your character affects the way things turn out over the course of the game. That's the only thing I liked about it. Otherwise, definitely not my cup of juice.

11. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Fable is good, simple as that.

12. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

Fable, unlike it's later games, is truly a gem of the gaming world. It was a beautifully enchanting game for it's time and I suggest it for anyone who likes to choose whether or not their good or evil. As for it not being free roam, I don't know, when I played the game, I could go pretty much wherever I wanted.

13. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Member Regular

I personally loved it. You can go wherever you want from what I remember. I think it depended on where you were in the game, if I am not mistaken. I really liked the whole series. I really couldn't quit playing them.

14. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Right? I'm pretty sure there was a lot of freedom to where you could go most of the game.

I seriously need to replay that game, it's been forever but it truly is a gem. It's sad the sequels couldn't live up to it, but at least Fable 2 was alright I guess... but inferior anyway.

I'm getting so nostalgic...

15. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

You mean Fable The lost Chapters ? It's a pretty decent game but linear and there is very little exploration from what I remember of it, it was also ( highly) disappointing for many because the game was hyped to hell by Molyneux ( as is his tradition) and he ended up not delivering on almost everything he was promising to be in the game.

16. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I get the same feeling, though it's probably because I spoiled myself by playing Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. I like the idea of my character wandering the land and stumbling on mini adventures as well as quests from people on the road. Not to mention just admiring the atmosphere of the game itself (I had fun wandering around a forest during a blizzard in Skyrim).

17. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member Regular

I love love love the Fable series. Personally, the mythology and the game itself is just so unique to me that it honestly can never be replaced in my mind. It's worth the buy, in my opinion :]