Do you think Minecraft PvP takes skill?

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Whitewolf2578, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Whitewolf2578

Whitewolf2578 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I honestly don't think it takes any skill, the person that wins is the one with the best armor and enchantments it would seem. People say it takes a lot of skill, but jumping around has never worked on any game with PvP, at least I am never fooled by it. "The winner will be, who can click the fastest!"

2. Aprax

Aprax Well-Known Member

Not really. There are many other games with more in depth combat mechanics. Minecraft's combat system is pretty basic and it's obvious that it was just thrown in there for the sake of being there.

3. JackHaal

JackHaal Well-Known Member

We'll, I do think that it takes skill a person with better armor may lose to a person with worse armor and maybe even worse weapons! This is because you need To be skilled to defeat your pippin ent. Otherwise, it wouldn't even really be called pvp.

4. Reeyuru

Reeyuru Well-Known Member

It definitely is a lot simpler of a system than other games, but I think the way you position yourself and how you use your environment can be part of the skill. You are right though. If you have iron armor and someone else has diamond armor, chances are you won't have that much of a chance.

5. Jim Flowers

Jim Flowers Well-Known Member

To some degree yes, but mostly no. I do enjoy some PvP from time to time, but don't consider it a major feature of Minecraft.

6. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

As with any PVP system in any game, there's a bit of a skill cap that is involved that allows you to be better at PVP. While it's a lot more simple of system than most games, there's still some things you can work on to be better than other players.

7. ACN

ACN Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say its "Basic" mainly because Minecraft has enchantments which you can put on your bows, swords, etc and they also have potions which give you an advantage

8. Tobi

Tobi Active Member

Not really sure why. It's true that PVP could be so easy or fortuitous but not always. You've a lot of enchants and ways to combine your equipment and it really carries the weight situation. Also, we have to take into account that the ability could be important too. Yeah, I know, it's a little bit strange to say this but it's true. If you think about it you will remember some situation where you lose against someone with the same equipment.

9. Lukey

Lukey Member

In some ways it does, in some ways it doesn't.

The Minecraft PvP needs good reaction time, as people will be jumping about everywhere.
    Clicking speed also matters though, the faster you click the more you damage.

10. Robbinho14

Robbinho14 Well-Known Member

Click speed is really important but also the way you move. theres this thing called ''strafing'' wich means you Hold up and right/left key at the same time while sprinting so you can avoid his combo hits on you. Its just some basic things you gotta practice!

11. theninjawoohoo

PvP takes barely any skill at all. All you have to do is spam the mouse and click rapidly. There is absolutely no mechanic to PvP other than sprinting, jumping and running around hoping that your opponent does not have as many hearts as you do. It is boring to my opinion.

12. brandon0818x

brandon0818x Active Member

It might take a small amount of skill, but not much. You can block and dodge, but that's about it! Besides that whoever has the better armor or better weapon wins. You just spam click and attack as fast as you can!

13. JayLee

JayLee Member

Straight up melee combat doesn't really take a lot of skill, it comes down to who has the better armor and weapons, and who hits first. I mean, you have to know the "basics" (jumping around to get critical hits and dodge), but once you're familiar with that, it's really anyone's fight.

In terms of using a bow and arrows, it takes a bit more skill. You rarely get targets that aren't moving so you have to be able to predict where someone's going.

Other than that, I think things like strategy are minimal. If anything, more goes into trying to get the preemptive strike rather than actual "during the fight" strategy.

14. Lolman112

Lolman112 Well-Known Member

Minecraft wasn't really built around combat. The combat was built around resource gathering. I don't think they needed a more difficult combat style. This would've probably confused more starters and maybe minecraft wouldn't be this popular.

15. SpaceGuy

SpaceGuy Well-Known Member

I do not think it takes as much skill as other games as it does have a more basic fighting system, that being said there are a few tactics that can be implemented, but not much more than that.

16. Rgrimes

Rgrimes Well-Known Member

Well, the mechanics of the game is very simple and easy to play, but you can use the area around you to your advantage, like playing devil and jumping around lava or swimming in the sea. You can also some weapons and potions to your advantage like flint and steel, to light your enemies on fire and cause them to slow down, or throwing potions of damage/weakness can help too. Overall, you don't need that much skill but you can get defeated easily if someone plays their cards right.

17. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Just because something is 'basic', it doesn't mean there is no skill. Anything that requires a person to outdo the other person requires some level of skill. The original post contains a perfect example of this.

Let's say Player A wears all leather armour and wields a bow. Then Player B wears all diamond armour and wields an axe. Both have only apples to eat and they're both in a forest at night seeking each other out to kill, amongst the many mobs around them. Indeed, Player B will have a much easier time defending him/herself against the mobs and the mitigation of damage from Player A, but Player A has range.

It's exactly like a medium-geared Hunter VS a heavily geared Warrior. It will take more skill for the Hunter to take down the Warrior, if they both have similar levels of PvP experience. Of course, if the Warrior catches the Hunter by surprise, a good two or three whacks with the axe can take out the Hunter.

I know this is a totally different game, but the idea is the same. In WoW, I was a level 16 Paladin where half of my gear was 'White'/Common and the other half were a mix of Blues and Greens. Without healing myself, I managed to kill a level 16 Warrior who was wearing all Blue (rare) gear three times in a row. He asked me how I was able to kill him three times consecutively when he was wearing all rares and I was wearing crap. I told him, "Gear makes up about half of PvP. Skill makes up the other."

18. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Well-Known Member

The mechanics enough are simple, so no I don't think it takes much skill. Movement and reaction tim, sure that would take some discernable amount of skill. Other than those factors, nothing else.

19. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

Not much really, I mean most of it comes down to who has the better arsenal of armor and weapons. I don't think theres a need for some serious skills and strategy there.

20. Lolman112

Lolman112 Well-Known Member

All diamond everything VS. All diamond everything
    It's not only about better arsenal. You've got to aim right to hit him and block.