Quantcast

Does Skyrim to you feel more like a single player MMO or RPG?

Discussion in 'Skyrim' started by RMCMage, Nov 10, 2013.

1. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

To me it feels more like an MMO since even when the stories end the game never stops.

2. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

It's an RPG. A single player MMO just sounds weird because MMO means massively multiplayer online.

3. Tykain

Tykain Member

Skyrim doesn't have an MMO feel at all to me.
    It feels like just any other single player RPG, which is not a bad thing. The game might continue after you complete the main story, but the gameplay is nothing like an MMO and obviously it doesn't have other players that you can interact with.

4. chartedlife

chartedlife Member

I've never felt that it seemed like an MMO, it doesn't have other player and it seems to have much more depth than an MMO would have even after the main story.

5. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member Regular

Skyrim for me is just a free roam/sandbox style RPG where I find fun ways to slaughter people. Although it is fun when it's all modded out and it looks really beautiful, shame the ESO game won't look nearly as good as a modded version of skyrim.

6. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

That is a good way of looking at it would be nice if in ESO you can add in your own visual enhancements, but that will most likely never happen.

7. jardantuan

jardantuan Active Member

It's an RPG, definitely.

That said, it's a very different breed of RPG to the traditional JRPG (like Final Fantasy). While JRPGs keep you along a generally linear path, which adheres to a strict (and often unaffectable) story, Skyrim has you forge your own stories. They share a lot of common elements of course (like levelling, equipment, and even many aspects of lore are mutual), but they handle completely differently.

As others have already said, you can't have a 'Single player MMO' - it just doesn't make sense!

8. erronousRogue

erronousRogue Active Member

I think it holds up pretty well as an RPG. And the whole "YOU ARE THE SPECIAL GUY" makes more sense when there aren't another five hundred THE SPECIAL GUYs around to save the world with me.

The game that felt the most "singleplayer wow" to me was probably Kingdoms of Amalur, but that was sort of the point. They started out making an MMO, and then kinda forgot to finish it. The Elder Scrolls series was meant to be a singleplayer game from the start, and it shows heavily. Which is why it's interesting to see how they'll handle the challenge of making it into a multiplayer oriented experience.

9. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

Definetly singleplayer RPGs. The whole game would make no sense with 100 Dragonborns :)) But the NPC's dialogues and actions make them look pretty real, it does have a slight feeling of "singleplayer MMO".

10. Psybe

Psybe Well-Known Member

It's an RPG. I'm not trying to be rude but 'single player MMO' is an oxymoron. It is massive though, so I can see how you got that part.

tinybutnotfangless likes this.
  11. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

First of all, an RPG is not mutually exclusive from MMO. They can both exist at the same time. Hence: Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, Massive Multiplayer Online Strategy Game, Massive Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Game, etc.

However, as someone else mentioned before, you probably meant to ask whether the game feels like a single player game more or a massive multiplayer online game more. Personally, I find the game feels more like a single player game. Even though you can mod the game and add more quests and characters to it, ultimately, the game is played by yourself. The virtual world feels lonely.

Psybe likes this.
  12. Delusional

Delusional Well-Known Member

More like a MMO. I like to interact with the people but I usually skip the stories they tell. I have an idea of what the entire story is about but don't ask me to write a book about it.
    I almost always play a mage so I'm always goofing around with the spell.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

To me Skyrim is very personal and character centered. Basically it is a game world, in which you are the hero, the most powerful one, and all the events and world changes are because of you. It is your personal sandbox, not an MMO, where you share your successes with a thousand others who did the same thing.

14. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Well-Known Member

Definitely feels like an RPG to me. It has everything an MMO would except for the fact that skyrim isn't online which totally makes it not feel like an MMO. I was always pissed about how Bethesda never added an online feature in any of there video games. Most Grand Theft Autos had an online feature and those games are just as big if not bigger, they are definitely more interactive that's for sure.

15. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

It doesn't feel like MMO at all. An MMO requires a lot of other human players. There should be interaction between players controlled by humans. Skyrim has none of that, there's no such thing as "single player masssively multiplayer online." The name doesn't even make sense.

16. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Well-Known Member

Definitely RPG as it doesn't have 182846593 different types of armour and weapons coming out every month. That, and it was ten times more complex and well made than any MMOs of the time. I saw that because ESO hadn't come out yet.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

I agree a single player MMO sounds off. MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online and if a single player game feels like an MMO then I think it doesn't make any sense.

Skyrim is a RPG! Why do people keep on telling "It feels like a RPG to me"? It is a RPG! It's a Role Playing Game. You pick a role and you play the game.

18. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

It is most definitely a RPG. the concept of a single player MMO sounds weird to me, though I suppose the only way it could make remote sense would be if the game is single-player, but you have the option to turn on multiplayer on the fly and have other players enter your game. Of course, doing that would create a whole bunch of problems technical wise...

19. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

I agree with the others: it definitely feels like an RPG, which it actually is. If you want to see what a "single player MMO" feels like, go play Star Wars: The Old Republic. That's a Free to Play MMO in which you very rarely encounter/need other players. I even thought I was playing offline at one point.

20. llfsa

llfsa Active Member

Definitely feels like your standard RPG, just a bit more Epic and immersive.