Does GW2 have a future?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars' started by mddimehdi, Oct 9, 2014.

1. mddimehdi

mddimehdi Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I do not know the current state of the game.
    I do know that issues that were back then were not ‘fixed’ (hobo sacks and others) so this can mean that AN does not want to fix them or it is unable to do so (not enough developers / etc).
    I also know that there are no new dungeons… Now this is a big question mark.
    Is this game going somewhere (better)?
    I keep reading (I came back to take a look for myself, and I also read the forums a bit) that all AN cares is skins, money, and not game issues etc.
    Is that just misinformation?

2. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

There actually is some clear sign that game wouldn't be developed or updated anymore although there are some serious bugs. However, I hope that they keep updating it since it would benefit everyone.

3. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

The problem with purely free to play games is that they will always have a cut-off point faster than paid to play games such as WoW. People complain about WoW subscriptions, using the GW2 example, but often fail to see that WoW has lasted since November 2004 to the present time. That's one month short of 10 years. How? Because it has a P2P business model and a highly focused team.

GW2 on the other hand is made up of an initial set of developers, then as a follow up, they rely on a skeleton crew for community support. It still has some life. I liked GW2. I rather GW2 was Paid to Play, with a dedicated team that worked on improving the game.

4. KKWND

KKWND Member

I'm sure there will be a small increase in player base from the next Expansion, but after the contents have been dried out . . . It will probably more or less revert to its current number of players. I mean it definitely has a future in that it will be a relatively low population game compared to the other more popular games in its genre.

5. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

I think it will always have a cycle of players going back to the game. What I don't see is people playing the game for long periods, it is almost a seasonal game for the original players, where you wait for new content releases check them out then come back in a few months. It is a bit of a downside to the games format i guess.

6. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Like all new MMOs they struggle to grow because they lack established content like the older ones. WoW sees the same cycle whenever there's new expansions. However because it has 10 years of stuff built up, it can still retain a decent level of paying members. The thing about new MMOs is that economics show that people aren't interested in a pay to play method anymore because of this issue.

7. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I think they will always have a future until NCSOFT shuts it down. Why? FREE TO PLAY. That's right, no monthly. This draws a BUNCH of people who just want to keep the game installed and play it casually. Will the game "Decline" for Hardcore users? Sure. But there is so much content to do, and replayability for alternate characters I don't see why it would suffer. Just like GW1 being free to play, their model will ultimately make them the winner.

8. Briggs

Briggs Well-Known Member

Honestly, I really hope it does have a future. I really enjoy it and would prefer to be able to enjoy it a while longer

9. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I don't think it'll be failing at least in a ten year span. GW1 was 2004 and it's still going 11 years later. I expect a healthy life unless NCSOFT goes under.

10. xSentaru

xSentaru Member

No, not by any chance. With the new expansion coming up I doubt ArenaNet will go bankrupt or anything like that. GW2 does have a bright future ahead and I personally cannot wait to be part of it.

11. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It does have a future because it's only just the beginning, it is a different type of MMORPG and it is the future of MMORPG games, because it went out of the ordinary questing and PVE system and all that crap that I don't like. I love the fact that it's not Pay to Play like WoW, and it certainly makes it unique. I believe the developers are doing alright in terms of money since the game generates a lot of income from other sources in the game, such as people buying gems, etc. I would think it's going to improve even better.

12. PaintedSloth

PaintedSloth Member

I think so, but ANet needs to step up their game. Increase the level cap, add new races, and have more frequent content updates. Without this the game could become less popular and die off :/ Wonder what the next big MMO will be.

13. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

It's hard to say. The game doesn't really seem to be that popular any longer, though it is entertaining enough. I like the unconventional leveling system, and I especially like the manual dodge. I wish more games had that feature. The addition of an area the player owns in the city is also pretty sweet. I hope that ANet doesn't stop updating it, but we'll just have to see how it goes.

14. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

They already have quite a lot of races and a lot of customization and variation of classes, I don't know why you would ask for more.

Doesn't seem to be that popular? Have you seen how large the maps and servers are?

15. Athilea

I'm just going off of what I've noticed, and the fact that they have had to do the whole multi-server zone thing. That tells me that there's a population problems. I'm not sure what Map sizes have to do with popularity.

16. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Well-Known Member

I don't think low and medium level map sizes have anything to do with any MMO's population. Even downscaling and level-adjusted drops don't help too much, as we saw in the case of GW2.

17. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

There's no multi-server zone. There's only one server where all can play on, they just teleport to other "hidden" servers that all connect to one big server if they want to play with other specific people. I mentioned the map because people are scattered all over it and the fact that it's huge it shows how many people are in the game. The popularity can be shown through how massive the map is, for example, LOTRO has huge maps and it is pretty empty, that's not the case with Guild Wars 2. The population is pretty big.

18. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

That's not true. Look up what I said.

19. Athilea

I don't know that what your're saying is accurate Kyler. Considering I've seen large groups of people in a single zone, and none of them were from our server. They didn't seem to be with people from our server either. That tells me that there's a cross server type thing going on like they started doing in World of Warcraft. Which, I understand in WoW is due to the fact that there are no people in the lowbie zones. It could, theoretically, be the same for GW2 I suppose. I haven't looked into it that much with them.

20. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

I think there will always be a player base for Guild Wars 2, but it will never be a dominant game on the market. Just isn't enough to do in the game and there are better games out there that people are more attatched to. But F2P will keep it competitive in the upper tier of MMO games as far as player base.