Dragon's Dogma Online

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by Narukami, May 13, 2015.

1. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member
    Regular

Anyone else here kinda hyped up for Dragon's Dogma Online? It's an upcoming MMO of sorts (all players show up in the hub city to make parties, but only your party appears in the world/field) for PS3, PS4 and PC, developed by Capcom and based on Dragon's Dogma (which was one of the best RPGs last gen, IMO)

The game is looking really good so far, and it's based on one of my favorite action RPGs ever, so I'm really hoping that it turns out good. From what I've seen, the game itself is pretty damn solid, being basically a kinda MMO version of Dragon's Dogma. The thing is, it's F2P and I don't trust Capcom. I expect them to screw things up with insane micro-transactions :(

We also don't know if it will be localized or if it will be Japan-only.

Still, though, I'm hopeful that it has sensible micro-transactions and gets localized!

For anybody that wants to read about how the game plays so far, this Tumblr blog has a lot of information from someone that played the closed alpha: http://julien-schu.tumblr.com/tagged/ddon-writeup

2. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am definitely hyped up this game. I definitely enjoyed the original game for hours. Let's just hope this end up with the same fate as Monster Hunter: Tri, where it was released only in Japan.

3. Narukami

Regular

Definitely hoping it turns out alright and gets localized...

My biggest fear is that Capcom ruins it with microtransactions and doesn't localize it, and then they use this flop as an excuse to not make more Dragon's Dogma games :(

4. Touchstone

Regular

Yep, that's my main concern as well. I don't know how Capcom did micro-transactions in their MMOs in Japan but, I hope when this title comes here, it won't be too intrusive. For instance, costume and character packs seem alright.

5. Narukami

Regular

Yeah, I hope they aren't too intrusive. Apparently there's some gems you use to revive yourself when killed in the alpha, and they are cash shop items. Though apparently green gems (they revive you without any penalty) regenerate and gold gems (they revive you and give you invincibility for 2 mins) are only paid. You can also revive back at a temple for free but you get a stamina penalty.

So far, it doesn't sound too bad. But I wouldn't expect them to reveal how they're gonna monetize the game during the alpha.

Touchstone likes this.
  6. Touchstone

Regular

That's good to hear. It doesn't sound too bad, yet. We need to wait until closed or open beta to see what else will be stuffed in the cash shop. It has happened a few times before with other publishers where they added a lot of intrusive stuff into the cash shop during open beta or release time.