Does the Wii U need a successor in the near future?

Discussion in 'Wii U' started by FuZyOn, Sep 17, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Since the Wii U plays games pretty nicely without any hassle I wonder if it would be wise for Nintendo to release a new console, maybe for marketing purposes.

2. Honest Abe

Honest Abe Member

I don't know. Most of Nintendo's releases have been upgraded forms of the same platform, for the last several years. The Wii U and Wii are nearly identical machines. If Nintendo was going to release another console, they could keep the Wii U as the general machine and make a more hardware oriented, game friendly machine like the other two consoles. But I feel Nintendo knows their market, and plays to it: kids and parents of kids. Not to say Wii U can't be played by adults. I still play my Wii. But the market is not the same as gamers who want Halo 5 and Metal Gear Solid 5.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the Wii U is a great machine that still has a lot of untapped potential. People are saying the NX will be the Wii U's replacement, but I really hope that's not the case.

4. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I was just about to post this. I've read that it won't be super expensive, and will in some ways connect to the Wii U, but still... after only three years of life... sad.

From a marketing perspective, I think Nintendo's probably wise to move on. The Wii U made baby steps towards appealing to a wider demographic, but they weren't nearly bold enough. The system still relies on Mario games to make most of its money. I wish that weren't the case, because the Wii U could've been really cool with some creative implementation of the touch screen.

5. Spectre456

Regular

Yeah, I believe the NX is going to be something related to mobile gaming. Which isn't exactly a bad thing, but I can't say I'd be thrilled about it.

While I do agree that it might be time for Nintendo to move on from the Wii U. As someone who really likes the console I would be sad if they moved on so soon.

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

They're already making a new one, the NX. So that's already confirmed and there's not much to question. :D I think it makes sense because it's better for them to give it another shot with a new console rather than stick with a console that's not very successful.

7. Spectre456

Regular

A lot of people keep saying that the NX is a wii u replacement, but I'm not so sure. The little information they have released about it makes me think it's gonna be some sort of mobile platform. So, the Wii U might still have a couple of years left in it.

8. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it would be unfair if it doesn't have at least backwards compatibility. Not many people bought a Wii U but there are games that people really should play, so I'm hoping they'll re-release most of them. Think of games like The Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2 which didn't sold a whole lot, they need a second chance.

9. Spectre456

Regular

I'm pretty sure it will have backwards compatibility. That's been a staple of Nintendo consoles and handhelds for the last few years. Nintendo makes quite a bit of money with the VC releases of their older games, so I would be very surprised if they don't include it.

10. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Rather than a successor, I think the Wii U could use more variety in games that have diverse genres. I only brought one for Bayonetta 2 and maybe Zombi U, but the rest of the library didn't appeal much to me. The 3DS has a more diverse gaming library and I find it kinda disappointing. If more third party games with different genres came on the system, there wouldn't be much talk about replacing it so fast, imo.

11. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Considering that the Wii U is a commercial failure, and a pretty big one at that, yes. Nintendo is already developing a new console called NX, but we don't yet know whether it's a home console or a handheld. Generally companies will abandon commercially failed consoles quickly, regardless of whether userbase like them or not ( look at Sega Dreamcast ). I guess we're lucky that they are still supporting it regardless.

12. dabdab

dabdab Active Member

Definitely agree with alexd, Nintendo is probably going to abandon the Wii U as it bombed. Nintendo has tried to release many games to entice gamers but it hasn't worked very well and there's already some information on the Nintendo NX floating on the net. So it's probably a given that the Wii U is going to get shelved soon, even though it doesn't need a successor yet.

13. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

Actually, I'd say the fact that Nintendo didn't release many games was its biggest problem. The Wii U got so little third party support that Nintendo was the sole developer for, like, a year, and after that there were still fairly scant releases. The exclusives were cool - loved Mario Kart, for example - but it just wasn't enough. Hopefully if Nintendo does ditch the Wii U it learns from the mistake and beefs up its next system enough to accommodate current gen games on the Xbox One and PS4.

14. dabdab

dabdab Active Member

Nintendo not releasing the Wii U with many quality games was definitely one of it's problems. After 2014, many great games were released onto the Wii U and I feel Nintendo could have timed it better and released more games alongside the Wii U so the hype and buzz generated would cause the Wii U to become a commercial success.

However they definitely did try to do so even from the launch of the Wii U but these games were not the games their fans expected along with the target audience of the Wii simply not seeing a need to upgrade eventually contributing to the flop.