Quantcast

Expectations of Multiplayer?

Discussion in 'The Division' started by ArdanIsBest, Aug 29, 2015.

1. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Well, isn't that the whole point though? Like, you coordinate between each other on strategies and whatnot, and not having other players hear you. Although, if they're trying to do something like DayZ, then I just don't see how this team based game they have in mind can work they way they want.

2. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

This has been confirmed and touted as one of the features of the game. You walk along and you get to signage of the Dark Zone, and as your character is scaling the fence, you're basically going from single player to PvP multiplayer in a seamless fashion (meaning no loading screens). They basically load it while the animation is happening, but it's pretty impressive.

3. d'arakh

I can't believe I missed that. Like, I watched that video, and I remember that fence scaling and I remember narrator saying how it's transition between maps or whatever, but I seem to have completely forgotten it's transition between PvP multiplayer and single player. That is really cool.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  4. Cyborg Superman

@d'arakh there was so much awesomeness in that trailer, I don't blame you at all for missing that. Loading screens are so annoying, that it's nice to know devs are working on eliminating that hindrance, even if it's a "hidden" loading screen; after all, the loading is still happening, it's just happening while your guy is scaling the fence... I wonder how it'll look when there's lag... Will your character take 5 minutes to go up a 4 foot fence? lol.

5. BoxofCereal

BoxofCereal Member Regular

I have high hopes for the multiplayer aspect of this game, and I think it's where it will truly shine or falter. Online games thrive on their multiplayer portion, so I think that's where the developers will focus their resources and time, and hopefully that will show in a great product at the end. If this game ended up without any singleplayer aspect (not that I want that or think it's at all likely) it could still be a real contender for people's time. It reminds me of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, which has seen a huge spike in players over the last year. That's because it captures skill-based, team-focused play very well. If The Division can do that, it will see a happy, healthy player base. So I guess you could say I expect Counter-Strike with RPG elements.

6. d'arakh

Lol, I don't think that'll be the case. I have to think that since they've decided on such an ambitious (and above everything very cool) concept that they have to know how to pull it off. I'm getting worried with these constant delays, but I hope that means they're just perfecting the game.

7. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member Regular

Delays are way better than getting a game that doesn't work when it comes out. The delays worry me too, but I'm sure it's for the better overall. As for the concept, I'm sure they've had enough feedback, and enough previous experience to pull this off. So far, the reviews are good, which is perfect for what we need.

8. Cyborg Superman

Exactly... It's normal to be nervous about such an ambitious game, but I'm really encouraged by the reports that have come out from people who've played the alpha, but to be honest the multiplayer was the part that worried me the least since they seemed to have focused a great deal on it since the start.

9. Maelalove

There is such a thing as focusing too much on multiplayer though. If they created a concept with the multiplayer, and the concept they focused on was bad, then a whole lot of issues are going to come into play. It could potentially ruin a game if it's such a huge focus to it and it flops. But I do agree, there have been a lot of good reviews about it so I'm trying to worry less in general with it.

10. Cyborg Superman

Oh you're right, if the multiplayer sucks, it sucks. There's no way around it. I guess I feel (and maybe I'm out to lunch) that it would be tougher to screw up a 3rd person shooter multiplayer THAT bad as opposed to really messing up the single player. I could be totally wrong though, lol.

11. Maelalove

I'm not really sure how much of a difference in difficulty it would change. Multiplayer can still be about content too....

12. Cyborg Superman

But you can have games (like say, Call of Duty) where the single player is OK, but the multiplayer is where it's at is what I mean. It just seems tougher to mess up MP because even if the story sucks, if the multiplayer game play and mechanics are good, you would overlook a stupid story. This is tougher to do with single player since the story is usually the focus.

Maelalove likes this.
  13. Maelalove

I mean, I understand what you're saying and I somewhat agree with it. Games are definitely more fun with multiplayer, even if it's just shooting and stuff. But I feel like things like campaign stories and stuff like that can be just as fun with story, and that sometimes people are going to want to go through these stories with friends and stuff.

Cyborg Superman likes this.