Quantcast

Does anyone else think Tales of is slightly overrated?

Discussion in 'Tales of...' started by Narukami, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

True, yes, though it was justifiable before the PSP remakes of Persona 1 & 2, considering one had a terrible localization and the other requires a fan-made patch (they also have pretty crappy battle systems and ridiculously high encounter rates, but those are another issue) and they're also very very different from Persona 3 and Persona 4.

I have no issue with people considering themselves fans just based on those 2 games (unless they only play Persona and say they're hardcore Shin Megami Tensei fans!), since otherwise it would be kind of elitist to say "they haven't played all of the games so they're not real fans but I am", personally... but I do take issue with fanboys and their circlejerks, because they can poison the fanbase.

2. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't care if people think Tales is overrated. I'd rather it be though of as overrated than be like it was before, great underrated games with no recognition.

As long as it doesn't turn out the way Final Fantasy seems to have I'll be happy.

3. Yoyoenix91

Yoyoenix91 Member

I don't really consider the Tales series to be overrated, but I recognize that each game is of varying quality. None of them are particularly BAD (aside from Tales of the Tempest), but few of them really push the envelope. I think that Japanese developers like to try new things with each installment, but they also pander to the fans that they know will be purchasing the games... which are most likely otaku customers.

I really enjoyed Tales of Xillia, and I can't wait for the sequel, so I guess Namco-Bandai is in a decent position right now.

4. Narukami

Is Tales of Tempest that bad? Despite the issues I have with the franchise, I didn't really think a main entry would be particularly bad.

Also, I was thinking that the one that I enjoyed the most was Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology, which is a crossover. It's sad that RM2 and RM3 never got localized but there are some partial translation patches... I'm considering giving RM3 a shot with a translation patch, maybe after I get around to beating Vesperia.

Which one is the best of the PS3 releases?

5. jptrey06

jptrey06 Member

What tales game have you played you played before? Because last gen the tales series is way better than final fantasy 13/-2. Xillia is so great, Vesperia is good and Graces F is OK, those 3 are way better than FF13 series.

Fun battle system with a pretty interesting story. (Out of the 3 Graces has the worst story)

Symphonia is so good that I am going to play it again for the 3rd time.
    The storyline isnt as good as persona thats for sure but persona is a dating sim/RPG so thats is going to be expected.

6. Narukami

Comparing Tales to FFXIII is kind of silly, they're very different games despite belonging to the same genre. I find that the extremely different settings and characters alone make them hard to compare. I enjoy XIII.

I played Tales of Eternia on PS1 years ago but don't remember much of it. I played Radiant Mythology 1 on PSP but never beat it, it was the one I've enjoyed most. I also played Vesperia but the dumb cliche characters were really annoying so I didn't get far into it.

I might grab Xillia if I see it cheap, I've heard lots of good things about it so I hope I'm not disappointed whenever I grab it.

7. Yoyoenix91

Yoyoenix91 Member

Maybe 'bad' isn't the right word... but Tempest was so mediocre that it actually started off the distinction between Mother and Side entries in the series.

Tales of Innocence proved much better. Shame Tales of Hearts' fan translation isn't finished yet.

8. galactica

galactica Member Regular

Tales of Symphonia was great. But yeah, the main appeal is the combat. The story is often generic, and they're all kind of the same. The art style and battle system make them worth playing though.

9. Navi45

Navi45 Member Regular

I don't think it is overrated. It definitely isn't anywhere near the overratedness that Final Fantasy is.
    True, some tales games are generic but alot of the main titles are good.
    Only a handful are masterpieces though. (I'm thinking Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia. I haven't played any of the handheld or recent ones so I can't vouch for them.)

10. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Does anyone think _________ is an overrated game? Yes, no, maybe, whatever. I think every game (hell, every piece of entertainment ever produced) that has achieved a modicum of success has had this question asked about a million times, and it's ultimately futile to ask, because it's always dependent on your personal point of view. You might as well just ask 'Do you or do you not like Tales of games?' and be done with it.

11. edy

edy Active Member Regular

Tales is overrated, in my own personal opinion. Tales is another game out there among many. So many others are also overrated, that it can make one sick to think about.......