Quantcast

Does anyone want to see a Dragon Quest rpg on the PS4/XB1?

Discussion in 'Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior' started by thepieeatingjay, May 3, 2015.

1. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

Dragon Quest is one of the staples of jrpg games. But for a long time, the franchise has been on Nintendo's systems exclusively for the most part. After Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2, it's been all Nintendo ever since.

Initially, that's no problem. But the fact is it would be nice to see a Dragon Quest game that actually pushed power. And it's no secret that Nintendo is notorious for making underpowered systems. So it would be nice to see Square Enix make a push on the PS4 or XB1

2. summerforest

summerforest Member

I don't think pushing the limits of graphical power really fits with Dragon Quest, to be honest. The series has never been about the spectacle... of course, the visuals in the more recent games are very gorgeous thanks to the art direction, but when I think of DQ I think of the charm and how easy the series is to pick up and play. I've always seen the graphical power as more of Final Fantasy's thing, at least since the PS1 era. Plus, JRPGs are more of a handheld genre nowadays. There is the spinoff Dragon Quest Heroes that has a PS4 version, and I suppose there is the possibility future games could receive a PS4 port.

3. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Damn, you nailed it! Dragon Quest is definitely not about the spetacle, its graphics are more charming than marvelous, so it wouldn't benefit that much from a PS4/X1 game. And JRPGs are definitely more of a handheld genre nowadays, there's no denying that.

I think Dragon Quest is doing really well just sticking to Nintendo handhelds for the most part now, really. Though I would still like to see one on PS4, even if it were little more than an HD port of one of the handheld games (like Type-0).

4. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member Regular

Well, I think it has found a better home on the Nintendo handhelds. The Dragon Quest series has not really been about pushing technical standards, they've been more about the journey and the all the stories occurring during it. Not to mention the charm, and all the unique and "cute" enemies you'll face.

5. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I wouldn't mind if they were to put it one either the PS4 or Xbox 1, but I think it fits better on a handheld console like others said. They have a set routine and it shouldn't be broken just to get more sales in or whatever since it is already doing good.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

I would rather see it for the PC with updated graphics and a modern rendering engine.

7. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Well they're actually making a next gen Dragon Quest game now, and there's also a 3DS version so... win-win, right? Nothing wrong with choice.
    And since it's the Squareenix of today we're talking about, it's almost a given that we're going to have a PC version this time eventually even though maybe not at the same time the PS4 version releases.

8. TheRedCap

TheRedCap Active Member Regular

I'd rather see it on a PC platform since that's my platform of choice but I'm sure they would release it alongside the PS4 and XB1 as well.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

A new Nintendo console should come out pretty soon so maybe they'll make Dragon Quest available for that.

10. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Well there IS a Dragon Quest game on Steam... but it's a spin off. But hopefully one day we'll get an actual mainline title on there. :D

11. TheRedCap

TheRedCap Active Member Regular

Oh I had no idea. Do you know if its worth checking out?