Quantcast

Favourite nation/leader?

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by Sad Puppy, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

When I started playing Civ 5 I was disappointed to see my fave in the previous game, India, has lost their super bonus (more efficient workers, yay!), but I liked how more varied were the civilizations. I like Germany/Bismarck for their special ability makes them good conquerors, also Chinese for the same reason and Poland (because free social policy is a good bonus), but my favorite - I'm not original here ;) - is England. +2 ship movement is absolute killer on almost any map, as you get to the new continents quickly and can claim unsettled islands first.

What's you prefered civilization in the game?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  2. McGumbolumbo

McGumbolumbo Member

It's hard for me to choose a civ leader that I like the best. I usually go for a domination victory so I like Atilla, Shaka, Genghis Khan, and Askia. However, if I'm playing the game just to play it with no real goal involved, I usually pick Gandhi. I do this because it's easier to focus on only a few capitals rather than a whole slew of them.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. Sad Puppy

I've almost forgotten about Askia, that chap is one of the most fun leaders to play when you want to win by conquest. His knights without a city attack penalty are quite cool when you're in medieval era. I still prefer Bismarck overall, but Askia definitley has much more badass animation ;)

4. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member Regular

I agree with you. Chap is the most fun leader to play. I agree with your animation fact. It was really Badass.

5. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

My favourite Civilization in CIV5 are the poles. The ability to get a free social policiy when advancing to the next era is what makes it so awesome. It simply gives the opportunity to finish your policy faster and therefore get that bonus quicker. Their special unit also is available around the time where I usually attack, so that is obviously helping me.

However, I do not have a favourite leader, as they do not matter to me as much.

6. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

Any country/nation that can give me a military edge at the start to midway point of the game. I certainly don't like it if your country's special can only be accessed in the modern age, as you wouldn't be able to play it a lot of times, and you would have to crawl through the different time ages with the basic armies. If you get one with a special unit at the start, or at least mid-game, then you can ride the momentum to the modern age, which would mean a definite win for you.

Sad Puppy likes this.
  7. Sad Puppy

That's true, it's cool to produce Panzer or Zeros but there's no advantage of having a unique industrial-age unit when you're getting trampled in the first 'millenium' of the game. I prefer the early accessible special untis for that reason.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I start with Germans in almost every game and I never get bored of them, they have one of the best starting points in my opinion and they evolve quite nicely.

9. DrGeneKaufmanEsq

DrGeneKaufmanEsq Member Regular

Most definitely, the Germans are my favorite domination civ. You get a really quick army early from barbarians and you don't have to pay as much to maintain them. I also kind of like the Mayans for this as you have archers without even having to research a tech, but I usually don't go for domination with them.

In regards my favorite civ, I can't really pick one, but i have a strong preference to all of the South American/Mesoamerican civs. The Incan terrace farms are my FAVORITE UI. Along with that if you build roads on hills they have no maintenance, so that means free money from city connections! Both of these bonuses give them a really good advantage in almost any game. That said they aren't always the funnest Civ to play because of this.

Along with them the Mayans are really fun for a sort of religion/science hybrid with their shrine replacements giving science. Along with that as I said before you get archers immediately and this really helps if you have a nearby civ who is really aggressive, or maybe just has some really good land.

Then theres Brazil and their Brazilwood camps. Not much to say here but when you get the Brazilwood flowing... oh man.

Lastly on my SA/MA civ list are the Aztecs. Now when I play to win they are NOT my favorite civ, but I absolutely love to play them. Their strange domination/cultural victory strategy is really interesting to play. Need to fill out a policy tree? Oh look, there's the Huns and their massive army. It would be a shame if they were to drop off the face of the planet while giving me that sweet, sweet culture bonus for killing enemy units....

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

Mine is Ramesses II, I like the playing the Egyptian civilization. I do think that they made mistake when they made them speak Arabic but then again no one really knows what ancient Egyptian sounded like.

11. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I've always liked India, even if I don't really play as the nation all that much, I can't help but find Ghandi's tendency to nuke other nations and declare war as much as he does to be quite hilarious.

Out of the nations I like playing I've always been a fan of Germany and America.

12. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

Well I do like the free social policy of the Poles, but I just cannot help myself and go with the Americans. I also like the Mayans, and I might be a little different because I do not really focus too much on the advantages of each particular civilization, but I like to go on the feel and the mood that I am in.

13. Beermoney

Beermoney Member Regular

I enjoy playing the Germans because they seem to have more variety and evolution that can result in many combinations. They are also pretty balance which makes the game much more playable and enjoyable.

14. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I like Germans the most because I find it the easiest to use to conquer and also I like all the bells and whistles that come with it. It's just overall very fun and great to use for me but I also like the Chinese when I want to break the routine from time to time.

15. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member Regular

I would have to go with Babylon. The science perks that he offers give me a large tech advantage over other civs, which gives me all sorts of benefits, but mostly for war. I feel like I have the easiest and best time playing as him.

16. Bapsy

Bapsy Member Regular

Out of all of the really cool civilizations that are available, probably my favorite is Greece and playing Alexander the Great. They're my favorite culture. However, there are some other really great ones that feature some excellent historical figures. Such as Hiawatha from the Iroquois, Augustus Ceaser from the Roman Empire, Oda Nobunaga from the Japanese Empire. Those are some of my favorites. I really love the Bushido ability from the Japanese Empire, which allows the units to fight at full strength even though they're damaged.

17. jasonr299x

jasonr299x Active Member Regular

My favorite nation definitely has to be Babylon. The game just becomes so much easier with the tech boost. The free science you get is probably one of the most powerful perks in the game. You can cut out most of the boring early game because of the expedited rate at which you get tech. That's without even considering the 50% increase to the production rate of scientists. I'm all about getting to the fun part of the game as soon as possible, so the entire early game is basically non-existent for Babylon. This faster speed of research in turn helps me get ahead in the game, since I have stronger units and better tech than most of the people I play against.

18. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

Well, when it comes to playing the game I do not really care about which leader I pick but when I really do, I just go for Chinese army, I feel like my tactics and army are way better organized since they're commanded by an Assian guy, do not really remember the name but yes, I really enjoy playing with them.

19. JoshSmith100

JoshSmith100 Active Member Regular

My favorite civilization to play with is Polynesia. I enjoy managing a island nation for trade and protection from military threats.

20. taco

taco Member Regular

I think the Civ that has the most power from its unique abilities is Maria Theresa from the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. The ability to buy off City States that are your ally for only 500 gold is a huge huge advantage. If played properly you can almost not even worry about founding more than a couple cities and just buy the rest of them off already with a nice population and full of buildings.

I try to play different Civs, as each gives a unique game experience. Lately I have been playing as Ramsees, their unique ability is +10% production towards wonders. If you stack this with other wonders, you can get a massive wonder boost. I will found a city near hills or other sources of production and turn that into a production center and build the heck out of wonders there and in my capital. So far this has been a fun strategy that is different than my usual world domination strategy (and for that I usually go with Japan and Oda)