Fallout Shelter - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming' started by SLTE, Sep 2, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

I see there's another thread for Shelter, but I don't want to necro something that's a few months old, so let's start something fresh. What does everyone think of Shelter so far? I've only played it a little bit, mainly because my wife likes to steal the iPad a lot, but it's fun. The graphics are danged good for a mobile game, and it offers a lot of value for something that's free. It also offers an interesting contrast between the cutesy graphics and the reality of the situation, though I suppose Vault Boy has always done that anyway.

2. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've waited for the Android release and downloaded the game. I played it for a day or two. I got bored quickly though. :p I don't know what else they could have done with the game but there's no real incentive to keep playing after a while. It's pretty repetitive but I do revisit it once in a while.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I played it briefly but as @IntrovProc I got bored of the game rather quickly so I uninstalled it. I think it's a good, innovative game but definitely a time-waster (game you play while on the toilet or waiting).

4. pspzombie

pspzombie New Member

For me it is a time waster at best. I had to wait a bit because it came out for IOS first. Finally when the day came I installed it. I started it and was impressed by the graphic and then I started to play it. What a let down, it is super repetitive. I uninstalled it until I found a modded .apk so it's a little better because I have infinite resources.

5. Freddymac1

Freddymac1 Member

I enjoy my time-waster games, but Fallout Shelter really didn't catch me.

The grind of it is ridiculous, you wait hours for minor things to happen, and you quickly realise there's only around 4 things to actually do. Build a new room, roll dice for room acceleration, equip equipment and move people around.

That's it. They is no complex systems to master, no mini-games. Pointless. I'd rather play Tap Tap Infinity, it at least has a feedback loop.

#5 Freddymac1, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  6. ilivetofly

ilivetofly Member
    Regular

To be honest I love Fallout Shelter. I was really happy that they paired the release with the announcement for the new Fallout game, a great business practice from Bethesda.

I think with the update for it that now adds in stronger enemy's and more dangerous foe's the game is still appealing. I think I will continue to play until I have ran out of space to put in new rooms. At the moment I am trying to level everyone of my dwellers up to be perfectly matched to the room they are assigned to.

7. Freddymac1

Freddymac1 Member

Yeah, whatever our gripes with the game, this was a fantastic marketing strategy.

Fewer people would buy a minigame like this, so the exposure would be limited, but a free game? Blogs are still reviewing it!

#7 Freddymac1, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  8. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

I play it everyday. I kill folks off, let them fall down dead from rad poisoning. Let the death claws ravish the sick. Good times

9. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I thought it was fun! Kind of addicting actually

10. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I only played it for a little while before my phone broke, but I had a lot of fun with it. When I get my new phone that's the first game I'm downloading for it.

11. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the best mobile games I've ever played, if not the best. Overall I think the game is pretty darn flawless, I have no complaints at all. The graphics are amazing (it's actually better than most of the 'big' mobile games that I've played - that The Walking Dead game app, for example), the gameplay is great as well and being able to rush rooms is a really nice touch.

12. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member

Im in love with the game! My favorite part is making real families. I have people in my shelter named after real people or book characters when they look alike and I sometimes make whole families. Also, love the competitive aspect of it, making your shelter as amazing as possible.

13. themusicliveson

It was a great little time waster to tide us over until the release of Fallout 4 but man, it got old very quickly and I deleted it after a few months of playing it. The micromanaging you had to do got old fast.

And I hated how Deathclaws were easy to kill but radroaches could easily wipe out an entire vault. That was ridiculous.

14. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I will try playing the game on my Android phone today. It's been long since I tried any new phone game so far. I will come back to share my review on the app here.