Quantcast

Do you prefer RPG's or MMORPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by dieselfit, Dec 14, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfit Active Member

I honestly haven't played neither for a while but I have a tenancy to play more RPG's than MMO's. I know there's more MMO players since well it needs more people to play in order for it to be a MMO. Which do you guys prefer and why?

2. illusen

illusen Active Member

I prefer playing MMO's I guess because I like involving my friends in my hobbies. If I get into RPG mode I tend to forget to go out/answer my phone/answer Skype at times and that's not exactly healthy. If we're all playing an MMO, nobody even tries to call/convince me to go out and that super healthy! Oh wait... :3 Nevermind!

When there's a worthwhile MMORPG to be played, I will always pick that one. But lately I've been having problems finding one that both me and my friends agree on so I've just been replaying old content like Fallout, Dragon Age and Oblivion..

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Defiantly RPG's with MMO's I can't play enough to keep up with most and with MMO's the economy is totally messed up so if I want to play a new MMO its hard to make any money or profit and it takes forever to grind and get anything worth selling.

4. dieselfit

dieselfit Active Member

Ah agreed! You bring up a good point that friends should be involved or they would lose status as "friends" really. I'm guessing you got your friends into MMO's otherwise those same friends would be calling you to go out! But hey you always gotta get that workout in so you stay....healthy! I've tried Fallout but I really only played so much of the old one. You know the one that was popular back in the 2000's!

5. Rice

Rice Active Member

I never felt compelled to quite "keep up" with an MMO honestly, unless there's people I am playing with. Otherwise, there's always people new joining and people at your same level to play with. Though, I do agree that the economy is usually fairly unstable in most MMOs. Though, typically for quick money or profit, that's what micro-transactions and what not are for in terms of free MMOs anyway, to make things more convenient. And MMOs typically are fairly grindy no matter how you look at it, and profit usually has to come by either with luck at boss raids, marketing, or farming like no other.

On the other hand, I usually prefer RPGs due to typically a better storyline and an actual end to the game, with a fairly decent sense of accomplishment. Plus I find it easier to drop and pick back up later, nor am I constrained by certain event periods and what not.

6. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

For me it depends on the individual MMO. If it feels more like a traditional RPG like FFXI does I prefer it. Other MMO's though I dunno, it really depends if the game mechanics keep me entertained.

7. heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou Well-Known Member

I think they both have pros and cons. The main advantage of MMOs is that you can play with all your friends at the same time, which is a huge bonus in my opinion. Normal RPGs usually have much deeper and personal storylines though.

8. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

I prefer MMOs for the markets, but in every other way I prefer RPGs. Actually, in most MMOs I end up ditching my friends and soloing the game (or at least trying to).

9. Martin

Martin Member

I like whatever keeps me entertained the longest. Usually that means MMO's, but there are some RPG's, such as Morrowind, which have a very active modding community who add enough new content to the game to keep me entertained for an extremely long time. Plus, in general it seems to me like the stories of RPGs usually beat the stories of MMOs. You're unquestionably the main character, and this opens up some more narrative options I think.

10. jbeavis100

Yeah, that's the one nice thing about MMORPG's. I love being my own main charachter. For me it really makes it more immersive and engrossing if it's a character that I created and forged over time. Depends on how good the story in said MMO is although.

11. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I like story driven games so I'll have to go with RPG because I've yet to see an MMO that has a great story. If the RPG allows me to create my own character all the better like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Having a created character gives me an emotional attachment to what happens to the character.

12. jbeavis100

Really?, I think that FFXI really has a fantastic story with alot of very unique characters and generally was really a treat in between grinding.

13. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer ORPG, not MMORPG. In RPGs, you usally are "the chosen one", "the best", "the hero", etc... In MMORPGs, such thing has no sense, there's a whole bunch of chosen ones and it sucks :D That's regarding the storyline, as for the gameplay, MMORPGs tend to be more fun .

14. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

My problem with MMO's especially ones that you have to pay for adds up overtime I rather use that money for something else.

15. jbeavis100

I usually mod games like skyrim so that you aren't't the hero and any reference to you being the hero is taken away so it's a more immersive experience because otherwise you are one of thousands of other dragonborns who have played this game..

16. Rice

Rice Active Member

I agree with you in some regard. MMOs overtime tend to be much more costly than the average RPG game. Well, I suppose it actually depends on the game's payment model and how much you are willing to spend on the MMO. But for me, with free-to-play MMORPGs, especially, their micro-transactions they have in their cash shops especially for aesthetics and gachapon take a fair amount of change. I'm more than aware that it was my own choice and I did not have to pay for such conveniences. But if I compare to how much I invest overall in an MMO, whether it is P2P or F2P, it's typically much greater than a typical console RPG.

But you are probably paying less for the time you invested in an MMO compared to a console RPG, and honestly, most game subscriptions are not too bad at their monthly rate. I actually feel that it's cheaper than the F2P model.

17. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member Regular

RPGs typically lack a multiplayer component which is a huge hit to its potential since I love multiplayer/social games. However, a big aspect to making a game good is how immersive or in-depth it is. Games like the The Elder Scrolls series have this aspect down to a T, which is why they are so popular. The music, visuals,

MMORPGs can't support the kind of detail required for this level of experience, so the gameplay is often watered-down. The only MMO that really captures any sense of immersion is WoW due to its production quality. The only reason other MMOs haven't overtaken WoW is because they focus too much on gimmicky mechanics and features but not on the details and immersion of the game. WoW might be a grind fest like every other MMO, but it does a damn good job at hiding that fact. Most other MMOs make it obvious that you are doing fetch quests and grinding, and act as if that type of gameplay isn't inherently boring.

MMORPGs have a lot of potential but they are held back by lack of technology (server side hardware can only do so much when they have to service thousands of players) and the publishers looking to make money. They try to make the game appeal to the widest possible spectrum by appealing to the lowest common denominator, which is idiots who can't do complex puzzles, tasks or interactions of any kind.

Currently RPGs are far superior because the amount of people involved in MMOs is their biggest handicap. Eventually this might change.