Fallout 4 Will be More Successful than Skyrim

Discussion in 'Fallout 4 News' started by Jeff Bowles, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Jeff Bowles

Jeff Bowles Member

Even Forbes.com is predicting Fallout 4 will be bigger and more successful than Skyrim. I think they're absolutely right. The author of this article remembers being surprised by how successful the fifth Elder Scrolls game was, and I share the sentiment. I'm so stoked for this game I can't even see straight! Lol. This holiday gaming seasons is going to be epic, my friends. :)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/08/25/fallout-4-could-be-even-bigger-than-skyrim/

2. andkno

andkno Member

I hope they're right! it has been already 4 years since the Skyrim release so if Bethesda wants to stay in the game they should completely blow everyone's mind with Fallout 4, but I do expect from them to work harder to release the Elder Scrolls 6 and once again make a whole new legend in video gaming.

3. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

Although I enjoy Fallout's universe and premise more, I liked Skyrim a lot more than I liked FO3 and FO:NV. I'm hoping that this new installation changes that, but it's definitely a high bar that they've set for themselves. Even today, vanilla Skyrim is a top-tier game. I'm really excited to inevitably see TES IV in a few years, as well.

4. zerospin

zerospin Member

Fallout is a bigger and more recognized brand than TES in my opinion. While one can argue that Elder Scrolls came into mainstream view with the release of Morrowind, Fallout was already a legend at that time.

Both target different groups though, so it is hard to predict which will be bigger in terms of sales. You won't wind pristine and beautiful landscapes in Fallout, and I believe less people are attracted to postapocalyptic sci-fi than to classic high fantasy.

I like both series though so yay :)

5. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Member

Mannn, Bethesda has been making great games for so long, I will never be surprised. I still remember how mind-blowing Morrowind was to me. It was the perfect set-up for a game for me. I personally like the Elder Scrolls games a bit more because of the setting. I love the humor in the Elder Scrolls games, and how it is relevant to the world. But, considering this is even bigger and more grand than anything they have ever made, this does not surprise me. Lots of people who aren't huge gamers love Bethesda games, and I think Skyrim made a lot of people realize that. I remember Oblivion being huge at my school of mostly non-gamers.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Mhm, Bethesda really deserve it if things are going to be like that. I think Fallout 4 is going to be bigger than Skyrim as well, but we can always be surprised so let's not get our hopes too high up.

7. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am not entirely sure if it is going to be bigger then Skyrim, but I think it will be just as successful. Skyrim was one of the biggest and most successful games of this decade, so it will be really hard for Fallout 4 to top that, but who knows? I love Skyrim and I will definitely love Fallout 4, so no worries from my part. :D

8. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Member

Skyrim did come out later in the 360's cycle so more people owned one. I still believe FO4 will the game to own in regards to the new consoles and just gaming in general. I personally am saving to own a PS4 for before it comes out.

9. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

Elder Scrolls, as a whole, is probably more popular than Fallout, as a whole. Still, the hype behind Fallout 4 could be more than enough to propel the game passed Skyrim on the sales chart. Skyrim sold 20 million units, which is nothing to scoff at.

10. troutski

Regular

Then again, no Fallout game has come close to 15 million units sold, so Fallout 4 will have to take a big leap from its predecessors in sales to catch up with Skyrim. It's not impossible, but getting games to sell over 10 million copies is a dream that a majority of games never even come close to. Fallout 4 will sell, but 20 million units could be a stretch long-term.

11. troutski

Regular

To reach those kinds of numbers, games needs two things: A) a huge head-start during the first three days of release and B) really, really strong legs. Grand Theft Auto V had both of those things, which has led the game to 50 million copies sold across three releases. Fallout 4 will come nowhere near those numbers, but a head start over skyrim and better long-term performance could make the magic happen in the sales figures!

12. troutski

Regular

Since 2011, it's the fifth-best selling game of the 2011-2020 decade, which I wouldn't call that impressive to be honest. The next closest game on the list is 4.2 million units ahead of Skyrim. We're only 4 years into the current decade after all. Plus, since 2000, Skyrim ranks as the 22nd best-selling game, and that's even less impressive.

It sold a lot of units, sure, but calling it one of the biggest and most successful games of the decade isn't saying a whole lot.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, we have the likes of League of Legends and CS:GO and when you compare those games to Skyrim it doesn't seem that impressive, but you have to take into consideration that they basically sold a singleplayer game en masse in a society who loves multiplayer games. That's impressive.

36 people like this.
  14. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think Fallout 4's long-term success will hinge on its modability. Skyrim is still a ridiculously popular game, given that it came out several years ago, and I think the large number of user mods generated play a big role in that popularity. So long as Fallout 4 can follow suit and allow players to generate their own material without too much trouble, yes, it could very well take on Skyrim.

But will it have its own J'zargo? Of that I am not so certain.

15. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member
    Regular

There's no doubt that it will be moddable. It would be a very bad decision on Bethesda's part to work against the modding community, considering the modding community is a large part of what made their past games so successful. And hey, as long as there are mods, you can probably add your own J'zargo!

16. Somnus000

Somnus000 Member

I think that Fallout 4 has a wider mainstream audience appeal than Skyrim because of its satirical, post apocalyptic setting. I know plenty of my friends that are turned off by the fantasy tropes of dragons, undead, magic, etc.

17. troutski

Regular

See, what's going to happen here is that Fallout 4 might outsell Skyrim, and then the next Elder Scrolls main title will blow those figures out of the water. That's just how these kinds of things tend to go. I'd say that Elder Scrolls has the more popular titles when you look at the bigger picture, but that could change with Fallout 4.

Just remember, Fallout 3 and New Vegas combined couldn't get anywhere near the sales figures of Skyrim. I mean, it wasn't even close.

So Fallout 3 and New Vegas sold a combined 7 million units or so, mostly from Fallout 3. Skyrim sold 20 million units, so TWO games managed in the Fallout series managed to sell just over a third of what one Elder Scrolls game did.

I guess it doesn't matter. They're from Bethesda, and they're basically the same games with different weapons, skins, and lore. ;)

18. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

I think the entire fan base for Fallout will have a lot to do with the success of Fallout 4. It's definitely gonna up the sales, even more so with all the hype surrounding it.

19. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, duh! Of course it will be more successful. There are more gamers now in 2015 than there were when Skyrim came out. And there are more fans of Bethesda games in general. It'll be a success for sure.

20. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Whatever the statistics might tell you, Skyrim was by far Bethesda`s most successful game I think, and if Fallout 4 can live up to that, we`ll just have to wait and see.