Quantcast

Exclusive Pokemon

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Gyrfalcon, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon Member

How do you feel about Pokemon that can only be obtained via wireless events?

It's probably the one aspect I really don't like about Pokemon. To me, it breaks the immersion of the game and just frustrates me because no matter what you do, you have to depend on an event to allow you to complete your Pokedex. Most of these event-exclusive Pokemon have neat stories tied to them that could easily enrich gameplay and make for an exciting catch!

2. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I agree, sometimes it's even location-based so it discriminates people who can't access those locations/stores to get the Pokémon.
    Besides that they are usually extremely strong so they can't even be used in the game if you want to have any challenge whatsoever.

3. Zerth

Zerth Member

It's good that you mentioned this, because that's probably one of the major reasons I don't like the Pokemon games that much is that you have to do the wireless stuff to get a certain item/Pokemon.
    It's annoying because my Wifi Doesn't work for some reason on my Pokemon games so I can't get the cool Pokemon and I can't complete my pokedex. It would be much better if it let you have the chance to obtain all the Pokemon.

4. KKrage

KKrage Well-Known Member

This, this is the main reason I hate Nintendo Pokemon games. I usually want a particular Pokemon when I've completed the game/league, and it always seems to be an event Pokemon. If it's an event Pokemon, I'm probably too late to get it. Another problem is that my WiFi doesn't work on Pokemon games so when the event is not over, I cannot claim it.
    It's so depressing that so many people can't understand.

5. Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon Member

It's heartening to see so many people agree with me and have such articulate opinions on the matter. To go a bit further, I think Event Pokemon would be acceptable and fun as long as they were originally available in game as well. Like, event Pokemon could have a few extra neat moves they normally wouldn't be able to get.

6. devilishomar

devilishomar Active Member

To be honest, I'm with you on not liking them. To me, a Pokemon game should stay within the offline limits because we all love exploring the Pokemon world whenever we hop on, and usually we'll hop on where there's probably no internet connection because of the portable nature of a console like the DS. I prefer everything coming in the game at one time, with no catch.

7. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I have never got any of the exclusive Pokémon they do look cool and all, but the only problem is they are overpowered if I were to acquire a few it would just be for show!

8. Oakster

I think it boils down to "every Pokémon should be obtainable in every game".
    After you finish the story and are in the post-game, there should be an area where every Pokémon would have a chance (no matter how small) to appear, that way you could actually catch them all, the only game that had them all available was the first one :)

9. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

well regardless of we think it is what it is, and it ensures that Nintendo, maximises its capital gain, and also it forces the users to be more sociable, some pokemon are only available through trade and specific versions as well

10. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member Regular

This is one of my main gripes with Pokemon. Those stupid special event Pokemon mess up the people who are completionists but can't get to the places or connect to the internet all the time.

11. RMCMage

I agree I remember in SoulSilver I wanted to complete the Giovanni sub quest, but since I don't have the Pokemon needed I am SOL.

12. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

I think it's a bit bullcrap but the Japanese eat up limited time events like god damn candy so that won't end anytime soon.

13. RMCMage

I agree, but their are a lot of people that go crazy for those limited Pokemon I wouldn't mind if it had any effect on the story of the game, but I don't know if it's still like that in X & Y hopefully it's not.

14. Oakster

The problem is that they get those events a lot more frequently than the rest of the world does, so it's a bit unfair to us outside of Japan :(

15. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Well, yeah I never said it was fair T_T but they really do get alot of them because they fucking FLOCK to them it's crazy.

16. Sharinflan

Sharinflan Member

If it's not location based and if it can be obtained wirelessly, then I think it's cool.
    Now, if it is only location based, or event based (remember the Mew you could only get in Japan in a parade?), then it sucks.

17. flamingor

flamingor Well-Known Member

I think event-obtained pokemon are okay- just as long there is only one or two of them. More than that would be unfair to the players who can't get to the location.

18. megadelayed

megadelayed Active Member

I think the location based locked pokemons should be unlocked in the game after a certain time period, as most people cannot attend to all of the events and this may lead to that they'll never even have a chance to complete the whole collection.

19. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I, on a personal level, dislike this aspect of the Pokemon games as a whole. However, under marketing terms, I can see the appeal for Nintendo as well as the consumer lucky enough to be capable of getting the Pokemon. Yes, I'm sour I don't usually get to get event Pokemon. However, at the same time, I know I'd be ecstatic if I did, simply because it's an event Pokemon.

20. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

Meh, I'm not that keen on the wireless events, but seeing as there is a thing called Action Replay, you can easily get the Pokemon on your cart and just pretend you got it from a wireless event. :p