Quantcast

Don't Starve: Do you consider it an RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by sorrowscall, May 5, 2015.

1. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

Don't Starve is a game where you take on the role of one of a sleu of characters with various helpful personalities or items that all have one thing in common: survival. The entire purpose of the game is to survive until you kick the bucket. Given that you're given a role, can choose which role, etc. Do you consider the game to be an RPG? Or is it just a run of the mill single-player game? (we're not currently talking about it's sequel Don't Starve Too, which could technically be considered an MMO).

2. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Nope. You "play a roll" in every game to some degree. That doesn't really make it an RPG. Cus, I mean, that way you could argue that TF2 is an RPG. It may definitely be consideted a game with RPG elements, though.

3. MrGravyCakes

MrGravyCakes Active Member

No, this is a survival game. It is okay as a game but it is very much the same thing every time when you play it over and over again.

4. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

Well, it has some rpg elements. Then again, most games these days have some rpg element to them now. But Don't Starve best classifieds in the survival genre. Not even survival horror. Just survival.

5. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

Nope. It is a survival game and it's hard to survive for many days. It's like minecraft but hard.

6. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Like everyone else said, it's just a survival sandbox game. It's not really an RPG at all, since it doesn't really play at all like one. The only RPG element I can think of would be... mmm... maybe the crafting system?

Regardless, not an RPG at all. And the multiplayer isn't an MMO either (it's not "Massive", only "Multiplayer Online", as far as I know).

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

No, not really since it's kind of the same thing if you play it over and over.
    Still a good game though, I've been really enjoying it lately!

8. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Well-Known Member

The only rpg-like element in this game is that you gain some XP after your deaths. The amount of XP depends on how many days you had survived before dying ,and this XP is used to unlock new playable characters.