Do you think Minecraft PvP takes skill?

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Whitewolf2578, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Malhar Patel

Malhar Patel Active Member

LOL, no skill at all. Whoever can click the fastest and whoever's ISP is the best.

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

Well that's my point too, if you have a diamond everything and the other guy has only wood then it's just a matter of who hits who first. But there's no real strategy.

3. troslim

troslim Member

Even though it seems straight-forward and easy to do, I do think there is a little bit of skill involved. Of course, if you have better armour and a better sword, you are more likely to win a PvP battle. Another aspect of PvP is the way you position yourself against your opponent. This is were you can use your skill. You also have to feel comfortable with your weapon. For example, it takes some skill to use the bow. Anyone can shoot the bow, but you have to be skilled to hit shots while the other player is running.

4. Rgrimes

Rgrimes Well-Known Member

I don't think it requires skill, I think its more on the element of surprise. The mechanics are too simple enough to have any real skill of PvPing.

5. LightJeep

LightJeep Well-Known Member

Maybe skill is only involved when using the bow, you have to aim it perfectly to hit your enemy or else you will get killed easily. But in a battle between diamond equipment, whoever clicks first wins. :p

6. Lockfreed

Lockfreed Member

I agree with this. There's some skill involved when you actually get two people half decent with it and can avoid each other well and block. But by and large, it's just a clunky clickfest and getting hit can really interrupt you. If someone surprises you, or if you lag at all, you're pretty much boned.

7. ciorex

ciorex Well-Known Member

Ok let me describe why it takes skill to PVP in Minecraft, I play lots of hunger games and battle domes so I know what I'm talking about here. Many times in battle dome since basically everyone has full iron and maybe a few enchants everybody is evenly matched according to your reasons, though in battle dome there has been many times that I have taken on 2 or more people at the same time and won, and that with my terrible PC at 25 FPS. So right there I proved it has nothing to do with frame rate or weapons and armor, but I'm not done. The reason why some people are better than others is because while in battle there is no perfect fighting style such as Bajancanadian never jumps while he fights, all he does his circle around the enemy, and he is very skilled. The way I fight is run and jump right through the person while attacking them, then when am flying through the air I turn towards them and land then attack some then repeat.

Yes clicking really fast helps but that's not all of it. The most important thing is to evade and dodge your opponents attacks as well as attacking them. Doing both of those while trying to keep track of you're enemy is a very challenging thing to accomplish.

8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Well-Known Member

Not to the degree of say call of duty, no. I guess it takes a little but if you are using a bow as you have to aim. But overall I don't ink it takes a whole lot of skill whatsoever.

9. Maranesi

Maranesi Member

Minecraft's PVP has many variables to consider. The skills, obviously, the armor, your weapon, the enchantments... And the ping. Sometimes it seems that those with the lowest ping always wins. FPS plays a big role too, and don't forget the luck! ;)

10. johnftaylor

johnftaylor Well-Known Member

There is quite a bit of skill involved in the combat of minecraft, albeit very negligible compared to those hardcore rpgs that require lots of strategic moves and careful timing and execution.

Although little, you do have to familiarize yourself with the controls and movement of your character, such as pressing wasd to circle around your opponents, making you a less easy target, as well as jumping round to the back your opponent to leave his attacking radius, giving you some time to spam in a few hits before he turns his head around. Another good method will be to press the right click immediately after left clicking to block a good portion of the damage (This is very effective! :)).

However, these are all very basic and what is required of you to land damage on opponents is the fast clicking of a mouse, sharp and clear mind to respond to the changing situations and good armour. The most essential factor to winning a combat is good armour and weapons. An extremely skilled person in iron armour will never beat one in an enchanted diamond set, all it takes is just 2-3 swings of the sword and the iron armour will leave you dead.

11. insertkittyface

insertkittyface Well-Known Member

Not really. All you need is good armor and good weapons, nothing more, really. Now, if there's mods involved, maybe a little.

12. aeferd2

aeferd2 Member

From my personal experience whoever hits first in PvP wins the fight due to the knoback mechanic of minecraft. My experience of the pvp is limited to a couple of times my friends and I did it, but I didn't find it very fun, although I'm still most likely wrong.

13. TheRealChris

TheRealChris Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes, it takes skill. You've got to know how to hit more than you got hit. That is the only way you will be able to win every fight. In most cases of any fight, really. If you've got the better armor, it makes the job even easier for you. If you learn how to Strafe and Criticially Hit your opponent, you will have the significant advantage over them.

14. SecretlyTaco

SecretlyTaco Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't think it takes a lot of skill, especially compared to other games, but there's definitely some in there, but yeah, I agree that it's almost always a win to the person with better gear.

15. Rgrimes

Rgrimes Well-Known Member

I don't think PVPing takes skill, there are hardware such as mouses which have "rapid fire" functions which allows you to hit the person very rapidly. Not only this, but there is coded software called "Hack clients" which have features such as an Forcefield function to hit any entitity that is near you.

Minecraft does not require much eye co-ordination, so in conclusion, I think that Minecraft PvP does not take skill.

16. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Well-Known Member

Not really, there a ton of other MMORPGs with extremely intricate mechanics and Minecraft is not one of those games. It's all about gear in Minecraft.

17. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

Meh, not really. I've PvP'd a lot because I play on faction servers and raiding servers, and I can honestly say that Minecraft PvP is too simplistic and boring. If you have a good mouse and are able to click fast while aiming at your opponents, have a good ping and FPS, then you can almost beat anyone in PvP, really. Along with that, I think the Minecraft PvP community is somewhat disgusting. Whenever someone beats me at PvP, there's a high chance they will respond with "ez" or some other senseless insult.

18. LIGHTSOUT

LIGHTSOUT Well-Known Member

Nope, just time and equipment.

19. askanison

askanison Well-Known Member

To some extent you are correct, might will make right in the end. If a player is more adept at playing than another though it will still be a battle with the outcome up in the air. I have seen mediocre players get lucky and take out someone with way more powerful weapons. Just kinda depends i guess.

20. MissBin

MissBin Active Member

I think it doesn't take much skill, I mean it is important that you aim right or move to dodge enemy but that's pretty much it. I agree that equipment plays big role in fights too but still if you are real PVP fighter you can kill anyone no matter what equipment he wears.