Quantcast

Fallout 4 Team Spent A Lot Of Time On Refining Weapons and RPG Elements

Discussion in 'Fallout' started by Todd Black, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Todd Black

Todd Black Well-Known Member Regular

For a game like Fallout 4, where doing almost anything is possible, you wonder where Bethesda spent a lot of time on certain things. Did they focus on the landscape more? Or combat and RPG aspects? Did they do what they felt would be best? Or go by what they thought the gamers would enjoy more?
    Well, Pete Hines talked about this topic, and though the overall game was a priority, certain aspects did receive a lot of focus. Mainly, weapons and combat.
    “The first-person combat, [both] the guns and melee is something the team spent a lot of time on trying to improve so that it felt like a good first-person shooter, as opposed to a ‘well it’s an RPG so it’s good enough’ approach,” says Hines. “I think they wanted to really push on the action and combat aspect because it is something that you spend so much time doing in a game like Fallout 4.”
    They also focused on the interactivity of the world, and the places and items you can touch and interact with.
    “Every single item in the world is a real object that has physics, and can go bouncing off of walls, ceilings and floors, [or] can be picked up and put down somewhere else,” he says.
    “So I think [the development team] has continued to try more and new ways to control the chaos and to still allow the players this almost unlimited freedom because that’s ultimately what the game is about. Be whatever you want. Go and do whatever you want.”
    Got to love a team that thinks about what the gamers will be doing vs. what they WANT them to be doing. Right?

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I'm glad! Everyone loved the weapons in FO3, I'm glad they're expanding on it. Combat and weaponry is a huge part of the game, so refining it makes a lot of sense.

3. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

Good, I am liking how the new weapons system is looking, reminds me of a Final Fantasy X-2 since it is kind of semi-active gameplay system, prob take a while to get used to but will be worth it in the end.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Fallout 3 had a pretty good combat system and weapons indeed, glad they carried that out to Fallout 4 as well. The release will probably be solid!

5. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

The combat is always the weakest aspect of Bethesda's games, so it needed a lot of refining IMO. Though the FO3 and NV combat was alright, but I hope they keep refining the combat for the next TES game. TES games have absolutely horrible combat that make them unplayable for me, specially after playing fantastic actiong-RPGs like Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma...

6. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member Regular

Now that the game is finally out I can say that they should have also dedicated sometime to making a proper pc version and not a half-assed port like they ended up delivering. Other than that the game shines in its combat, but is heavily lacking in RPG elements.

7. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I think the customization options on weapons and armor is just crazy cool. They definitely spent a lot of time getting that right. As for the RPG elements, I think Fallout 4 is the most RPGish game that Bethesda has ever released. The main story is really good, the side quests are also really fun and feel really important, and not just dumb fetch quests. And the game has some epic set pieces during the story as well as many surprises in those side missions. I think the time the devs spent on refining the rpg elements paid off totally.

8. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

Ohhh yes they did. Combat is more fluid than ever, the story is more immerisve, tons of weapon mods and crafting, Bethesda went all out.